Quantcast

For those that were interested in the 9-10 speed rear derailer adapters

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
im interested as well... i want a clutch 10 spd sram derailleur, and with this milled peice you are making, you can hook it up to a 9spd system ya?
if so.. im down

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Still have some, yes. However, I'm currently in the uk visiting family & all my stock is back home in Vancouver. The earliest I'll be able to mail any out is January 8th.

Rob

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
im interested as well... i want a clutch 10 spd sram derailleur, and with this milled peice you are making, you can hook it up to a 9spd system ya?
if so.. im down
As mentioned above, 9 speed SRAM shifter, 10 speed Shimano clutch derailleur...

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Also in the UK visiting family and won't need it installed any time soon, if the PayPal address listed is still correct I'll send payment.

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Feel free to send payment. PayPal address is still correct. I'll mail them out as soon as I get back & let you know when they go out.

Happy to post to the UK for the $5.50 postage costs.

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Back in Vancouver. I'll be heading to the post office tomorrow afternoon for anyone that sent payment whilst I was away. Thanks for your patience.

Last edited:

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Hmm. Good question! Up until recently there wasn't much in it & I didn't really care. I'm happy with Canadian, but if you only have a US PayPal account & it's cheaper to send US $ than incur the PayPal fees, that's fine by me too.

& yep. I have a few left.

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
big-ted, can you check your inbox?
Um, I don't have any messages from you, but my inbox may be full? I can't figure out how to empty my inbox with the new forum software...

Can you email me instead? rob[dot]stead2[at]gmail[dot]com.

In the meantime I'll try and figure out what's going on with my inbox. Apologies!

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
OK, PM's should be working now. Seems there was a bit of a glitch owing to my trying to delete several pages of PMs all at once.

lolaralph

Chimp
Aug 1, 2013
western PA
i've bought a couple of the adapters and they've worked flawlessly, i just picked up a shimano 615 deraileur for my wifes bike and i cannot get this one to shift anywhere near as nice as my other two deore xt set-ups with the adapter. i'm using x-9 shifters on all three bikes. i'm wondering if shimano changed something on the new cheaper level components. has anyone else tried the 615 with the adapter, thanks

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I've been thinking about this one. I'm fairly confident Shimano wouldn't be able to change the lever arm geometry whilst maintaining compatibility with existing shifters, so I don;t see any reason it shouldn't work. I've not tried it though. Is the adapter sitting flat against the cable arm? If there are any lugs or anything preventing it from doing so it might screw up the cable-pull...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Anyone got one of these still kicking around and a decent condition 9 speed SRAM X.9 or X.0 shifter that they're not looking for much $ for?

Considering options as I want to swap the Saint brakes off my wifes DH bike this off season, but her shifter is I-Spec B which means the shifter won't work with anything else due to the 98 different I-Spec standards (and people give SRAM shit...). New 9 speed X.9 shifters seem to be non-existent now.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Anyone got one of these still kicking around and a decent condition 9 speed SRAM X.9 or X.0 shifter that they're not looking for much $ for?

Considering options as I want to swap the Saint brakes off my wifes DH bike this off season, but her shifter is I-Spec B which means the shifter won't work with anything else due to the 98 different I-Spec standards (and people give SRAM shit...). New 9 speed X.9 shifters seem to be non-existent now.
I think I have a 9sp short cage AND shifter, let me check tomorrow.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I think I have one of the adapters kicking around somewhere. I'll look tonight, yell at me if I forget.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I think I have a 9sp short cage AND shifter, let me check tomorrow.
I think I've still got a short cage 9-speed SRAM should I ever break my Zee at an inopportune moment. But if you've got a shifter that you'll trade for beer tokens in November that would be great. If I do this swap I want to use a 9 speed SRAM shifter with her existing 10 speed clutched Zee derailleur.
That's what I'm after, but I'll see what Nick has first in his Aladdin's cave, thank you.
I think I have one of the adapters kicking around somewhere. I'll look tonight, yell at me if I forget.
Adapter and bolt would be great if it's just gathering dust.

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I have a few more sitting in my drawer. Can send you one for the cost of postage from Communist Canada, which seems to have gone up to about $7 cad these days.

zztiptop

Chimp
Aug 5, 2021
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but am curious if anyone has more up to date info now.

