Quantcast

Fork Advice for bb7

jimbones

Chimp
Oct 19, 2006
I have a bb7 in good shape but my boxxer is shot. I could replace it with a used boxxer or Marzocchi (888, JrT, Drop, etc). What fork should I get. RS or Marz?
I want something with 7 inch (possibly 8 inch) travel. Your advice is appreciated.:imstupid:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I have a bb7 in good shape but my boxxer is shot. I could replace it with a used boxxer or Marzocchi (888, JrT, Drop, etc). What fork should I get. RS or Marz?
I want something with 7 inch (possibly 8 inch) travel. Your advice is appreciated.:imstupid:
I don't know how an 8" fork would affect your bikes geometry...but it would probably slacken it a bit...especially some of the older 888's...their crown height was a bit tall...

That being said...

I run a 888 works fork that's 3 years old and it's got some miles on it but just keeps on keepin' on.

Any used boxxer or 888 newer than '07 that's been fully rebuilt recently (check local sellers and LBS's....) should get you what you need...

jimbones

Chimp
Oct 19, 2006
Yea, the HA on the bike is fairly steep for a dh rig. I think it is 67 or 68 degree's. +(the bb7 is a 2001)

Question Is the Marz a better performer or are they equal?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Yea, the HA on the bike is fairly steep for a dh rig. I think it is 67 or 68 degree's. +(the bb7 is a 2001)

Question Is the Marz a better performer or are they equal?
I like my 06 marz 888 works fork better than the older (06-08) boxxer models because it just felt stiffer to me. I'm a big guy and can really reef on things pretty hard...I haven't tried any of the new boxxer models lately though.

Hmm...that does sound pretty steep. The 8" 888 would slacken that out some.

brokeONE

Monkey
Feb 2, 2002
asheville,NC
I had a bb7 started out with a monster T, switched to a boxxer, and my last fork on it was the 888. The 888 was by far the best fork the boxxer just seemed to have too much flex in it when I rode the rougher courses. I wish I still had that bike with the 888.

Attachments

jimbones

Chimp
Oct 19, 2006
BrokeOne

Thanks!! I also noticed there are quite a few drop off's available. I agree with you on the flex in the boxxer. I thought it was just me.

SeatPost

Chimp
May 17, 2009
Philly, sort of
It is hard to impossible to beat the boxxer at that level of travel. Stick with it. Although on you can probably pick up a good deal on any 09 marz. They are still trying to win back rider share since thier previous pooh lines of 07/08.