Quantcast

Forget Rolhoff, Nexus, Sram or Sturmey-Archer

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
JUNK

that hub is complete junk. look at the website. complete marketing scam. waiting for the 4am infomercial...not

the rolhoff is 3.4lbs. and that was wayyy to heavy for my back wheel.

is that a 1999 M1 frame?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
yup. norco. and a sweet one at that! fully accessorized & color coordinated! dapper!

plus inspiring photo quotes:

"The Freeride hub gobbles up wet and slippery root obstacles on cross-country trails."

"Slippery bridges on cross-country trails don't stand a chance against the freeridehub."

"DH Dave drops like a sack of wet sand at Mosquito Creek."

formidable!

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Zark said:
4.7 pound, 7 gear hub? I think I'll pass.
Read deeper....acoording to the website it's a 4.7 pound, infinite ratio hub that covers the range that a current 24 or 27 speed drive train does.

Infinite ratio .......... :cool:

Still 4.7 pounds ..... :eek:

400 bucks for a 150mm adaptor on top of the base price :eek: :eek:

Durability :think: :think:

I think with the design shown friction has got to be an issue also.

So who is gonna try one first??????

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
why can't they just concentrate on making these things affordable for mere mortals first?

edit: Avalanche was able to do it, what's stopping these guys?

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Thrillkil said:
why can't they just concentrate on making these things affordable for mere mortals first?
No Kidding... great business plan: Make parts so unreasonably priced that you'll never see large sales numbers.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Are these guys for real... check out their "other products". Are those Biopace ripoffs?!?!

And I love this statement from the 'contact us' page:
freeridehubs.com said:
Sorry, but as the Canadian Distributors of Rohloff Speedhubs and other Rohloff products we will not be allowing any more Rohloff products to enter the country due to the serious cases of fraud they have committed.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Do these hubs even exist?
All I can see is a whole lot of yellow Norco, and more badmouthing of Rohloff than information about their own product.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
i would take the rohloff over those. its cheaper and is reputable. either way internally geared hubs seem to be expensive, but thats just initial cost. after replacing lots of deraileurs and cassettes i think the speedhub would be cheaper.

dhpimp

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
MILFS BEDROOM
evilbob said:
Infinite ratio .......... :cool:
The website says Infinite Ratio - but then on the right hand side with all the info it says it has a gear ratio of 305% ... I know the Nexus hub has 318% gear ratio, and costs about 1/10th, and the SRAM 9spd will have more than that.

Crap crap crap...

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
dhpimp said:
The website says Infinite Ratio - but then on the right hand side with all the info it says it has a gear ratio of 305% ... I know the Nexus hub has 318% gear ratio, and costs about 1/10th, and the SRAM 9spd will have more than that.

Crap crap crap...
they mean it has infinit ratio within 305%, ie. stepless, no indexing....they didnt claim to break the laws of physics.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I like how the freeridehubs website made little mention of the actual product. They just show pretty yellow-filled pictures of some guy on a bike and say how it's awesome. What does it do? How is it better? Waste of time.

I also liked how they had half the page devoted to defaming rohloff. Get a life guys.

The idea is good, the execution is poor. Kind of like rohloff. How about a lighter, simpler 8 speed that I can afford?

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
zedro said:
the nupace site lists at 995$, not far from the Rohloff.

This thread serves as yet another example of how everyone turns into complete ninnies when they come across a new product :rolleyes:
agreed!
somethimes i wonder why i even bother with ridemonkey.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Changleen said:
What a joke.
you guys are the joke. It's true the marketing sucks, but other than that none of you know anything about it. It sounds like it was made by an inventor/engineer who doesnt know anything about bike culture (and all the snobs within it), but that doesnt necessarily mean this thing is a turd. I'd like to know more about it instead of acting like a brat... :rolleyes:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think it has the potential to be awesome...a cvt for bikes? the problem is that it weighs so much and costs so much. On top of that, the rohloff seems to be everything that people want it to do, but weighs and costs too much.

So what, honestly, are these guys bringing to the table? The technology is neat, but it doesn't fix any of the complaints about the rohloff.