Quantcast

Fore-aft play in Truvativ Hussefelt cranks

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I have a pair of Truvativ Hussefelt cranks. They have served me well over the years. Today I noticed that when I backpedal, there's a bit of fore-aft play ] - as though the spline/notch in the cranks have widened with use. The cranks are tight and I can't tighten them any further. I guess I don't notice it because pressure is always on the pedals and I usually ride with one foot forward all the time. When I backpedal this pressure is removed and the play surfaces.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
i would replace them man, Hussefelts that are a few years old under heavy use are usually past their prime and ready to be swapped out for a fresh set

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Yes. If the arms are tight, then the BB spline is done. Time for a new one - unless the interface on the arms is also worn, then its time for Saints.
So is it the arms or the bb... or both?

Too bad really because there's nothing wrong with the cranks & bb otherwise.

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
It's the crank arm BB spindle interface. A really common problem for ISIS and howitzer interfaces. Get Saints.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
It's the crank arm BB spindle interface. A really common problem for ISIS and howitzer interfaces. Get Saints.
Gotcha. That's too bad... sounds like a poor design because these are DH cranks after all.

Anyway, I will look into replacing them. Saints are $300?! Damn that's steep. Guess I'll be riding these a good bit longer.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
its a common problem with the ISIS splined interface used on the Howizter cranksets, and was also seen on Race Face X-Type cranksets

basically its a friction-fit interface relying on tight tolerances and a crankarm bolt for retention

after some use, or repeated removal and refit, this interface becomes "flogged out" - the crank axle is a very hard cromoly steel, whilst the crank arms are considerably softer aluminium alloy - resulting in slack tolerances in the interface and constant movement and loosening, despite the crankarm bolt being tightened to high torque

this is often experience even on the higher end Holzfeller Howizter setups (I had this issue)

since using Shimano HT2 cranksets (Saint and SLX) which have a dual-pinch clamp to allow "take up" of any "flog out" that could develop with improper fitting or misuse, I have never experienced this issue again

when you look at Shimano's HT2 interface, its basically an A-Headset stem / steerer flipped on its side and with splines added = very smart ;)

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Thanks for the info all.

@Sandwich, there weren't too many dh crank options 7 years ago.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Profiles, dude.

If you need something tough and cheap it's still a good option. They're not that light, but you can find used sets for around $50. I'd run saints if I could get them for that. I love the one set of hone cranks I have, but the cost is prohibitive.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
You might want to find a used set of the old style Saints as well. I have been hammering on mine since early 2006 with no issues at all (aside from the fact that I had to replace the pinch bolts on the non-drive side arm after the heads stripped out due to a bad hex wrench. Replacements cost me $.27 each or something like that).

When I got a new bike this year, Saints were a no brainer. The new ones are really nice, even though the old ones are now on my FR bike and going perfectly strong. If Saints are too $$$, go for SLX or tack down some Hones. They are all good.