Quantcast

Forgot about this...

Apr 3, 2005
12th smartest state
While i was in my garage just a few minutes ago i found the aftermath of my first race. It was a 12 mile race (2005 Poor Farm Spring Cup) and since it was my first race i didnt know what to expect. i knew i wouldnt get the best time and i didnt...i finished last in my division. all i care is that i completed it cus that was an accomplishment in itself. halfway thro the last lap i noticed that my rear tire assembly was making a really wierd sound and it was really hard to pedal. after i finished i showed it to another monkey (mindlesfreak), a good friend of mine also doing the race, looked at it and said that i need to take a look at my rear axle. turns out that was exactly the problem.

here is a pic of what it looked like.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Haha nice. I did the same thing to my Bighit. I was fiddling with my rear hub and took the skewer out, and the end part of the axle fell off. I stared at it for a long time wondering if it was supposed to do that before taking apart the whole thing and realizing that it had snapped.

Putting a new one in is a lot of fun too.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Ha, yeah I had the same problem as well, sort of. My axle bent just a little bit on the stock front hub of my Specialized P.1, and as I continued to ride, unknownly bent, the entire axle unknowingly broke in half inside the hub. I just simply replaced it with a solid axle, since it was an open-bearing hub, it was very quick and easy. Now I run bolt-ons on all of my bikes so that problem doesn't re-occur. What kind of bike were you using when it broke?

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
This seems to be becoming more common. I've got a bud that's snapped a couple qr axles like nothing in the past months. I'm thinking skewers/hollow axles just don't hold up to a whole lot of FR/DH abuse. I started running 20mm/solid rear axles a few years ago and I've never had a problem. Something about those hollow axles just isn't too confidence inspiring...

SD_TMTB

Chimp
Jun 26, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I have broken a few qr axels, and I pretty baddy bent/snapped the rear bolt-on axel on my P2, another hub overhaul at the same time as the axel raplacement........
all have been installed properly, but Im not sure why this keeps happening it seems like the axels would be stronger.