Quantcast

Fork add ons

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
True.

As much as Wuffles' points make some sense, what he's describing is never going to pass the "it looks clean" test.

Trust did their best to design and market a product that would appeal to the contemporary MTB consumer, to whom looks are more important than performance.
Yeah, cuz shitty damper performance is what we are looking for.

Last edited:

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
True.

As much as Wuffles' points make some sense, what he's describing is never going to pass the "it looks clean" test.

Trust did their best to design and market a product that would appeal to the contemporary MTB consumer, to whom looks are more important than performance.
This is the problem, because unfortunately every linkage fork has to get over that initial "looks funny, don't like it" reaction and if you pair that with even one thing that it doesn't do at least as well as a telescopic fork you are going to struggle to get enough market share in this industry to justify the cost of R&D. The number of people you are actually going to sell one of these to may only be in the thousands worldwide in a best case scenario.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
This is the problem, because unfortunately every linkage fork has to get over that initial "looks funny, don't like it" reaction ....
That is what everybody said about 29ers too, but now most of you fuckers are riding one.
Just sponsor a pro other than Jeff Kendall-Weed to ride it and bam, fanboys buy it like it is a cure for Covid.
Performance and looks are not everything or else you would not see so many of those Lauf forks. :bad:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
That is what everybody said about 29ers too, but now most of you fuckers are riding one.
Just sponsor a pro other than Jeff Kendall-Weed to ride it and bam, fanboys buy it like it is a cure for Covid.
Performance and looks are not everything or else you would not see so many of those Lauf forks. :bad:
I quite like the look of those things, I like it when ze Germans make things that aren't over complicated, when they keep it simple they make fantastic stuff.
A while ago I was riding with a guy on a Lauf suspended fat bike, his bike was 10kg, my hardtail was 15kg hahaha!

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I quite like the look of those things, I like it when ze Germans make things that aren't over complicated, when they keep it simple they make fantastic stuff.
A while ago I was riding with a guy on a Lauf suspended fat bike, his bike was 10kg, my hardtail was 15kg hahaha!
Not quite sure why you bring Germans in here, but Lauf is an islandic company.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have it under good authority there is another linkage fork getting ready to be unveiled...

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
If Fox, or a top-level racing brand like Comm, SC or Spec, did a linkage fork, that could crack open the market for praying mantis vibes.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
True.

The holy grail of a fork is one that has ideal suppleness, support and bottom out. Trust seemed to put all their eggs in the constant trail basket which compromized that by being harsh. They really solved a problem no one knew they had and created a problem most people will dislike. Also, to obtain that rearward path, the pivot point needed to be farther forward which contributed to the ugly mantis like appearance.

IMO the biggest potential of a linkage fork is anti-dive during braking, which makes that supple/support/bottom problem simpler.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I have it under good authority there is another linkage fork getting ready to be unveiled...
Would love to see someone do the amp style design again. Loved the parking lot test I did with on way back when.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Would love to see someone do the amp style design again. Loved the parking lot test I did with on way back when.
That F4 was really nice. But I guess you are limited to XC-style travel with that design.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Eh, I think Trust had trust issues. They had a shitty damper that they then used marketing wanketeering to hype up as not shitty (ala Cannondale), their prices were astronomically high, and in general they treated prospective customers like shit.

The DIY fork on PB (https://www.pinkbike.com/news/the-single-sided-carbon-fiber-diy-linkage-fork.html) is a much better fundamental design. You don't need to innovate much of anything actually, just package existing components in a novel way that gives customers options they didn't have before.

Good ideas:

1) You Mr. or Mrs. Prospective fork maker suck at damper design. Really, don't try it. Instead, just use an existing off the shelf shock that someone else has spent all the time and money making Not Shitty. Maybe don't even sell the fork with a damper, let customers choose their own.

2) There is no need for fancy Dave Weagle linkages. Single pivot will be fine. Minimize part count. Bonus points if you offer different pivot arms to let customers customize their leverage curves.

