Quantcast

Forced upgrade...warning: contains shims

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So I had a mostly great day of riding my DHX equipped Sunday yesterday, but towards the end of the day my shock starting acting terribly...it had been making squishing noises and later there would be no damping then it would engage after half an inch....and slooowly at that. I'm pretty sure this is a clear sign of cavitation. I must have ridden it with the air pressure too low. Earlier in the day I had reset the shock to the specifications in the Sunday page, and it was working great despite the noise. Previously I had been a little disappointed with the DHX's performance but increasing the air pressure and ramping up the bottom out seemed to help.

I have no experience with shock rebuilds, and I have relatively limited access to tools; no vice and whatever tools/wrenches I have available. I've read as much as I can on rebuilding the DHX but I'm not positive that I can bring it back to 100%. The shock was rebuilt by fox before I bought it a month or so ago.

Anyways, my question is, should I buy some shock oil, get all pumped up and try the rebuild myself, or should I use this opportunity to try and grab a clapped out 5th element and send it to Avalanche to have it rebuilt and tuned to my bike weight and style($200) then sell the Fox as is? Or Push the Fox ($200)?

I'm not much of a tinkerer but I'm not completely hamfisted either. I tend to like my shocks "set and forget" rather than maximum adjustability.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Have the basic shock tune by Push but keep in mind that you're talking about a tiny part with obvious long term wear and most likely contact points internally that are probably way outside strict tolerances. So no matter what you do to the thing, unless they're ALL brand new guts, it is a patch on a worn out shell of a shock.

Oh...forgot to mention the word cavitation...fancy way for saying clapped out. :thumb:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Isn't cavitation from air being in the oil? If it's a signed of a hosed shock, I'd like to know, if it's just cause I effed up checking the air pressure and easily curable, that's another story.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
So I had a mostly great day of riding my DHX equipped Sunday yesterday, but towards the end of the day my shock starting acting terribly...it had been making squishing noises and later there would be no damping then it would engage after half an inch....and slooowly at that. I'm pretty sure this is a clear sign of cavitation. I must have ridden it with the air pressure too low. Earlier in the day I had reset the shock to the specifications in the Sunday page, and it was working great despite the noise. Previously I had been a little disappointed with the DHX's performance but increasing the air pressure and ramping up the bottom out seemed to help.

I have no experience with shock rebuilds, and I have relatively limited access to tools; no vice and whatever tools/wrenches I have available. I've read as much as I can on rebuilding the DHX but I'm not positive that I can bring it back to 100%. The shock was rebuilt by fox before I bought it a month or so ago.

Anyways, my question is, should I buy some shock oil, get all pumped up and try the rebuild myself, or should I use this opportunity to try and grab a clapped out 5th element and send it to Avalanche to have it rebuilt and tuned to my bike weight and style($200) then sell the Fox as is? Or Push the Fox ($200)?

I'm not much of a tinkerer but I'm not completely hamfisted either. I tend to like my shocks "set and forget" rather than maximum adjustability.
Honestly, although it's a little pricey, I'd spring for a new RC4. The RC4 has much of the end travel ramp capability of the old 5th element design (the shock that the Sunday was intended to use) and it's very tunable. I've been running the RC4 that came stock with my Revolt on the Sunday and the result has been brilliant. Lots of early and mid travel traction with the bottom out resistance that every shock other than the 5th element lacked.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'll see if I can snag one of those up for a reasonable price, but their newness may be an issue ($$$). You say the Revolt tune works fine on a Sunday? Might make it a lot easier.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA

If you can get shock oil, I could do a quick oil change after work since I have plenty of tools here. I'm pretty sure that you shouldn't have any o-ring damage, but I can replace those pretty easily if necessary.

Figured I would offer since I could turn it around pretty quickly and you could have a proper shock until you determine what you want to do as far as a permanent upgrade.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That would be awesome if you think you can do that for me. I've found instructions but without seeing it done first, I'm not sure i'd do it right. I'd be happy to pay for the shock fluid. I don't think any of my options besides the rebuild will get me out again this weekend.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
That would be awesome if you think you can do that for me. I've found instructions but without seeing it done first, I'm not sure i'd do it right. I'd be happy to pay for the shock fluid. I don't think any of my options besides the rebuild will get me out again this weekend.
That wouldn't be a problem at all. I'll give you a call this evening.