The original idea was to use SRAM 9sp with Shimano 10sp derailleur and a 9 speed cassette. This has an equation of:
4.0 (shifter) x 1.2 (derailleur) = 4.8 != 4.35 (cassette)

(based on http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-behind-the-magic/science-behind-the-magic-drivetrain-compatibility/)
Which is actually off by a few mm, hence this spacer to attempt to fix the problem.

I am curious if anyone has tried an Shimano 11 speed shifter with a Shimano 10 speed derailleur and 9 speed cassette, which has the much better equation:
3.6 (shifter) x 1.2 (derailleur) = 4.32 ~= 4.35 (cassette)

I'm also confused why people didn't simply use a 10 speed shimano shifter, which is also closer than the SRAM 9 speed:
3.4 (shifter) x 1.2 (derailleur) = 4.08 ~= 4.35 (cassette)

I have a good reason to want to use a 9 speed chain and cassette. Did people choose the 9 speed SRAM shifter because the 11 speed shifter wasn't available at the time, or are there other good reasons?

Last edited:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but am curious if anyone has more up to date info now.

The original idea was to use SRAM 9sp with Shimano 10sp derailleur and a 9 speed cassette. This has an equation of:
4.0 (shifter) x 1.2 (derailleur) = 4.8 != 4.35 (cassette)

(based on http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-behind-the-magic/science-behind-the-magic-drivetrain-compatibility/)
Which is actually off by a few mm, hence this spacer to attempt to fix the problem.

I am curious if anyone has tried an Shimano 11 speed shifter with a Shimano 10 speed derailleur and 9 speed cassette, which has the much better equation:
3.6 (shifter) x 1.2 (derailleur) = 4.32 ~= 4.35 (cassette)

I'm also confused why people didn't simply use a 10 speed shimano shifter, which is also closer than the SRAM 9 speed:
3.4 (shifter) x 1.2 (derailleur) = 4.08 ~= 4.35 (cassette)

I have a good reason to want to use a 9 speed chain and cassette. Did people choose the 9 speed SRAM shifter because the 11 speed shifter wasn't available at the time, or are there other good reasons?
I can't speak for others, but perhaps all the libraries with all of the shifter, mech, and cassette measurements weren't as well published back then?

I'm using a Sram 9spd with 8spd cassette and new 11/12 spd Shimano and it works a treat since the math works out. I'd run whatever combo makes sense math wise assuming you can use a clutch mech and a high end shifter.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I can't speak for others, but perhaps all the libraries with all of the shifter, mech, and cassette measurements weren't as well published back then?

I'm using a Sram 9spd with 8spd cassette and new 11/12 spd Shimano and it works a treat since the math works out. I'd run whatever combo makes sense math wise assuming you can use a clutch mech and a high end shifter.
Could you please elaborate on this? I'm genuinely interested on which componentes did you use to put the transmission together.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I gave up trying to find a decent 9 speed SRAM shifter last year and just put the SRAM 7 speed system on the bike instead.

zztiptop

Chimp
Aug 5, 2021
Ok. I thought it might have been because the Sram 9 speed shifter had the right amount of indexes, whereas 11 speed has too many. Or maybe it had some quirk that it pulled different amounts for different gears.

I have an additional complication as I've reduced my 9 speed cassette to just 7 gears for alignment purposes, but that's another story.

The Sram x5 shifter I have, plus spacer, works alright but not great. But that could be partly due to my cassette reduction hack.

zztiptop

Chimp
Aug 5, 2021
Hmm It could also be that that figures from that page are wrong. This other page gives other numbers: https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bicycles/Maintenance_and_Repair/Gear-changing_Dimensions

Namely a 10s derailleur ratio of 1.15 instead of 1.2 (which makes it 4x1.15=4.6)

And the 11 speed pull of 3.2 instead of 3.6 (which sounds more correct).

Also I guess it's easier to reduce the pull than increase it. Which does make the Sram 9s shifter the best match.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Yeah, I still have mine but it's on my wife's DH bike now, SRAM X.9 shifter, Zee rear with the spacer and a 9spd 11-28 ultegra cassette.