Quantcast

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
What a practical vehicle for the average American. Can't wait for some soccer mom to cut me off in one using the patented "drift into the other lane while chatting on the phone" method.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
so...it still isn't a clown car.

six people in it would be a stretch.
I put six in my f350 crew just the other night, and I have captains up front.

and

my buddy and his wife are not small people.

and the f150 isn't that much smaller inside.

8 for a quick shuttle...sure, if you were real good friends and mostly in shape mountain bikers.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
the Raptor is much bigger than a normal F150
is the whole truck different? I thought it just had fenders and bedsides along with the suspension, didn't know it was a whole different cab and everything....

either way, 8 in the truck for a short trip is feasible.

Personally I like what ford did here, the truck is no bull****, and appeals to the enthusiast, I wish the domestics did more of that, where's my american made affordable option to the WRX? EVO? etc.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
is the whole truck different? I thought it just had fenders and bedsides along with the suspension, didn't know it was a whole different cab and everything....

either way, 8 in the truck for a short trip is feasible.

Personally I like what ford did here, the truck is no bull****, and appeals to the enthusiast, I wish the domestics did more of that, where's my american made affordable option to the WRX? EVO? etc.
I drove one... they feel much bigger than an f-150. Parked next to an f-350 they aren't as high... pretty close, but the wheelbase and width of the body is definitely wider. I was told it's about 7". The truck drives really smooth in all honesty. There's not much noise from the tires etc. and felt closer to a car than a truck. It didn't buck on the bumpy LA freeway like most trucks, just either went over the bumps smooth as hell or gave a bit of a thud like shown in the crap US top gear. The body roll is fun.. feels like a trophy truck. I drove the 6.2L and my buddy who was looking to buy was trying to get the hennessy 475 package right away from the dealer. The price he got for a leftover 2010 was $51k and an extra $5k installed for the Hennessy package which was headers, exhaust, tune, air intake. The truck is awesome but I can't see soccer moms getting them.. or at least I hope they don't. It really is too much truck

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
I will be ordering one soon or may wait until the 2012 is released. The seat AC would be nice in the 2012. So it might be worth waiting for

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I wish ford's website for the truck was a little less "OMG RAPTOR GETTING AIR IN 3D WITH DIRT EVERYWHERE RAD!" and more "click here for specs"

This could be exactly the truck I want... except I have no idea what sort of gas mileage I can expect (small v8, the 6L is pretty obvious what would happen) or how much the truck can tow.

Ah well, it'll probably be a long time before my tundra craps out anyhow.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
they took their 1/2ton frame and made it 7" wider and increased the wheelbase as well.

I will be ordering one soon or may wait until the 2012 is released. The seat AC would be nice in the 2012. So it might be worth waiting for
there really isnt anything new for 2012. they are probably adding LED running lights, but no real info has been released for the 2012 models.
you can get a steal on 2010 and 2011 models right now

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
they took their 1/2ton frame and made it 7" wider and increased the wheelbase as well.

there really isnt anything new for 2012. they are probably adding LED running lights, but no real info has been released for the 2012 models.
you can get a steal on 2010 and 2011 models right now
Front lockers, Cooled front seats and the LED lights. Maybe just Maybe ecoboast. But probably not. Car pooling to Daiablo and Pkill this summer because gas will kill me if I do get one.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Front lockers, Cooled front seats and the LED lights. Maybe just Maybe ecoboast. But probably not. Car pooling to Daiablo and Pkill this summer because gas will kill me if I do get one.
nothing has been finalized yet as the 2011 just made it to market

The new LEDs could appear on 2011.5 “Job 2” Raptors, but they are most likely slated for the 2012 model year.

Other future improvements rumored for Raptor may include an electronic locking front differential (in addition to the current rear locker) for increased capability in low-speed off-road maneuvers. A front e-locker is available for the limited edition Ford Racing Raptor XT pre-runner. There’s also chatter that the 2011 Ford F-Series Super Duty’s heated and cooled seats will find their way inside the Raptor’s cabin, too. The 411-horsepower, 6.2-liter V-8 is expected to remain the sole engine choice.
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/01/spied-ford-f-150-svt-raptor-testing-led-running-lights.html

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I know that but they are says $5 gas so i cant do that but if it stays where it is its doable
they always float that $5/gallon rumor at the beginning of every year. honestly, if you are worried about gas, a 10-14mpg off-road truck probably shouldnt be your first choice :rofl:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
that thing is way gay
This coming from the kid who swapped his engine into a crappier Dodge truck, then lifted it with body lift and put on 30-something inch tires, but claims he did it for the fuel economy? Every time you do something that makes me doubt that you are mentally challenged, you post something like this that reminds me why I should never second guess myself when the topic is you.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
that thing is way gay
Also, please explain why one of the largest automotive manufacturers in the world, providing a model that is in heavy demand by one of their largest markets, is gay?

