Quantcast

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Read above, the motor is the only thing good in that truck, its not like i am making it up, or the only one saying it, his truck might get 250k, maybe ill only get 200k, but at 200k, the rest of my truck is still fine, while his will need shocks, coils, joints, tranny and diff problems, and im sure more. Read above at what zubdub said, dodge isnt exactly known for reliability. I can probable even argue that a modern gas motor will last longer than mooshoo's diesel which ill venture a guess is probably not running a stock tune. I personally would rather know that the only problem with my truck at 200k is the motor, fix it, and my truck is "good as new" rather than say, well, my motor is nice, but the rest of it is about to fall into a hundred pieces. Zubdub for reference.
Those cummins engines REGULARLY run a half million miles, there are people on forums who have over a million. My trans is cool (not that POS auto) Shocks go out it's normal, things break under an 8800lb truck, but if you have a manual (they beef up the drive train quite a bit, from a 3in drive shaft to a 4 in and from a dana 70 to a dana 80) the drive trains are solid as hell. My truck is sitting at right around 200K, just did new brakes, and the interior still looks good as new.

Not a stock "tune" (don't have a computer can't really tune it) I have my truck ungoverned with 60LB valve springs that bring my red-line up to 4K instead of 3K, I also have a different plate in my fuel pump. Far from a beast like some of my friends truck, but I'm making about double stock horse power (thought that's still only around 350) and have no worries of my engine being less durable

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I don't "wheel" my dodge, if I wanted to wheel, I would go buy an old toyota, put it on some chevy springs and grab a marlin Tcase. I used my truck so go over super crappy fire roads and over streams and things of that nature.

being more illiterate than me, that's a laugh
So fireroads and streams... Can you do me a favor and measure your ground clearance for me?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
That and the talk of a forester going "off road" or "wheeling" or whatever it was further than a full sized truck that probably has a good 6" ground clearence advantage at a minimum
The 2010 Forester has 9" of ground clearance. The stock 1998-2003 Dodge Ram has 9.5" and a wheel base almost 2x. Our Forester can get over plenty of rough fire roads and the Mooshu does. He does have one thing that is greatly in his favor though: Torque. We only have ~290, but then again, our car probably weighs half...

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Read above, the motor is the only thing good in that truck, its not like i am making it up, or the only one saying it, his truck might get 250k, maybe ill only get 200k, but at 200k, the rest of my truck is still fine, while his will need shocks, coils, joints, tranny and diff problems, and im sure more. Read above at what zubdub said, dodge isnt exactly known for reliability. I can probable even argue that a modern gas motor will last longer than mooshoo's diesel which ill venture a guess is probably not running a stock tune. I personally would rather know that the only problem with my truck at 200k is the motor, fix it, and my truck is "good as new" rather than say, well, my motor is nice, but the rest of it is about to fall into a hundred pieces. Zubdub for reference.
Again...I don't care about the odds of something failing at XXX,XXX miles.....it comes down to cost of fixing what has failed that matters. Say you have to replace shocks, coils, TREs, bushings, etc. every 100,000 miles.....you're looking at what, $500-600 by the time you're at 200,000miles? Now assume you crack your engine block or spin a bearing once you hit 200,000 miles. Was saving that $500-600 on parts that were easy to replace yourself worth it at that point? I don't think so.

Last edited:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
So fireroads and streams... Can you do me a favor and measure your ground clearance for me?
The truck is at the new place I'm moving too, when I'm actually near the pile I will

The 2010 Forester has 9" of ground clearance. The stock 1998-2003 Dodge Ram has 9.5" and a wheel base almost 2x. Our Forester can get over plenty of rough fire roads and the Mooshu does. He does have one thing that is greatly in his favor though: Torque. We only have ~290, but then again, our car probably weighs half...

Is that the 2WD or the 4WD? Cause I'm pretty sure I have like a foot to my pumkin, as well it has solid axle, that independent stuff doesn't get dick for articulation.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I didn't realize the person talking about the forester was the same one I quoted :rofl:

Anyway, sure, you have decent clearence, but your approace and departure angles probably blow ass, your break over cleareance probably isn't great, and you have awd, not 4wd.

