Quantcast

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
On the topic of people not using their truck/SUV/etc off road. Last summer I was heading to Aspen over Hagerman Pass here in Colorado. The only thing on the trail were 2 Wranglers in front of me and a jacked up Land Cruiser behind me. Its not super gnarly, but its a 4x4 trail.

2/3 of the way up the pass we saw a Toyota Corolla. How it got there I have no freaking clue. Apparently they were stuck before a big rock garden (that I went through in 4x4 low) and couldn't go back because it was too steep (4x4 but not low for me). There were mild rock gardens, creek crossings and snow drifts that they went through to get to that point that I was shocked the car got that far.
We used to do that when I was growing up. We'd drive as far into the mountains as we could, then set up camp. Usually would spend a week+ doing hikes and such with the car as the home base. and we did it in one of these:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
On the topic of people not using their truck/SUV/etc off road. Last summer I was heading to Aspen over Hagerman Pass here in Colorado. The only thing on the trail were 2 Wranglers in front of me and a jacked up Land Cruiser behind me. Its not super gnarly, but its a 4x4 trail.

2/3 of the way up the pass we saw a Toyota Corolla. How it got there I have no freaking clue. Apparently they were stuck before a big rock garden (that I went through in 4x4 low) and couldn't go back because it was too steep (4x4 but not low for me). There were mild rock gardens, creek crossings and snow drifts that they went through to get to that point that I was shocked the car got that far.
My cousin got one of these for free from a co-worker when I was in high school.

Only problem was a blown head gasket, took us a night to fix. That thing survived through 3 mexico trips down to El Gulfo. Every trip we'd destroy something really impressive on it (ripped off oil pan, sheared off strut, finally lost both front wheels). And each time we'd drag it back to a friend's place down there with someone else's truck, go home and bring the parts and tools we needed down the next trip. We got some funny looks for the places we managed to wedge or jam or just get to with a lot of throttle...

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
It won't if you can't keep the wheels on the ground putting down the power.

Doesn't matter how much power you have through a gnarly whoops section if you keep loosing traction.
That I will give you, but I'm not racing through the desert, so I could care less

I like that, a lot. :thumb:

ever heard the term power to weight ratio?

Diesels have their place, desert racing isn't really their place.

Most desert trucks spin high RPM, and need to be lightweight. Diesels don't spin fast, and they aren't light, the gas motor is still a better platform.

Going fast in the desert is not about power, its about suspension, power never hurts, but suspension is key.

Making a light truck handle well in the desert is easier than making a heavy truck handle well.
You can get diesels to spin up, with valve springs and sleeves you can get a cummins engine to redline at like 5200, turns the thing into a 100K motor, but hell, how long will a 600hp V8 last.....

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
That I will give you, but I'm not racing through the desert, so I could care less

You can get diesels to spin up, with valve springs and sleeves you can get a cummins engine to redline at like 5200, turns the thing into a 100K motor, but hell, how long will a 600hp V8 last.....
ok, this is my last attempt to reason with you.

I have a diesel, I love it, I have offroaded a million different vehicles, and have friends who have buggies that compete at KOH (I was up til 1am helping a friend finish his buggy for this years KOH), my brother and another friend pit for a baja 1000 team and have also for many of their shorter races, I have friends who have rock crawling buggies I have driven and spotted in competitions, I have had many jeep wranglers that were dedicated rock rigs, I have had full size exploration type rigs, I have had a toyota mini truck, friends with geo's, sammys, toyota landcruisers etc. my brother races a jeep cherokee in the TREC series, my friend built a VW bug to race in TREC and also races his polaris RZR in TREC....I give up.

My e-penis is huge when it comes to offroading.

Diesels are sweet.

Your love affair with your 12v cummins is off the charts retarded. Just stop talking.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
ok, this is my last attempt to reason with you.

I have a diesel, I love it, I have offroaded a million different vehicles, and have friends who have buggies that compete at KOH (I was up til 1am helping a friend finish his buggy for this years KOH), my brother and another friend pit for a baja 1000 team and have also for many of their shorter races, I have friends who have rock crawling buggies I have driven and spotted in competitions, I have had many jeep wranglers that were dedicated rock rigs, I have had full size exploration type rigs, I have had a toyota mini truck, friends with geo's, sammys, toyota landcruisers etc. my brother races a jeep cherokee in the TREC series, my friend built a VW bug to race in TREC and also races his polaris RZR in TREC....I give up.

My e-penis is huge when it comes to offroading.

Diesels are sweet.

Your love affair with your 12v cummins is off the charts retarded. Just stop talking.
And this is the last time I will say it, I'm not trying to crawl, or baja my ****. I never have and I never will, I guess you missed that point. I need to get me and ALL MY **** to the woods, and they don't fit in a small truck/ 4runner. It's as you say a full size exploration truck.

I know something about crawling, and as I've stated earlier, I would grab a 22RE toy and do a SAS on it (I don't know that much about crawling but I've done a couple SAS's with some friends)

I'm not saying that ford is gay cause it's a gasser, I'm saying it's gay cause I think fords are junk. (and all American cars for that matter, I drive a damn dodge, I know first hand how crappy the quality is)

Instead of reading other people telling me I'm a retard for trying to "crawl" or "baja" my truck, read MY posts and look at the fact that I'M NOT TRYING TO DO THAT!!!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
lol, great article on Autoblog....
After three consecutive wins in the famously brutal Dakar Rally, Volkswagen is no stranger to cresting dunes and speeding across desert terrain. And now the German automaker has rolled in to Qatar with a pair of very special Touaregs.

