Quantcast

Fork/bike storage question

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I have always thought that it's ok to store a fork/bike upside down or even vertically. I've even heard, and thought it sounded reasonable, that it helps keep oil on the seals thus keeping them from drying out while being stored.

I just heard from someone that I trust that it's a bad thing, but have no good explanation.

From my personal experience, I haven't had any issues, but I'm curious, is it a bad thing to store bikes upside down or vertically?

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Why is it bad? Sometimes air in a hydraulic system will float up and give you a spongy brake, but that's because the system needs to be bled. If fork oil comes out the wiper, you need a new wiper. Storing a bike upside down is not a problem at all.

InsaNeil

Chimp
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah at my shop we always store bikes vertically. Sometimes the fork will feel a little funny when you first take it down, but you just have to cycle the oil threw by compressing the shock a couple times and your mint. And I heard it's good for the seals too.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
If you're going to check on the bike once every couple weeks, it'll be fine. If you're going long term, I'd store it upright. Those seals are not oil proof and may leak over time. But a few weeks at a time, no problem.

I've seen several bikes that have been stored for the winter by the front wheel come in with owners saying they had a puddle of oil under them. If you service the fork regularly and change the dust seals then you can store the bike upside down for a while. I just wouldn't put it out in the garage for the winter that way.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Thanks for the responses- you confirmed what I thought. Now I have to figure out why my buddy thinks this hurts the fork.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I was under the impression that storing the bike vertically (hung by the front wheel) is a good thing for most forks (RS, Fox) but some (Marz maybe?) not so much. I cant really remember, but it was one of the big manufacturers (Marz or Manitou) that storing vertically or upside down was not a good call. I run RS and store the bikes vertically.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
I was under the impression that storing the bike vertically (hung by the front wheel) is a good thing for most forks (RS, Fox) but some (Marz maybe?) not so much. I cant really remember, but it was one of the big manufacturers (Marz or Manitou) that storing vertically or upside down was not a good call. I run RS and store the bikes vertically.
Inverting the fork occasionally allows the foam rings to re-saturate with oil, but you don't need to store the fork upside down to get the rings coated. Usually, just riding the fork cycles enough oil to do the job.