For fire roads, and mild stream crossings, sure, you can go where a 2wd truck can go, but that's about it.

The truck is at the new place I'm moving too, when I'm actually near the pile I will

Is that the 2WD or the 4WD? Cause I'm pretty sure I have like a foot to my pumkin, as well it has solid axle, that independent stuff doesn't get dick for articulation.
12" to your pumpkin? Not on 35's (i think that was your claim).

First, 35's are usually not 35's but let's just say they are.

say your truck has a 10" ring gear (I think you said dana 80 right?) so it is probably closer to 11" or 11.5"

so 17.5" - 5" for the ring gear you're down to 12 inches before you even consider the housing.

The subie's highest point is probably where they measure the 9" since it's IFS and they are assuming you will straddle everything, the dodge is probably also at about 9" at the bottom of the diffs, everything else is higher.

Rocker panels, transmission, t-case, etc. All much more out of the way in the truck, plus it has the advantage of straight axle.

Don't get me wrong, I think the mooshu guy here is a total inbred tool, but the truck should be able to go over much more rugged terrain than a forester any day of the week.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Don't change the subject, sugar britches.
fair enough, i had a chevy, at 57k when i traded it in, it needed a dif, maybe tranny(sonded like ****, but worked fine) brakes, stuff between the tire and the steering wheel (and id guess alot of it) and front shocks. Now that may not cost the same as a motor, but how many times do you want to do that. chevy us "supposedly" alot more reliable than dodge. My thinking is, do you want the huffy with the fox 40 and saint stuff, or the intense with the huffy components. For me, if i planned to keep a high miles car, i would probably take the car with the "bad" motor and know that the only thing it would need is a new (whatever) at 250k, rather than the annual American car fail service. I dont know the numbers off the top of my head, but not everybody can do it themselves, so if i was mooshoo, and i had an old dodge, i would be in the dealership paying for new steering stuff, my tranny that fell out(or maybe clutches if yours is as good as you say) and whatever other problems you have. I also dont think that twice the HP than stock is a good idea, but i dont know diesel that well, so ill let that be your judgement call. i may spend 5000 on a new motor, but im pretty sure an old dodge will take more than that at the given time (and even more so after 250k) Toyota isnt known for reliability for nothing...

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Can I get a picture of a Calvin sticker on a Raptor pissing on a Dodge with a sticker of Calvin pissing on a Forester with sticker of Calvin pissing on moosho who is wearing a t-shirt with a picture of Calvin pissing on Demo 9 who is driving a Toyota wearing a t-shirt with a picture of Cavin actually pissing on him?

I have money and will pay cash..

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

It's AWD, with LSD. And for $100 I can get my ground clearance to 10" with 1" spacers. With 1" spacers I can clear 215/70x16 (with full travel) which should add ~2.5" of clearance, or 12.5". That's plenty enough.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
It's AWD, with LSD. And for $100 I can get my ground clearance to 10" with 1" spacers. With 1" spacers I can clear 215/70x16 (with full travel) which should add ~2.5" of clearance, or 12.5". That's plenty enough.
Dude, Joker. Your suburu will never wheel as good as a stock 4wd pickup. Get over it.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Dude, Joker. Your suburu will never wheel as good as a stock 4wd pickup. Get over it.
For realz. Ground clearance is only 1 of MANY factors that determine a capable off road vehicle. Articulation is a big one, and I'm assuming your short-traveled, independed F&R suspension is lacking big time on that one. Ground clearance, HP, torque and traction mean nothing if you can't keep the rubber on the ground.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Not denying this. It's more about winding up Mooshu. To get him to make more stupid comments.

As for the ground clearance note, 9" is at the wheels. Note the low point being at the wheel.

But back to topic. The Raptor will far outperform Mooshu's truck in every way possible, and is a far more badass truck.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Not denying this. It's more about winding up Mooshu. To get him to make more stupid comments.

As for the ground clearance note, 9" is at the wheels. Note the low point being at the wheel.

