Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Sooner™
---> <--- This close

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
CO is going to need all the water it can get just to sustain the growing population, nevermind for aesthetic purposes. Its past time to face the facts, the Front Range is a high desert, start acting like it.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Residential will just continue to buy out agricultural water rights...

View attachment 173263
Weld County has moooore beef cattle production than any other county in the US (or it did). Most of the corn raised in CO goes to feed production. Flood irrigation is still highly prevalent on front range farms. It is literally the most wasteful way to irrigate. I cannot remember the per acre water use with flood vs pivot or drip. But just changing to pivots would significantly lower the water use to raise cow chow.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
And those living in your area will eventually get desiccated/burned out.
It's already started... over 1000 structures burned in the suburbs in late December up near Boulder.

Weld County has moooore beef cattle production than any other county in the US (or it did). Most of the corn raised in CO goes to feed production. Flood irrigation is still highly prevalent on front range farms. It is literally the most wasteful way to irrigate. I cannot remember the per acre water use with flood vs pivot or drip. But just changing to pivots would significantly lower the water use to raise cow chow.
Yes - there's a *lot* of waste in the system - in both ag and residential.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Any idea what the per acre cost to upgrade irrigation is? Wondering what the expense is vs the payback.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Any idea what the per acre cost to upgrade irrigation is? Wondering what the expense is vs the payback.
I do not know exact number as we are pretty much all non irritated here.
But flood for the most part other than a lot of labor is almost free for the system. Most of the concrete ditches have been in place for decades. A pivot to cover 80-100 acres depending on brand would be 100-200k new or at least last time I priced one.
Drip is by far the most efficient but is also the most expensive. I had been told that would be buying the farm again to install.

With all that being said, I would assume shares of water are getting more expensive every year. So at some point the efficiency of a system would outweigh the initial cost.