Most enticing of the two is the Race Touareg 3 Qatar. Envisioned as a street-legal version of the rally raider that recently locked out the podium at Dakar, the Race Touareg 3 Qatar looks every bit the beast it's based on, with a few nods towards usability. It packs the same 300-horsepower 2.5-liter TDI, with the 16-inch wheels of the rally machine swapped out for gold-colored BBS wheels complimented by the "Race Touareg" wording in gold across the "Magic Morning" white flank.....
The gold-trimmed SUV is bound to be a hit with the Persian Gulf crowd, but halfway around the world we're hoping the Race Touareg 3 Qatar makes its way from the show floor to the showroom and onto our streets as a compelling import alternative to the Ford Raptor

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
And this is the last time I will say it, I'm not trying to crawl, or baja my ****. I never have and I never will, I guess you missed that point. I need to get me and ALL MY **** to the woods, and they don't fit in a small truck/ 4runner. It's as you say a full size exploration truck.

I know something about crawling, and as I've stated earlier, I would grab a 22RE toy and do a SAS on it (I don't know that much about crawling but I've done a couple SAS's with some friends)

I'm not saying that ford is gay cause it's a gasser, I'm saying it's gay cause I think fords are junk. (and all American cars for that matter, I drive a damn dodge, I know first hand how crappy the quality is)

Instead of reading other people telling me I'm a retard for trying to "crawl" or "baja" my truck, read MY posts and look at the fact that I'M NOT TRYING TO DO THAT!!!
oh for christs sake

BTW, I measured last night and I've got 12.5 inches to the pumpkin, and the articulation of a solid axle
pics....

How does a 35" tire give you 12" of ground clearance on a dana 80?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
oh for christs sake

pics....

For realz. A quick search on the interwebtoobz shows that a D60 w/ 35's @ 25psi gives 11.5" clearance.....a D80 has to be a good 2" or so less than that I would say. And I'm pretty sure you can't grind down a D80 like you can with a D60.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
lol. the back is the only thing i dont like, but id deal with it if i bought one. the interior is sweet too.
what dont you like about it?
Ass end. And there is something I don't like about the interior...

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
That's nothing! I made it from Liberia to Monteverde when I rented a Corolla in Costa Rica.:busted:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
For realz. A quick search on the interwebtoobz shows that a D60 w/ 35's @ 25psi gives 11.5" clearance.....a D80 has to be a good 2" or so less than that I would say. And I'm pretty sure you can't grind down a D80 like you can with a D60.
You can grind anything down. But I agree, there is no way he has 12" ground clearence.

I was trying to find a thread of my buddies 14 bolt shave he did on 39's to get his numbers, but he never did that actual measurement, just pointed out he gained 2".

dude's a goof

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Ass end. And there is something I don't like about the interior...

Agreed. I like the front of it and the profile show. The rear looks odd. I like the one interior shot they have though. Part of the appeal of having a truck is to move things....although a full on desert truck usually doesn't have much of -or any- part of a useful bed. I guess that's one of the other things I like about the Raptorz.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Agreed. I like the front of it and the profile show. The rear looks odd. I like the one interior shot they have though. Part of the appeal of having a truck is to move things....although a full on desert truck usually doesn't have much of -or any- part of a useful bed. I guess that's one of the other things I like about the Raptorz.
Thats actually a point i never thought of, if you wanted a desert racing truck (for the desert, or just for a smooth ride in town) you could (until now) never get a functional one. I use my bed 5/7 days of the week, so i could never drive the redbull rig, but a raptor is a functional truck.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Thats actually a point i never thought of, if you wanted a desert racing truck (for the desert, or just for a smooth ride in town) you could (until now) never get a functional one. I use my bed 5/7 days of the week, so i could never drive the redbull rig, but a raptor is a functional truck.
The Raptor is appealing just for that reason. You can still drive it around the street with relatively good manners and it can function as a grocery getter, but you could also drive it damn near anywhere. Obviously, a rig dedicated to your sport (rockcrawling, desert, etc) is going to be better at that specific task. I bought a truck instead of an SUV just because I like having a bed. I would just like it get a little bit better than 10-12mpg. Makes it hard to swallow for road trips....but in all fairness, it's a 6.2L V8. Most people buying that truck wouldn't be too worried about gas prices. In all honesty it wouldn't be that big of a deal for me, since my work commute is 5 miles.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
oh for christs sake

pics....

My buddy actually measured it, he prolly ****ed it up being that he knows nothing about cars, I still havnt had the chance to get to my new place and measure it. School is kicking my ass right now....

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
My buddy actually measured it, he prolly ****ed it up being that he knows nothing about cars, I still havnt had the chance to get to my new place and measure it. School is kicking my ass right now....
the math just doesn't add up.

I'll measure my 350 when I get home, just to shake my e-penis around a little more when I get home