Quantcast

Forgive me Socal monkies for I have sinned

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
yup, road a road bike today. First time ever. Road it to work (encinitas to La Jolla cove, 20 miles) and back. Kinda cool, kinda scary. It took me an hour each way, not bad cause it takes that long to drive it, freakin traffic :mumble:

it's a Trek 5000, full carbon rocket ship. Tentatively trading an unused giant warp for it.

Anyway there's a lot to be said for being fully pinned out on a 52tooth chain ring and a 12 tooth in the back on 25mm wide tires. That sh*t is no joke. The littlest bump feels like your going to die.

Anyway the best is that I stayed with a general group of cars from Scripps pier all the way to Encinitas.

So do any of you guys ride to work? I'll be moving offices to sorrento valley and plan to trade off between riding the train and the road bike. It'd be cool to find some others on that route.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
ohhh, you mean smelly at work? Didn't really think about it. Plus I work for a company full of triathlon runners and stuff, so it's kinda normal.

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
ncrider said:
yup, road a road bike today. First time ever. Road it to work (encinitas to La Jolla cove, 20 miles) and back. Kinda cool, kinda scary. It took me an hour each way, not bad cause it takes that long to drive it, freakin traffic :mumble:
That's a great ride, huh? (Both the route and the bike.) I used to live in San Diego, and that ride along the coast is great. So many good aspects to it, like the Torrey Pines grade, surf check at Cardiff Reef, taking in the view at Swami's. How do you like the drop from up by UCSD down the hill past Scripps institute to La Jolla Shores?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I'm trying to get motivated to start riding to work, from Alpine to Kearny Mesa, getting to work wouldn't be too bad, it's getting back home that is 30 miles of uphill. :( Once the rains stops and the mornings get just a touch warmer, I'm going to start driving into santee and riding the rest of the way, once I get into a little better shape I might try doing the whole trip on bike once or twice a week. We have a shower in the restroom so smelling like poo shouldn't be a problem, anybody else commute that route? I've got an old Diamond Back Sorrento I plan on riding, it's basically got road geometry and wide tires that are mostly bald and flat bars, I may or may not put the bar ends back on though.

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
I don't know east county well, but that doesn't sound like a very fun round trip, especially uphill in the afternoon after a day at work.

Santee to Kearny Mesa? If you did that a couple days a week, that'd be a pretty good training program. How would you do it? Not, I assume via Mission Gorge Road? Maybe through Mission Trails Park, or does 52 have bike lanes over the mountains?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
HarryCallahan said:
I don't know east county well, but that doesn't sound like a very fun round trip, especially uphill in the afternoon after a day at work.

Santee to Kearny Mesa? If you did that a couple days a week, that'd be a pretty good training program. How would you do it? Not, I assume via Mission Gorge Road? Maybe through Mission Trails Park, or does 52 have bike lanes over the mountains?

I work off of Aero Dr, so Mission Gorge Rd wouldn't be entirely out of the question, it would just mean I'd have to take Friars rd to qualcomm stadium then head north on whatever road that is that ends at qualcomm then wind around some apartment complexes to get to kearny mesa. The 52 does have bike lanes from mast blvd to santo rd, which is probabally the way I'd ride so that I could wave as I pass all the commuters sitting in gridlock. An alternate route would be through mission trails park, but I'm not familiar with the trails myself, and from what I've heared it is pretty much a series of long steep uphills followed by a short gradual downhills followed by another long steep up hill again. I have a feeling I'd bonk every morning on the way to work if I were to get a late start like I usually do and trying to make up time on the road. I think the one way trip via the 52 is in the neighborhood of 15 miles, taking mission gorge rd would add at least another 5 miles.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
That's great. I just traded out my old Raleigh R700 frame for a Santa Cruz Roadster. Sweet mother of sloped top tubes, the thing handles great. Don't be ashamed, embrace the road.