3) Nothing proprietary. Don't pull a c-dale and invent a hub standard. If you have a 1-sided fork, have some sort of thru-bolt clamp that works with standard hub sizes.

4) The biggest expense in fork manufacturing is casting the lowers (or uppers, for a USD fork). Since you're making a linkage fork instead of a telescopic fork, you can avoid this. CNC'd plates for the linkages, and welded tubing for the crown/body assembly will do fine. Existing frame builders should have most of the raw stock on-hand as-is, you're just combining them in a new way.

5) Points 1-4 are all about simplicity and using existing parts. This means your fork should be both durable, and at a price point that's comparable to, if not outright fleecing the competition.
What you're describing is pretty close to what Daambuilt is doing:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CAc_rT-lyBy/

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Not quite sure why you bring Germans in here, but Lauf is an islandic company.
I just put weird and carbon together and assumed Germany, thanks for clearing that up.

*EDIT- And leaf in german is Blatt.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Hmm, this one seems to be different, at least different location, Minneapolis:
Hey, so you folks talking about Trust. I'm working on a linkage fork. Simpler. Uglier. External shock eyelet-to-eyelet (like a rear shock, or like an Amp Research, or like a German:Answer). Rack eyelets on the upper legs. The linkage pivot locations are going to be different (longer arms) to more closely mimic the overall axle path of a telescoping fork.

I had been planning on releasing this fork regardless of Trust's unfortunate manufacturing issue by which so many others are also afflicted. I have some amount of sympathy for them.

Might be another month or so before the first one is ready. I just recently figured out how to make high temperature tooling on the cheap, which means I can now work with prepreg (instead of room temperature resin injection which takes a WEEK to fully cure) and thus increase my pace on projects where I need to make numerous copies of one part (the links / arms in this case). This fork has been a long time coming and I'm happy with what I'm seeing after many, many design iterations. It's funny sometimes when you set out to design something and then by the end of it you end up producing something entirely different.

Anyway, in the short term, the thing truly holding me up is making very, very, VERY sure that the steer tube and crown are absurdly strong. Because clavicles.

If you're interested, get at me.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
interesting - looks like daambuilt is building the uppers for the latest iteration from rocksled (now dual sided). still freaky AF aesthetically, but the thought of a simple layout like this - with anti dive and without the inherent bushing bind / friction of telescopics, in addition to significantly improved long term durability / reduced maintenance - is certainly enticing.

also a bit curious if something like this would have an effect on the fundamentals of bike handling; those long established circuits may be hard to over-ride (anti-dive alone, and the difference of chassis pitch dynamics, not to mention a very different axle path).

cool to see development like this, regardless.

https://www.instagram.com/rocksled_suspension/

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
interesting - looks like daambuilt is building the uppers for the latest iteration from rocksled (now dual sided). still freaky AF aesthetically, but the thought of a simple layout like this - with anti dive and without the inherent bushing bind / friction of telescopics, in addition to significantly improved long term durability / reduced maintenance - is certainly enticing.

also a bit curious if something like this would have an effect on the fundamentals of bike handling; those long established circuits may be hard to over-ride (anti-dive alone, and the difference of chassis pitch dynamics, not to mention a very different axle path).

cool to see development like this, regardless.

https://www.instagram.com/rocksled_suspension/
They do look similar don't they... based on what I'd seen from daambuilt, I got the impression it wasn't a collab, but a bit of tinkering alongside his regular stuff.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Boy the rear end of that bike sure looks well structurally supported and stiff! :rofl:
looks like he's experimenting w/ ~50/50 weight distribution & the associated suuuuper long rear center. also an interesting field of experimentation. whatshisface pro with the home built steel dh sled seems to be able to make it work. the fc/rc ratio of my old lahar was radical compared to anything (ie, an 18.5" chainstay paired with a short by modern day reach), and ripped in the corners (tho was a beast to manual). just fun to see people aggressively messing about with numbers. there's no reason we couldn't have been riding modern geometry 15 years ago rather than janky short/steep/tall; even with the relatively crap suspension at the time, we would have been miles ahead.

not to suggest there's radical improvements yet to made; entirely possible we're nearing a plateau of (somewhat) optimal design (like mx chassis).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Mostly I meant the completely unsupported single beam.