I don't know if you've been to Southern California lately, but given I grew up there I would assume that my experience there out weighs your own. Southern California is one of Ford's largest markets within the US, most of which has grown since they became a primary sponsor of the Lakers and USC football in the late-90's. When I left for college, the majority of pick-up trucks that had been converted to pre-runners were Toyota's. That held true until the last 4-5 years, when I started to see a notably larger percentage of those vehicles being Ford F-150's.

I don't know if you've ever heard the phrase 'halo vehicle', but often it refers to a car that will for it's entire life cycle be a negative revenue generator, or at best, flat on expenses. They are also examples of how high performance a vehicle the manufacturer can make. Examples of these cars include the Ford GT, Bugatti Veyron GT (the carbon one), etc.

For Ford, this vehicle probably falls into the mildly profitable range of Halo vehicle. They have created a vehicle that will be in high demand, in a large percentage market (SoCal). Even if they are unable to make sell enough to match the supply (or in a perfect world, make enough for match the demand). There are large numbers of clients within that market who can not afford this vehicle, but have been sold on the off-road capabilities of the Ford F-150 based on this truck. Which leads to secondary sales of other Ford truck models.

Secondly, with regards to the type of vehicle being a pre-runner. You have probably had very little experience with desert racing (moto, atv, buggy, or truck) in NorCal. In SoCal, there are deserts on the scale of forested mountains in NorCal. Most outdoor activites in NorCal focus around the forested mountains, in SoCal it's the deserts. This type of vehicle is highly appropriate for the market in which it is primarily targeting. Sure, thousands will be sold across the US, but I'd put big money and give you 10-1 odds that by percentage the majority will be sold in the Southwest (SoCal, Arizona, Nevada, and New Mexico).

Lastly, until you have driven down a desert road at 85mph in a pre-runner prepped truck, you have no idea what those trucks are capable of and what they are designed to do. Will most end up highway primadona's? (sp?) Likely. Will some be used to their full extent? Undoubtedly.

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Just out of curiosity, why does the "prerunner" genre of cars exist, from my limited knowledge of desert racing, a prerunner gives you a look at the course before you get to race it (right?) Why take a vehicle that started out as a normal truck (convert it into a half ass baja race truck) and preview the course, i dont preview my DH tracks on a modified bmx bike? I dont see why redbull wont just take their 750,000 race truck, and preview it on that, its even more realistic, the cost of babying the race truck and filling it with gas has to be less than the 100k swap kit for the tacoma they may buy (or w.e) I like the raptor, i would probably never drive it offroad, but i dont understand why this "prerunner" genre exists, granted, my experience is limited from youtube and speed channel, so i dont know much.

Anybody knowledgeable know what the deal is?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Just out of curiosity, why does the "prerunner" genre of cars exist, from my limited knowledge of desert racing, a prerunner gives you a look at the course before you get to race it (right?) Why take a vehicle that started out as a normal truck (convert it into a half ass baja race truck) and preview the course, i dont preview my DH tracks on a modified bmx bike? I dont see why redbull wont just take their 750,000 race truck, and preview it on that, its even more realistic, the cost of babying the race truck and filling it with gas has to be less than the 100k swap kit for the tacoma they may buy (or w.e) I like the raptor, i would probably never drive it offroad, but i dont understand why this "prerunner" genre exists, granted, my experience is limited from youtube and speed channel, so i dont know much.

Anybody knowledgeable know what the deal is?
Brian can go into more detail, but here are a few reasons.

1: Chase truck - for Baja races, you have a chase vehicle carrying small tools, parts, etc. That truck needs to be able to maintain a reasonably close speed (within 50-60%) as the race truck to keep up.

2: Support team trucks - again for Baja type racing, you need to get your supplies to the predetermined locations along the course. You need a vehicle to get you to those remote locations

3: Most people can't afford multiple trucks. You have a race truck, and your street legal pre-runner. Your buddies who support you need to be able to get out there, hence the pre-runners.

4: Pre-running the course, duh. runing your race truck is expensive and risky, especially if you crash while pre-running.

5: What do you do with your spare parts when you upgrade your bike? You put old parts on the next nicest bike. Most people run the same manufacturer trucks across the board. It's the trickle down effect.

6: Terrain, the terrain in far different that off-roading anywhere outside of the desert. Wide track, fast suspension, big travel, independent suspension. Traditional off-roading is slow speed, wheel clearance for large tires, and f/r solid axles with locking diffs. They are as similar as DH to Trials. Same mentality of getting over hard terrain, but the speeds are far different.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I've seen around 5 of these around Phoenix, Scottsdale.
They look cool for sure, but all 5 were spotless and were most likely going to stay that way.
Too rich for my blood, but I can appreciate the technology.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Right, but we were talking about fitting 8 people in the thing, that has nothing to do with the frame, suspension, drivetrain, etc. My question was in response to that, if the raptor is bigger than an f150 my question remains is it an entirely different cab as well?

