Quantcast

For those who claim racism is dead

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Sadly, racism will never die, not in this country or others. Same with hatred of another's religion, nationality or viewpoints.

We may never all just get along.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My turn.

One time at the bike shop, I was giving flack to a drunk guy who trying to hustle a free flat fix and had very likely stolen the bike he rode up on.

He turned to me and said, "You f---ing chink!"

I was a little surprised in an amused way. I hadn't been called a chink by a stranger since I was a teenager. I certainly wasn't going to be upset by a drunken bum, and several of my larger and violent friends at the shop chased him away.

I was never personally offended or saddened at the state of society. I didn't care what an idiot thought of me or my race. It was beneath me.

Why was Kenny Wiley, the writer of this post, troubled over this incident? That a couple of drunken kids made a stupid crack that happened to be racist? Would he have written about this if they had yelled, "Hey Forrest Gump" or just "Stop running on the sidewalk like an asshole?"

Now here is the tricky part: why is Mr. Wiley so mad about being jokingly accused of running from the cops and stealing something? Is it because he has taken this incident with four drunk kids and extrapolated that our society is racist.

Or is it because an extremely successful black man can be knocked down a peg by with a spontaneous comment about being a thief?

In my own twisted view, it is hilarious that a self-proclaimed Harvard grad student who is almost guaranteed to reach the pinnacles of our society is stopped in his tracks and profoundly upset by drunk teenagers.

Ultimately, we as a society have to move past racial comments, and the first step is to treat them as asinine insults, not some deeply troubling commentary.

FYI, in that situation, I would said, "Why am I running? I'm going to my job. You try working too instead of being an asshole" or if I was out of breath, "Go f--- yourself"

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I’m student body president-elect at Harvard Divinity School. It didn’t matter that I’m the soon-to-be Ministerial Intern at a largely white church less than a mile from where we stood.
60/40 chance he hates gays....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Actually, I believe racism does exist, specifically how teabaggers view the President and police stop-n-frisk programs.

But writing about incidents like this are just distractions.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
60/40 chance he hates gays....
tl;dr?

what i want is for us to stop pretending. I want us to stop pretending that racism is over. If it were, tipsy strangers wouldn’t have heckled me. I want us to stop pretending that it’s not harder to be female than male. That it's not harder to be gay than straight. I want us to stop pretending that we live in an equal society. We don’t. It isn’t one person’s fault, or one group’s fault. Instead of blaming or evading, we can encourage and confront, together. Instead of pretending that all these 'isms' are over, we can say "things are better than they've ever been, and there's so much more to be done." i don't think that's so bad.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
of course racism isn't dead.

b/c they were white ppl yelling at him, he decided to fb the event.

it's not interesting if it were his racial peers saying the same thing.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
hold on, girl -- was this in MASSACHUSETTS?

maybe a local disinterested native american third party representative should arbitrate:

maybe pass the peace pipe around a few times

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
While I firmly believe that racism exists what this guy is going on about is seems a bit overblown.He seems more interested in letting it be known he attends Harvard and therefore shouldn't be subjected to ignorance.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I have some Texas friends. I think he was raised too polite to respond to this kind of thing.

Do you think a guy from Brooklyn would have cried like he did?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
bureau of labor statistics
Among the major worker groups, the unemployment rate for blacks (14.4 percent) edged up over the month, while the rates for adult men (7.8 percent), adult women (7.4 percent), teenagers (23.7 percent), whites (7.4 percent), and Hispanics (11.0 percent) showed little or no change.
in recent memory, obama has been the most economically damaging toward blacks.

but it's not racist.

is it?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You can lead a man to a job, but you can't make him work. Or something like that.

<edit> I think the promise was "job creation" not "job creation for blacks, mostly".

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
obama has been the most economically damaging toward blacks.
Lincoln (R - Illinois) was by far the most damaging.
The black unemployment rate skyrocketed after the Emancipation Proclamation.