Quantcast

Forgot how much fun a DH bike was

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
yea i'm on the fence. part of it is that i need to force myself to pull the trigger either way at this point. my bike is 26" of unrideable, so not many people wanna buy that kind of death trap these days. as such the values of 26" dh bikes are basically having the bottom fall out on them.
I feel your pain. Not that I want to sell my trail bike, but if I did, it would be next to worthless now I think. I think I sold my DH bike just in time (at the beginning of the 2015 season) as 650b hadn't taken hold of the DH market by then...

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
yea i'm on the fence. part of it is that i need to force myself to pull the trigger either way at this point. my bike is 26" of unrideable, so not many people wanna buy that kind of death trap these days. as such the values of 26" dh bikes are basically having the bottom fall out on them.
Now see this strikes me as contrary to the @SuboptimusPrime model in which fat dad actually acquires *moar* shit hot bikes & accoutrements, even as his brood increases and his saddle time drops precipitously. Although in this particular example, there is also a pronounced upward trend in overall anger and general grumpiness. My understanding is that many of these bike related acquisitions are made later in the evening after everyone else has long fallen into peaceful slumber and after consuming several mixed libations on one's screened-in back porch (usually during a driving rain storm). Apparently, if this acquisition system in conducted properly, you don't even remember ordering said bling, which makes it even more enjoyable to arrive home and see various "surprise" courier packages waiting at your door. In fact, it almost seems like Jeebus himself is sending you the exact fancy gear you want as reward for being an ever-patient father and husband (and not murdering room temperature IQ mouth breather patients and co-workers). Anyway, this is just what I've observed and in no way represents my own current circumstances.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Got to be! Love that jumpline because Ive always been a timid jumper, but since I wrecked my shoulder in 12 I hadn't even tried jumping; Windham and Thunder have me easing into it and enjoying without absolute terror.

I still smash the DH pretty hard tho! DH **IS** awesome.
Whats the jump run @windham?

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
...fat dad actually acquires *moar* shit hot bikes & accoutrements, even as his brood increases and his saddle time drops precipitously...bike related acquisitions are made later in the evening after everyone else has long fallen into peaceful slumber and after consuming several mixed libations...it almost seems like Jeebus himself is sending you the exact fancy gear you want as reward for being an ever-patient father and husband.
You've distilled my secret to happiness and marital bliss. Guess I was extra blasted this week cause I'm getting some pretty fucking exciting shipping notifications in my emailz! :rockout::rockout::rockout:

In seriousness, it makes no sense to jettison the only possessions that I give a shit about and which contribute significantly to my overall happiness (not to mention my not falcon punching my coworkers) just because I can't use them as much as I'd like. May just as well cut off your dick just cause you hit a dry spell... :butcher:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I live within a short drive of both trestle & keystone. The past two seasons i rode trestle over keystone 3:1. I got burned out on 'those' trails, much more park than gnar imo. This year I've been only shuttling and riding keystone and remember what my dh bike is for.

Plus it's an unrideable 26" obsolete dhr, it's not like I'm going to sell the bike anyway so i may as well beat the hell out of myself on it
That's why I rent a DH bike when I go on vacation, like to Keystone. I want to hit the shit, I want to do all the runs. I don't want to go down there and not ride some of the best features and trails. Bringing your AM bike is fine for your local park, but if you're going to fly across the country or drive across to someplace special to ride, bring or rent the DH bike. It's worth it.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Another plus sized™ aspect of having a DH bike is giving substantially less fux when you stop, drop & roll through a rock fiesta versus your daily driver cartwheeling through said rocks. And if you're like me, you have 823's front and back, which from what I can tell actually leave deep tissue bruises on rocks. Conversely, I'm sure my 'Duro rims would be le sad if treated in the same manner. Anyway, enjoy your new gravity sleigh and the subsequent enlargening of the man sack.
I dunno man, I haven't had a sled in years but to me it seems that my Spitty is way easier to boost the first rock and skim the tops of the rest. For the most part I can be pretty smooth in the rough stuff, it's just that when I'm not, I end up with broken or dented parts. Oh well, the path to being a smooth rider is bumpy as shit.

Harry BarnOwl

Monkey
Jul 24, 2008
I agree with most of what you're saying except

Don't kid yourself... Having also lived "down South" for a number of years and ridden/raced all over England and Wales... most of the UK has enough technical, gnar, steep to completely warrant the use of a DH bike within an hour or so drive. You just need to know where to look When I first left Scotland for the South West back in the 90s I'd fully expected not to really need a DH bike anymore. How wrong I was... in the SW alone there are far more riders, far more digging goes on and overall there's always been a better scene than the entire stale Scottish scene.
Look at Dunkeld these days?... original DH track's blown out, lacks the flow it once had and overall is actually quite flat/short/slow running since the second half of the track has very little gradient in the first place. the rest of the hill is now full of shitty (what feels like half finished) mini DH tracks with fucking awful flat/uphill/pedally/boggy sections in the middle. all in the name of Enduro/Strava. Granted. there are some really good trails in the area too.

Oh... and those sandy woodland areas you dislike? Prime for BIG dirt jump trails and a thriving scene... Something Scotland has always lacked.

We're not all Jerries BTW

Middle aged Gary ;)
I could not disagree with you more. You're absolutely right about the digging and dirt jumps down south (I grew up a bit outside of london), but nothing compares with the variety of riding we have up here (aberdeenshire). Within a 40 minute drive from my house I can ride the following: all weather no-thought-required trail centre; all weather surfaced pump tracks; steep rocky rooty madness; flat out rocky rooty madness; fresh cut loam; jump trails for big bikes and plenty inbetween. I can't think of a single place outside of Wales down south that properly warrants a big bike, please enlighten me?

I don't know which Dunkeld you're talking about but it doesn't sound anything like the one I was racing at a few weekends ago at the SDA. The track was bloody brilliant and everyone was loving it. The top section still makes you feel like a flea hanging onto a dog's ballsack but it's SO rewarding when you get it right. From the fireroad down it was just perfect, they'd taped it to include a new loamy section into some classic dunkeld rock smashing.

The enduro trails there are also fantastic, and have hosted a few races this year with a great reception from riders. Adam at Progression Bikes has done an awesome job building a scene there and everyone's been loving the race series there.

There is nothing stale about the Scottish scene right now with more people loving bikes than ever and more new places to ride popping up everywhere. There's definitely some cool places to ride down south but they pale in comparison to what we have up here, probably due to the fact that there are actual mountains north of the wall ;-)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
please enlighten me?
Gawton/Tavi and numerous other tracks in the South West/Quantocks etc. would be a good place for you to start looking. Granted many southern tracks are fairly short but I'd far rather ride a short DH track than some longer #Enduro pish with UPHILL and boggy pedal sapping sections in the middle of your "descent".
Don't kid yourself an actual Mountain is required for a decent DH track. Nevis and Glencoe are the only SDA races held on Mountains and I can't think of many DH race tracks in the world where you actually NEED a DH bike to ride them. you certainly don't at any SDA.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Dunkeld SDA but I stand by my comment on the original track.

Harry BarnOwl

Monkey
Jul 24, 2008
Gawton/Tavi and numerous other tracks in the South West/Quantocks etc. would be a good place for you to start looking. Granted many southern tracks are fairly short but I'd far rather ride a short DH track than some longer #Enduro pish with UPHILL and boggy pedal sapping sections in the middle of your "descent".
Gawton and Tavistock look fun. I never made it down to Gawton last time I was down south but it hasn't popped up on the radar in the last few years for some reason. Are they still seeing plenty of traffic?

Sounds like you've been riding the wrong shit! I wouldn't ride what you're describing out of choice, and nor do I ever have to thankfully. There's plenty of stuff we ride our trail bikes on that I'd honestly feel more comfortable on on the big bike! It's well worth being on the little bike though for all the places you can get to with all of those gears.

Don't kid yourself an actual Mountain is required for a decent DH track. Nevis and Glencoe are the only SDA races held on Mountains and I can't think of many DH race tracks in the world where you actually NEED a DH bike to ride them. you certainly don't at any SDA.
No, you don't need an actual mountain for a big bike worthy track. It certainly helps though. And the argument about "need" of a downhill bike is pretty tenuous, you could surely take that to it's extreme as you can technically ride a unicycle down any of these places. Having said that, Ben Cathro only had his trail bike at the Glencoe black SDA last year and refused to do more than one race run. The place is gnarly as fuck, has to be one of the toughest places to race in the UK.

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure what we're arguing about any more, but the scottish scene is thriving and, in my opinion, better than the rest of the UK...if not for the variety of stuff you can ride, but all of the stunning places you get to see too. So if any of you are reading this from overseas and thinking about visiting, you definitely should - you'll have a great time whatever bike you have with you. Also the beer and the whisky is top notch ;)

Back to the original topic, downhill bikes are the tits and I wouldn't sell mine for the world :headbang:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Sounds like you've been riding the wrong shit!
Ha ha... Fuck off!
in my opinion, better than the rest of the UK...i
Sounds to me you're nowhere near well enough travelled to make that call. Just my opinion. ;)
Anyway, I'm not entirely sure what we're arguing about any more
I'm only arguing because I'm drunk.

I'm up for riding some of the places you're saying are cool near you tho. particularly interested in the big bike jump line you mentioned... may PM you at some point if you don't mind sharing?

Harry BarnOwl

Monkey
Jul 24, 2008
Ha ha... Fuck off!

Sounds to me you're nowhere near well enough travelled to make that call. Just my opinion. ;)

I'm only arguing because I'm drunk.

I'm up for riding some of the places you're saying are cool near you tho. particularly interested in the big bike jump line you mentioned... may PM you at some point if you don't mind sharing?
Hahahaha hey it's your loss! ;)

Wouldn't mind at all! DHFarm up at Portsoy is seriously worth a visit for big booters. The owner has been reshaping all of the lips recently too:

We've got a small local spot too but the forestry commission have popped another sign up just the other day saying it's due for demolition.

For local spots around Aberdeen, you've got:

- Kirkhill: lots of short loamy tracks and a couple of rougher rocky ones that can be done as a big loop
- Scolty: Steeper, rockier, lots of roots, rarely ever dry but lots of fun. Riding absolutely brilliantly at the moment as it's been dry for a while.
- Auchenblae/Drumtochty: Loamy, rooty, steep. We have a trail There's little bike trails over the other side of the hill too but haven't managed to check them out yet
- Durris: the aforementioned place due for demolition, a few nice booters but in a state of disrepair just now
- Millstone/Bennachie: rocks and loam, pretty fast in places. Trail bike friendly
- Pitfichie: old SDA track has had some changes recently and is really good now. Fast and rocky. Couple of cheeky secret lines up the "new" track too which are good for a session. You've also got the loop up and over Green Hill with an amazing rocky descent, and there's a set of loamy corners hidden in the woods that thankfully evade the Strava warriors
- Echt: steep and rocky up top and wooded at the bottom. A couple of man-made features but mostly natural. Best on a little bike but I would recommend a full face helmet
- Tarland: mini all-weather bike park with a decent pump track and a small jump trail. Wouldn't bother if you don't own a hardtail, and only really worth a short evening/afternoon visit.
-DHFarm: See above

Those are the ones off the top of my head that I ride on a semi-regular basis, but on top of that you've got some amazing big climbs/descents in the cairngorms (loch muick, lochnagar, mount keen) which are an awesome day out and a bit of an adventure.

The problem you'll find is that apart from Tarland and DHFarm, you absolutely have to know where you're headed as everything is completely unmarked. I'll happily show you round some time although I'm flat out with work commitments and strathpuffer training during October and into November. Whereabouts is it you're based if you don't mind me asking?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'm just East of Edinburgh... local (out the door) riding is mainly pretty flat woodland XC or barron hills but tweed valley. Yair, Thornie, Walkerburn, Inners, Peebles etc is all less than 40mins
Ridden pretty much all over the UK tho.. including a few of the places you've mentioned... just not recently.

That kicker looks well worth sobering up for...

Just bought myself a 170mm bike that should be perfect for an Aberdeen trip... will def PM you at some point.

Cheers.

Harry BarnOwl

Monkey
Jul 24, 2008
I've only done Inners/Glentress/Golfie down there but always enjoy a trip round that way. Thought the golfie was awesome.

Yeah it's a big one bastard, I'll hopefully go get it done next time I'm up. Check out the video I linked too, shows all the best stuff there.

Sounds like a plan, just fire me a message!

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I'm sad about all of this DH is fun but Enduro is better stuff.....I don't have the cash flow to buy another round of bikes for the crew