Quantcast

Force versus Red

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
This is my untested, rather unscientific theory:

The D-dimension* on frames equipped with SRAM Red must be greater than or equal to 11.7mm. Some Red rear derailleurs were manufactured incorrectly, such that the high limit screw would not contact the derailleur. As such, rather than having a solid starting point for the rear derailleur (just to the inside of the 11 or 12t cog), it would be floating. Shifting into lower gears was ok, but dropping down into higher gears was problematic.

I have nothing to base this on other than I've been having issues with a Red-equipped TT bike at the shop, and had a lengthy discussion with a SRAM guy the other day.

* distance between the outer edge of the first cog and the outer edge of the derailleur hanger. can be remedied with the use of a .5mm crank bolt spacer.

Force FDs have found their way onto otherwise-Red equipped SWORKS SL2s due to adjustment issues, and Kuotas have had issues with Red front derailleurs, as well.

homey at SRAM told me that SRAM requires the tightest tolerances from frame builders and manufacturers; Shimano the least; and Campy somewhere in between.

Regardless, my Red shifters are the bomb-diggity.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I have Red shifters with Force rear and Rival front. Still using Rival calipers. I couldn't get a Red rear, so I went with Force. The only thing I really like is the shift paddle. It's nicer to hit in the drops. Beyond that, there is nothing I like more than my Rival. I liked the old trim better even. The adjustment is cool, but not needed for me. Mine are adjusted all the way out. I agree that it's finicky, but Campy seems more so. Shimano would shift a turd if you tried it. Period.

I do really like the shift on my road groups, but don't favor my Sram mtn stuff at all.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I have Red shifters with Force rear and Rival front. Still using Rival calipers. I couldn't get a Red rear, so I went with Force. The only thing I really like is the shift paddle. It's nicer to hit in the drops. Beyond that, there is nothing I like more than my Rival. I liked the old trim better even. The adjustment is cool, but not needed for me. Mine are adjusted all the way out. I agree that it's finicky, but Campy seems more so. Shimano would shift a turd if you tried it. Period.

I do really like the shift on my road groups, but don't favor my Sram mtn stuff at all.
uh oh.... the SRAM police will be along shortly to re-educate you.