Quantcast

Forget Fort William - UK DH just evolved (HD vid enclosed)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Last weekend was the 2nd NPS round, on a brand new track.

UK riders are a whinging bunch, and have long complained that we've not had any new courses on the national circuit in recent years. Also, the current courses haven't changed enough to keep up with the progression of the sport. And they're right. Somehow we produce a lot of the best riders in the world, but most of our race courses are - dare I say it - a little tame.

Certainly not all of them - Dunkeld, Fort William, Rheola, etc - but decent hard tracks are definitely in the minority.

Anyway, Steve Parr & Si Paton stepped up to the mark with a brand new venue. Discovered initially by Matt Simmonds (I think) there was a lot of hype surrounding it, plenty of people claiming it as steep as Champery. Some said it was foolhardy - if it rained the event would have to be cancelled, such was its alleged steepness!

Well I have to admit the organisers DID get lucky with the weather, but tbh the course cut up so much and got so loose that I don't think rain would have been much worse. As the weekend went on my runs became more and more about survival, trying to go into sections as slow as possible so as not to have hit mach 10 at the bottom of that next steep loose chute!

I'll happily admit I wasn't man enough for this race. I think I would have really loved it if just riding it for fun, but I never quite got my head around racing on it. I think I had 3 crashes in my race run, and it wouldn't have been a competitive time even if I hadn't! That said, I loved every minute of it, and can't wait to ride/race there again!

Anyway, this vid shows it much better than I can ever describe it. And remember, things are always a lot steeper in real life than they look in vids! :shocked:

http://video.mpora.com/watch/YaNanBemW/hd/

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Pause it and let it buffer if need be. SD = fail, HD ftw (and other geekisms :D)

Jase76

Monkey
Aug 10, 2007
Australia
That track looked great, and the filming was good too.

I wouldn't blame them for canceling if it rained, I wouldn't like to race it in the wet.

Looked tailor made for Brendan, no wonder he won it.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
That place looks fecking amazing, and I thought that Rothbury race was steep on the bottom section! It looks on another level!! Cool video. Really hope they can sort that place out and make it a non race venue, actually that goes for both Rothbury and Llangollen.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
youre right, normally video flattens the track out but it was pretty clear how steep parts of that were! ridiculous!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Heard good things about Rothbury (that's Kidland yeah?) - aiming to do the race there later in the year!

Weren't many of the top guys there - most resting up for Fort William this weekend. Would have been interesting to see if Brendan could have stuck it to Gee if he'd been there!

Last edited:

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Yeah sorry Kidland, I just got used to calling it the "Rothbury area track". It was a nice chilled out race, uplift is pretty short with a push either end but nowt compared to Inners. The hill definitely has potential! Really looking forward to it myself.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
now thats a mans course, now ive never riden anything that steep before but i have riden steep stuff and i can say its very hard to take a "warm up" run on stuff like that. you have to have the right mind set before you even drop in.

-seb it must have felt good to race that course, even tho you crashed 3 times. its always such a rush when you get done riding some gnarly ass courses/trails.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
God I'd love to race something like that. Any race that could be done competitively chainless is a real DH race. 100% bike handling and perfect form would rule all.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
holy **** - the guy @ 1:06! So sketchy... and then nose wheelies around the last turn?!

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
oh that's so wicked. steep tech is where it's at.

Peter Williams at 2:05 looks very relaxed and smooth, very Sam Hill-ish.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
course looked awesome. would love to ride something like that again. Growing up, we had an XC trail that were steep like that, but w/o the turns... so steep that brakes did little to slow you down, so you just had to do a controlled slide much of the way down.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Not spotted myself in any of the vids - I was very boring. Didn't ride very fast, didn't have any spectacular crashes, tut! :)

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
1:06 guy is "Pistol" Pete Williams. He was on fire whenever I saw him, but crashed in both seeding and race runs.
looked faster than anyone through that section... riding a bit more conservatively would probably have put him on the podium.

uncle-mofo

Chimp
Jun 27, 2008
Waterford, Ireland
Crazy vid. Looks like most of you guys coped well with the conditions even with an absence of that sort of track in the UK. UK doesn't look as if they will stop producing WC riders any time soon.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Just watched this again - quality! We have two races at this venue this year, one or both of them on a new track, can't wait! :)

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Its certainly sorts out the boys and the men that track.
Kinda probaly a longer Aberfeldy. That course was pretty similar too..