Quantcast

For you gun owning monkies....

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I have a question for you guys.

I live in good old California, and have thought about purchasing a hand gun. I know about all the waiting periods, fees, tests and such that they want to charge. I am fine with all of that.

They want you to show them some sort of "proof of residency". This was from the site

"Purchasers of handguns are also required to provide proof of California residency, such as a utility bill, residential lease, property deed, or government-issued identification (other than a drivers license or other DMV-issued identification)."

My problem is I live with my girlfriend and all the bills are in her name. I don't get a bill at all. We never even filled out a rental agreement as her parents own where we are living. My drivers license and passport are about all I have as ID's. A passport isn't a DMV issued ID, so wouldn't one think a passport would pass as the other form of residency?

My only other option is my dad has the same name as I do, and I could use one of his bills to apply for the gun, but I'd hate to get in trouble if they check that deep into it and find out I'm 26........and the other one is 55. I'm sure it's breaking some law doing that. But if they wanted just a utility bill to show that I live there and they don't check beyond that then I guess it could work. Either that or fill out a rental agreement and submit that, even though it'd be bunk for all intensive purposes.

I'm just wondering..........would you guys think a passport would work as showing proof of residency or they want a bill of some sort?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Depends also on what county your in, and what gun shop you go to. If you go somewhere like turners, your going to jump through every hoop the book pesents. But if you find yourself a nice Ma and Pa gun shop, chances are they will be ok with your DL. The gun shop here in town with me has never made me sow more than my license and my BFSC cert. With that said, your passport should suffice as a second ID. Also maybe if you have a credit card in your name that the bill is sent to your home, that would work as well.

Hope that helped

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
If you have never owned a gun before, I'd recommend buying a rifle before even considering a handgun. There is a reason that the age requirement for ownership is 18 for long guns and 21 for handguns. You need to first develop a healthy respect for and rigid secure-handling protocals with a long rifle before moving on to handguns. Why? Basically, due to their length, it's harder to fvck up and shoot yourself or a neighbor with long gun than a short one. To properly learn marksmanship, start off with a regular BB gun, move on to a high-powered air rifle (e.g. Gama), take an NRA-approved safe-handling course and graduate to a .22LR(e.g. Ruger 10-22) and only then should you consider a smaller-caliber handgun if you are confident and safe with the .22LR.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
If you have never owned a gun before, I'd recommend buying a rifle before even considering a handgun. There is a reason that the age requirement for ownership is 18 for long guns and 21 for handguns. You need to first develop a healthy respect for and rigid secure-handling protocals with a long rifle before moving on to handguns. Why? Basically, due to their length, it's harder to fvck up and shoot yourself or a neighbor with long gun than a short one. To properly learn marksmanship, start off with a regular BB gun, move on to a high-powered air rifle (e.g. Gama), take an NRA-approved safe-handling course and graduate to a .22LR(e.g. Ruger 10-22) and only then should you consider a smaller-caliber handgun if you are confident and safe with the .22LR.
Rugers and other 22's are more fun anyways

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Passports DO NOT WORK. I've been through this in Virginia. The passport does not have your legal residence on it, only your place of birth.

I used my DL and a car registration. Your second piece of ID must have your address.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Just for some small background info I've been around guns my entire life. Both rifles and hand guns. We use to go shoot probably once a month at our local shooting range so I'm use to shooting. I'm 26 now and never really had any reason to own a gun. I still don't have a real reason other than at this point in life I have the $$$ and figured it'd be something I'd like to own. I just know that California is stupid strict with their purchasing of guns.

I have items that show I have residency. I have a passport.......but like said above that just states you are from the U.S.A. I do have my auto's registration which shows where I live. I have credit card statements to show that as well even though I do them all paperless online. I'll figure out something when I go down there and ask exactly what I can and can't use for that form of ID. If I have to get a rental agreement or something I'll get one LOL. 5 years later but either way, just so I can show proof that I reside here.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
all i know is that you should get your concealed carry permit from Florida... easy to get and just about every state recognizes it.

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
You guys are just lucky you don't have to put up BS that Canadians have to wade though. Best part about it all is has next to zero effect on criminals. IMO