But back to topic. The Raptor will far outperform Mooshu's truck in every way possible, and is a far more badass truck.
1. By winding up mooshu bragging about your forester you're well....yeah....
2. sure 9" ground cleareance next to the wheel thats great, mooshu has one 9" point that hangs down, and everything else is higher, your car is probably about 9" all the way across the board.
3. japanese sports cars.com = subaru forester lolz (yes I know the forester is a pretty quick and fairly nimble car, but sports car? lolz)
4. The raptor will far outperform any stock truck in its intended category (factory pre-runner)

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Uh oh, here we go..He'z got a racing Forester AND a monster Forester! The only problem with owning one is you end up in the shower like in the Crying Game...but you just can't wash it off.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
I also dont think that twice the HP than stock is a good idea, but i dont know diesel that well, so ill let that be your judgement call.
not to go too far off-topic; but with very few free/super cheap mods, the 12V cummins motor that is in the 2nd gen dodge rams easily doubles hp and tq ratings. montashu mentioned a couple (fuel plate, governor springs, valve springs, afc mods) and numbers around 350/650 are very common (double stock numbers). and if you have a manual transmission with an upgraded clutch, the truck can handle it. granted everything will wear out sooner, but contrary to popular belief, its really only the body on these trucks that is horrible. the standard gear is pretty tough. Now... thats all relative because the life of parts are directly related to how its driven. if you are constantly laying a WOT engine pushing 40lbs of boost (stock turbo) onto those "tough" components, its not going to last long at all, but for a daily driver it can handle it.

now, back on topic... since this truck is being marketed as a "pre-runner" type vehicle, are any race teams (at any level of competition) actually using it for that?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
now, back on topic... since this truck is being marketed as a "pre-runner" type vehicle, are any race teams (at any level of competition) actually using it for that?
the standard Raptor is not really marketed as a pre-runner.
some teams are using the Raptor R or the $100k Raptor XT for races. Ford entered the semi-stock Raptor in Class 8 in the Baja races

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
While I like the idea and the powarrrr of the Raptor I don't think I would like the payments or MPGs. If I get my new job and need to get a truck I'm gonna get a used Tacoma and build something a little more utilitarian. This Truck is pretty damn sweet, would be great for camping at races.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Lots of pickups have pretty ****ty approach and departure angles these days, too, not to mention all the under-door flimflam that owners add since they can't step into the damn things in the first place.

While out on the "high clearance 4x4 only" roads in Capitol Reef Natl Monument back in 2003 with my old Pathfinder I saw exactly one other vehicle on a 60 mile loop: a stock Forester. They probably scraped their bumper going through some gullies but they were out there.

"South Desert Overlook", Capitol Reef National Monument:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
While out on the "high clearance 4x4 only" roads in Capitol Reef Natl Monument back in 2003 with my old Pathfinder I saw exactly one other vehicle on a 60 mile loop: a stock Forester. They probably scraped their bumper going through some gullies but they were out there.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Are we talking roads or trails here?:rolleyes:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Montashu's Dodge isn't getting near any rocks that size. Hell, one has to go significantly out of one's way to encounter terrain like that, and then there's always a rock a foot bigger than can be surmounted with one's current setup.

"High clearance 4x4 only" is a posted sign at many National Park/National Monument sites. I didn't make up the term. Here's an example of it in use: http://www.nps.gov/juba/planyourvisit/maricopacounty.htm

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Montashu's Dodge isn't getting near any rocks that size. Hell, one has to go significantly out of one's way to encounter terrain like that, and then there's always a rock a foot bigger than can be surmounted with one's current setup.

"High clearance 4x4 only" is a posted sign at many National Park/National Monument sites. I didn't make up the term. Here's an example of it in use: http://www.nps.gov/juba/planyourvisit/maricopacounty.htm
Well no offense, but that's a joke, and wouldn't use that as a means of qualifying what is a capable off-road vehicle and what isn't.

Here's a pretty popular and typical Jeep trail here in western Mass .....good luck getting a Forester up this.

Last edited: