Quantcast

Fork choices for heckler.

Sep 8, 2004
Hey,
I've got a heckler with a sherman Firefly on it, and I'm not really liking the fork much at all. Im currently trying to narrow down the selections, and was thinking about a 66rc (150mm) would that be too much, or too heavy to run on a heckler? I was originally shooting for a 05 Z1-FR1, but those are pretty hard to find it seems. The 05 66rc's are pretty easy to find, and pretty cheap too. Any opinions?

-James

Jun 18, 2004
the 66 fork has been good to me... maybe an 04 6" DJ 2 if $$ are an issue and weight is not... other wise a Z1 or a z1 w/o the springs and the 'dopio' air caps to make it an air fork... not sure if you can mod a 66 05 like this... oh yeah they have that 05 Pike U turn fork fairly cheap and you can adjust the head angle w/it... it's light...

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
36 talas is a sweet match for a heckler. 66 even @150 might be to much. Z1 is a good match too, pike as well. but of all the hecklers i've ridden those with 36 just felt so nice. lets you run a larger range of HAs.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
the 06 150mm 66 has the exact same a-c as the 36 talas, I would go for the 66sl or the 36 talas, a z1sl would be good too but not as stiff

1. 36-travel easy to adjust
2. 66-change travel by the negative air, 06's only!
3. z1-" "

Sep 8, 2004
Im going to give the firefly some more time while thinking about forks a bit more, the pike is starting to grow on me. A 36 or a 150mm 66-SL would be sweet though. Thanks for the input!

-james.

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
Buy my Flick Jimbo :) We need to ride when i get home its been like a year since we last hit the shore up...

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Here's the '04 small Heckler that I had set up three different ways.
DH/FR with a '05 66RC 170
DJ urban with a '04 Z1FR 130 and a shorter rear shock.
XC trail with the '04 Z1FR (locked down) and lighter parts.

Hope this helps with your build. Sorry about the crappy photo quality, I've got a nice cam now.

Attachments

Sep 8, 2004
Nice setups twisted! Its nice to have options for sure! I was thinking about getting a few lighter parts for doing XC stuff, but it pedals pretty well as is, and I need to lose more weight than the bike!

Ben- Its got a firefly right now, so I think the flick would be about the same. Let me know when you are back in town, I was just thinking about a shore trip earlier today. I'm due for a vacation and I need to spend it riding.

-James.

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
I've just got a manintou minute on mine, which I'm not happy with. From what I've read, the Pike is a really good match for the Heckler. Balances it out very well. That's the for that I plan on going with when I have the cash.

Supposedly there are some issues with the 36 TALAS. I guess it starts losing the amount of travel it gets after a while or something. I don't recall the details for sure, you might check the reviews on MTBR as I think there is plenty of mention if it there.

RFR

Chimp
Dec 19, 2005
Los Banos
The Z1 FR is a good fork. I can't talk about the others as I don't have first hand knowledge, but the Pike is supposed to be an awesome fork. That would get my vote...
-kevin