Quantcast

For the Guitar Gurus here

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Well, I came across a Marshall Artist 3203 and I'm thinking about getting it, but I'm just curious about the tube setup. I've never owned a tube amp, much less know any technical stuff about them.

Before I buy the amp, I'm wondering if I could get some help. About how much does it cost to replace a burned out tube? If anyone has had any knowlege of this particular amp, which specific tubes will I need for it? I guess that's about it at this point. Thanks.

Freddy

Chimp
Aug 10, 2004
Oslo - Norway
Replacing burned out tubes isn`t very expensive.
A matched pair of sovtek EL34 tubes (i don`t know if these are the tube the amp. in question uses, but since it`s a marshall it is pretty likely) costs aprox. 30 bucks.
Changing the tubes is a piece of cake, and can be done at home.
Just be carefull not to touch the tubes with your bare hands, as getting fat on them could shorten their life.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Awesome, thanks for the info. Exactly what I needed to know.

Edit: I have another question now. What exactly is the bias on the amp? I got the impression that it was the amperage going into the tubes, but I could be totally wrong. How do you set it?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I'd stay away from Sovteks....Just personal preference of course, but I've used them and was not thrilled. I'm much happier with Groove Tubes...

Oh and don't change just one. If you need to change one, you change them all.

But I've never had one actually burn out on me. I should change them more often than I do, but I guess I change them every two years or so.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
When replacing tubes, will I have to replace the pre-amp tube as well? I want to get a set for when these burn out. Being stuck w/o an amp due to not having any tubes is plain 'ol torture for me.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Bldr_Freerider said:
When replacing tubes, will I have to replace the pre-amp tube as well? I want to get a set for when these burn out. Being stuck w/o an amp due to not having any tubes is plain 'ol torture for me.
Bump, anyone?