If someone was saying it is bigger than an F150 in size, height, width, etc. Yeah, I already got that, I've driven one, and seen plenty of them, but didn't study the cab all that much, I just assumed it was a standard cab from the F150 line.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Right, but we were talking about fitting 8 people in the thing, that has nothing to do with the frame, suspension, drivetrain, etc. My question was in response to that, if the raptor is bigger than an f150 my question remains is it an entirely different cab as well?

If someone was saying it is bigger than an F150 in size, height, width, etc. Yeah, I already got that, I've driven one, and seen plenty of them, but didn't study the cab all that much, I just assumed it was a standard cab from the F150 line.
If you want to shuttle 8 people + bikes off-road, I suggest this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-E-Series-Van-E350-Chateau-2005-Ford-E350-Diesel-Quigley-4x4-Chateau-Van-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e6119e948QQitemZ130478106952QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks#v4-39

Costs about the same too.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
This coming from the kid who swapped his engine into a crappier Dodge truck, then lifted it with body lift and put on 30-something inch tires, but claims he did it for the fuel economy? Every time you do something that makes me doubt that you are mentally challenged, you post something like this that reminds me why I should never second guess myself when the topic is you.
Wow, you are half as smart as I am..... I swapped my engine from a dented 2wd truck into a truck that is the same, just a year newer, not dented and 4wd. I have a leveling kit on it and 35s, for my needs and budget it's the most economical thing.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Wow, you are half as smart as I am..... I swapped my engine from a dented 2wd truck into a truck that is the same, just a year newer, not dented and 4wd. I have a leveling kit on it and 35s, for my needs and budget it's the most economical thing.
When is a diesel with big mud tires economical? i dont drive a prius either, but lets be real here.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Also, please explain why one of the largest automotive manufacturers in the world, providing a model that is in heavy demand by one of their largest markets, is gay?

I don't know if you've been to Southern California lately, but given I grew up there I would assume that my experience there out weighs your own. Southern California is one of Ford's largest markets within the US, most of which has grown since they became a primary sponsor of the Lakers and USC football in the late-90's. When I left for college, the majority of pick-up trucks that had been converted to pre-runners were Toyota's. That held true until the last 4-5 years, when I started to see a notably larger percentage of those vehicles being Ford F-150's.

I don't know if you've ever heard the phrase 'halo vehicle', but often it refers to a car that will for it's entire life cycle be a negative revenue generator, or at best, flat on expenses. They are also examples of how high performance a vehicle the manufacturer can make. Examples of these cars include the Ford GT, Bugatti Veyron GT (the carbon one), etc.

For Ford, this vehicle probably falls into the mildly profitable range of Halo vehicle. They have created a vehicle that will be in high demand, in a large percentage market (SoCal). Even if they are unable to make sell enough to match the supply (or in a perfect world, make enough for match the demand). There are large numbers of clients within that market who can not afford this vehicle, but have been sold on the off-road capabilities of the Ford F-150 based on this truck. Which leads to secondary sales of other Ford truck models.

Secondly, with regards to the type of vehicle being a pre-runner. You have probably had very little experience with desert racing (moto, atv, buggy, or truck) in NorCal. In SoCal, there are deserts on the scale of forested mountains in NorCal. Most outdoor activites in NorCal focus around the forested mountains, in SoCal it's the deserts. This type of vehicle is highly appropriate for the market in which it is primarily targeting. Sure, thousands will be sold across the US, but I'd put big money and give you 10-1 odds that by percentage the majority will be sold in the Southwest (SoCal, Arizona, Nevada, and New Mexico).

Lastly, until you have driven down a desert road at 85mph in a pre-runner prepped truck, you have no idea what those trucks are capable of and what they are designed to do. Will most end up highway primadona's? (sp?) Likely. Will some be used to their full extent? Undoubtedly.
Southern california, more specifically dudes with big lifted trucks down there tend to suck at life, don't forget that. Tapout stickers and tribal tats are about as dumb as 10 inch lifts on an F250 gasser.

I have actually, my neighbor had a ranger with a cop car V8 in it for a while that he let me drive down in socal a couple times. S

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i thought it was but the google is failing me right now

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Cept jah can't pin it 90 mph on the forest service roads brah!!!

Seriously, that's nice, and the Raptor's nice too. Anything besides my 95 2WD Toyota standard cab...
I'd love to have one of the Quigley-convert vans. Saw a ton of them in Fruita, CO.

Again, I think the Raptor is kind of cool, its just sad that most of them probably won't ever see dirt.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
4: Pre-running the course, duh. runing your race truck is expensive and risky, especially if you crash while pre-running.
This isn't 100% accurate. SCORE rules prohibit pre-running the course in the same vehicle you race with.

I believe this was originally to stop race teams from showing up in mexican cities on non-race days, terrorizing the population and giving score a bad name.