Quantcast

Fork advice

SpK

Chimp
Oct 4, 2005
I am a recovering freerider trying to move more to a trail/all mountain/light freeride bike. A nasty injury has forced me to not huck for a good long time. As such, I am trading out my trusty Z1 FR for something a little less intense. However, I do tend to ride rough no matter what so it has to be durable and strong, just not 6+ lbs. Any suggestions?

My choices as far as I can see it are the following:

Rock Shox Pike
Manitou Nixon
Marzocchi All Mountain
Fox Vanilla 130
Fox 36 (provided I win the lottery)

Maybe the Manitou Minute but I hear they are a little flimsy.

Anyone ride one of the new Z1's (05 or 06)? How heavy are they?

If anyone has suggestions I would love to hear them. And if anyone has one of these forks for sale at a reasonable price, I would love to buy one. Let me know.

SpK

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
SpK said:
Any suggestions?

Rock Shox Pike
Manitou Nixon
Marzocchi All Mountain
Fox Vanilla 130

If anyone has suggestions I would love to hear them.

SpK
If you're moving from a huck type bike to an All mtn type bike, I would assume you're going to still use a 20mm thru-axle. In my opinion, stay with a 20mm thru. That will keep some of your stiffness you've come to like. Of the shocks you have listed, I would stick to Marzocchi or Fox. The 36 would be my preference of choice for the rockshox.

You should look into the 66RC for Marzocchi. IMHO you can set it up for long days, and it is really sweet on the high/low frequencies. The standard springs that come with will probably provide 1 inch of sag, depending on setup, bike, and rider wieghts of course. The extra 1-2 inches on the normal riding side will allow for a nicer ride no matter what you'll encounter in the back country. Yeah, its about a pound heavier than the 36, but its not as expensive.

I'm doing the same (buying an all mountain) and plan on the 66RC or the Fox 36 (I currently own a SC Bullit with a 888)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
SpK said:
I am a recovering freerider trying to move more to a trail/all mountain/light freeride bike. A nasty injury has forced me to not huck for a good long time. As such, I am trading out my trusty Z1 FR for something a little less intense. However, I do tend to ride rough no matter what so it has to be durable and strong, just not 6+ lbs. Any suggestions?

My choices as far as I can see it are the following:

Rock Shox Pike
Manitou Nixon
Marzocchi All Mountain
Fox Vanilla 130

If anyone has suggestions I would love to hear them. And if anyone has one of these forks for sale at a reasonable price, I would love to buy one. Let me know.

SpK
I thought a lot about the Fox 36 vs a Z1. Both weigh about the same, but the 36 uses 36mm stanctions while the Z1 uses 32mm.

The cost difference is significant, up to $400. If I was on a budget I would get the Z1.

BussaFrame

Monkey
Apr 19, 2005
I have a 2005 manitou Nixon Platinum that I'm about to sell.

Either way onto the review. The fork is sweet, I put it through rough rides with no problems at all, with 5.7 inches of travel it is crazy light, sub 5 lbs. I had no problems with the SPV at all, there is enough adjustment to allow for the fork to be active and efficient.

SpK

Chimp
Oct 4, 2005
I agree that the Fox 36 is probably the sweetest all mountain fork out there right now. Its also the most expensive. Too bad for me.

I may have a line to getting either a Pike or a Z1 3 for a decent price. Any comments on those?

BussaFrame, how much were you looking to sell the Nixon for? I have heard mixed reviews on those but if its priced right...

As for the 20mm thru axel vs. QR argument, I just scored a pair of Azonic Outlaws with the converter to run either QR or 20mm so it doesn't matter to me. I have a QR right now on my other bike and it is fairly stiff. Not like the 20mm though.

JimmyTwoTimes

Monkey
Jun 26, 2003
West Hartford
I just bought a new 2005 Marzocchi 66 RC from JensonUSA on clearance for $495 (regular $775). You can't go wrong with that. Best of all - they use FedEx and NOT BROWN.:thumb: They sent it to me from the left coast to the right coast in one night! :dancing:

Edit: Pricepoint has 'em for the same price too. BUY IT!

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
No, don't get the 66RC for your purpose. I just had one & it's an AWESOME fork. It's not what you are looking for i guarantee it.It's a total core freeride & DH fork...
Try a PIKE...I had one & it's a great fork !

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i vote for the pike. lightish tough and rides really nice! look into the dual air ones, they weight even less than the coil and still feel awsome

SpK

Chimp
Oct 4, 2005
Alright, you folks have sold me on the Pike. I am on the lookout for one right now if anyone is selling. Likewise, if anyone wants a 2003 Z1 FR in very good condition, I am going to sell it. I have pics and whatnot. Make an offer if you are interested...

SpK

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I like the new 66 light with ETA. It isnt that light but the ETA would be nice.

or just keep the Z1. Its a great fork.

Tonycalves

Monkey
Feb 16, 2005
PB SanDiego/NYC
The new MBA have a good article on these type of forks. I hear you on the Fox, I got 1 only cause I got the sick deal on it. No way I could afford retail on it, but it's the shiit. Good luck Bro.