Quantcast

For the 888 owners...I don't know if you ever saw this...

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I never said it was "professional". No need to be a smart a$$. No one was pumping, we were both sitting and still. Both bikes were brand new that year with only 5-10 rides and all were summer ridding. Neither bike had seen mud and neither had brake rub that we could hear or see. Even if one of these variables came into play the difference was very noticable. The 24x3.0 and 24x2.6 Gazzo pulled away from the SRY 2.5 Maxxis HRs. I know what I saw. I am not arguing here or trying to prove a point. I am just stating what we saw. We all found it hard to believe too.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Originally posted by ChrisRobin
Oh, as for the Rohloff system....well, on my frame I played around with the swingarm to see the chain stretch and it's minimal. The chain tensioner barely moves yet it's comforting knowing that it's there keeping tension onthe chain 100% of the time. I was impressed as to how tight the spring is...if only regular derailleurs could be as tight. I say it should be run WITH the tensioner just to be on the safe side.
I understand your line of thinking but for me in actual testing it didn't work out that way. There is a big set of stairs near where I was living at the time. Without the tensioner I could hit the stairs fine and never dropped a chain, I couldn't drop a chain because the chain couldn't come far enough off the front chainring to drop it even in the slackest position. I was using a DS style non-ramped front chainring, I didn't want anything making it easier for the chain to come off.

When I moved back to the tensioner (so I could use my full 5" of travel) I had to also sandwitch the front sprocket between two race face bash rings (cheaper than a chain guide and goes over logs smoother) because the tensioner actually allowed the chain enough slack to start smacking my chainstays and to come off the front chainring when hitting a series of high speed stutter bumps, like that big set of stairs. This was without even pedaling (I don't pedal down stairs), just the fact that the bouncing around pulled enough slack out of the tensioner for the chain to jump right off the front chainring.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
People shouldn't be surprised that the Gazzys roll faster than 2.5 SRY tires, or ST tires. Slow-rebounding tires roll extremely slow. It's a matter of friction; this is why BMX and road guys run 70 and 80 compound tires (at least for center tread).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by James | Go-Ride
People shouldn't be surprised that the Gazzys roll faster than 2.5 SRY tires, or ST tires. Slow-rebounding tires roll extremely slow. It's a matter of friction; this is why BMX and road guys run 70 and 80 compound tires (at least for center tread).
But it by no means that if you are rolling down a mountain, that a 3.0 will be faster, due to changing d irection with all the rotating weight, lack of traction, trying to pedal all that weight, etc...

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
Right, if Gazzy's were actually the "faster" tire in most situations, you'd see a lot more pros riding huge tires with the logos blacked out on the national circuit. I know the pro argument is usually bunk but with tires, there's a reason you don't see guys racing 'em. Anyway, three inch tires have their place and their advantages and disadvantages. How long has this discussion been going on now? Six years?

BlackDiamond

Chimp
Jan 25, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Well I Just bolted on:

The top crown would not fit :( so I used the stock Marz top crown and Risse's lower crown. Let me tell you that this thing is pretty, fit and finish was awesome. The steerer tube is thick; was a little rough getting the star-nut in, but well worth it. It actually lowered my ride height by about 1 1/2" there is about. I love having the "bolt" on steerer tube vs. pressed in. Everything clears, I only wish I could have used the top crown; damn tall stack height; but still looks very nice. :D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by DßR
wow, who woulda thought a bunch of stoners could crank out such a nice set of crowns? :p
You mean "a" crown...the top crown seems to be a victim of.....

dream4est

Monkey
Jan 28, 2003
Originally posted by James | Go-Ride
i have hit the same dj's on a 24x3.0/2.6 gazzi setup as a maxxis26x 60d 2.5/ 40d 2.35 setup and they both sucked ass. however when i changed out the rear of the maxxis setup to a 60d tire it was real fast. bottom line is the gazzis are slow, as are slow reezay tires. 50d or 60d maxxis tires are way faster than gazzis or 42 and 40d maxxis' tires. i do recommend the maxxis 60d minions; they roll fast enough to dj. i have two rear 40d minions and i will save them for super steep trails when you want to be slower. i was not impressed with the 40d tires overall. but i bet the sticky feel they exhibit would rule on slow freeride trails.