And no 18.5 chainstays suck in corners. You were just all over the front wheel and steering with your headset on your lahar.

Modern geo is what it is for a reason
And that reason is to lift the rider from those squatty rear ends.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Good ideas:

1) You Mr. or Mrs. Prospective fork maker suck at damper design. Really, don't try it. Instead, just use an existing off the shelf shock that someone else has spent all the time and money making Not Shitty. Maybe don't even sell the fork with a damper, let customers choose their own.

2) There is no need for fancy Dave Weagle linkages. Single pivot will be fine. Minimize part count. Bonus points if you offer different pivot arms to let customers customize their leverage curves.

3) Nothing proprietary. Don't pull a c-dale and invent a hub standard. If you have a 1-sided fork, have some sort of thru-bolt clamp that works with standard hub sizes.

4) The biggest expense in fork manufacturing is casting the lowers (or uppers, for a USD fork). Since you're making a linkage fork instead of a telescopic fork, you can avoid this. CNC'd plates for the linkages, and welded tubing for the crown/body assembly will do fine. Existing frame builders should have most of the raw stock on-hand as-is, you're just combining them in a new way.

5) Points 1-4 are all about simplicity and using existing parts. This means your fork should be both durable, and at a price point that's comparable to, if not outright fleecing the competition.
1) there's not a single suspension maker out there that would sell you their damper in bulk, at least not any company who's damper people would want to run

2) if single pivot is fine, name me more than 5 companies currently selling single pivot bikes. and i mean TRUE single pivots, not linkage driven single pivots.

2a) most people can barely set the compression and rebound on their suspension correctly, you're really gonna let them choose their own leverage curve? :rofl:

3) in general i agree with this, but sometimes limiting yourself to off the shelf components would prevent you from achieving design goals. or even differentiating your product from a competitors.

4) USD forks don't have cast uppers.

5) simplicity doesn't inherently mean durable. sometimes reducing the number of parts in a system increases the probability that one of them will fail.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Stirling were getting some pretty good reviews with their true single pivot, there will easily be five manufacturers doing them.

jezso

Chimp
Dec 31, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Guess this should have its own thread.

Vorsprung launched the secus, and now avalanche has something in the works. Works with current gen 36, 38, & 40 with air bleed ports.

View attachment 148656
I'm pretty sure someone has already commented the same, or similar.
But but what if one would try to squeeze all the extra features into the stanchion tubes, via making them longer upwards and maybe adding another crown on the top? Would that not be a solution? :s:no:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Stirling were getting some pretty good reviews with their true single pivot, there will easily be five manufacturers doing them.
  • Orange
  • Production Priveé
  • Marino
  • ????
Curtis XR650, Morewood but they are a bit old hat, DMR if concentric counts, I'd like to say Deubel but they only made a 26" frame then went away.
Santa Cruz still got one?
morewood is long out of business (and even then they were moving into linkage driven configurations before they folded), orange....... :rofl:, every other company is a small boutique operation.

santa cruzs last single pivot bike worth noting was the 2016 heckler.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
santa cruzs last single pivot bike worth noting was the 2016 heckler.
The "you can get a better-than-average suspension platform with a sigle pivot" crew is right when it comes to XC bikes. Longer travel configurations need some sort of demultiplication/leverage tuning to achieve decent compression rates without depending exclusively on the shock tune.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
before any of you accuse me of having it out for single pivot bikes, i don't. my DH bike is a true single pivot, and both my trail bikes are linkage driven single pivots.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
You had one of those French Canadian single pivot things didn't you?

Short travel SP is so effective you don't even need a damper, hahaha!
1598362235643.png

Oooh that isn't how it looked on the site.

EDIT- It's a four bar of sorts.