Quantcast

For you Ariel Atom leg humpers

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I met Leno once. I was doing temp power at a car show for the production company I worked for. I told him not to park right next to the hotel or I might crush his car forklifting a generator into place.

He turned pale and moved it immediately.

He wasn't driving anything a ghey as the car in that pic though.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
^^^motorcycles do not count, they go too fast and don't cost enough.

That Ariel Atom is pretty much the most badazz car out there. Not only is it fast as all hell, but it's not for pvssies, either. Completely open and exposed like that it's gotta give a lot more of a sensation of speed. Rad.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
All I know is I would like to T-bone one doing around 70mph driving a 73 Cadillac El Dorado. Just to see how far I could launch it....

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
stevew said:
All I know is I would like to T-bone one doing around 70mph driving a 73 Cadillac El Dorado. Just to see how far I could launch it....
219ft!!!!

but since probably the cockpit will deform less than the cockpit of any other convertible, i´d say survival chances are higher in the atom.

but at 70mph, make that the chance of finding you in one piece.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I didn't think the Atom was street legal in the US. Since it's Leno driving it in Kalifornia it's ok? I don't see how one can't like a car like this. In the realm of high performance cars it is "cheap", but the performance is on par with the most expensive. It would be a fun toy.

KTM needs to get off their butts and start importing that Duke 990 to the US. Their RC8/Venom prototype bikes should be butt kickers as well.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
moff_quigley said:
I didn't think the Atom was street legal in the US. Since it's Leno driving it in Kalifornia it's ok? I don't see how one can't like a car like this. In the realm of high performance cars it is "cheap", but the performance is on par with the most expensive. It would be a fun toy.

KTM needs to get off their butts and start importing that Duke 990 to the US. Their RC8/Venom prototype bikes should be butt kickers as well.
From what I read about the Atom it can be made street legal. There is an importer somewhere here in the US, maybe in Oregon that distributes them. There was a great article on www.howstuffworks.com about the Ariel Atom and no surprise here, how it works.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
moff_quigley said:

Anyone see a license plate on that bad boy?

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Does it strange anyone else as strange to see rufty-tufty mountain bikers worrying about how safe a car is?

C'mon people, live a little.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
SkaredShtles said:
I'll take my chances with the bunnies and squirrels. People driving Escalades talking on their mobile phones are what scare me........ :D
You do need to take the view that no one can see you and they're all trying to kill you. Sounds paradoxical but it gives you a fighting chance.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The Atom is street legal. It meets all the requirements for most (if not all states). I still want one, I want one real bad.

As far as saftey goes, I doubt it's any less safe than my '68 bug was. Hell, my old Honda CRX would fly further in a crash!

As for the Duke, that's bad ass, but I think they've taken it too far. I like the Duke II because it's a good mix of motard/street bike. but that's just me.

J

JRB

H8R said:
I met Leno once. I was doing temp power at a car show for the production company I worked for. I told him not to park right next to the hotel or I might crush his car forklifting a generator into place.

He turned pale and moved it immediately.

He wasn't driving anything a ghey as the car in that pic though.
Not as cool as having drinks with Demi and Ashton, but cool none the less. :rolleyes:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
loco said:
Not as cool as having drinks with Demi and Ashton, but cool none the less. :rolleyes:
Threatening someone's car with a forklift is always cool.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The Atom is legal. I talked to the importers at the US MotoGP race at Laguna Seca. So nice.

I also saw a Lotus Elise there that sucked in comparison. I'm a medium height and I could barely get into the frikken thing!

If I ever have the lump sum of cash to get an Atom I'll be all over that.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Bicyclist said:
The Atom is legal. I talked to the importers at the US MotoGP race at Laguna Seca. So nice.

I also saw a Lotus Elise there that sucked in comparison. I'm a medium height and I could barely get into the frikken thing!

If I ever have the lump sum of cash to get an Atom I'll be all over that.
I'm 6'4" and sat (sort of) into a Lotus Elise, I wish I had the picture here to share, it was funny.