Quantcast

fork crowns with angled stanchion holes?

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
design wise, is this feasible? head angle is stock but fork stanchions holes angled to slacken the bike.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
Could be done.
BCD did it back in the day.
He called it his "angle of attack" design.
He built a custom fork around it that positioned the dropout where it was supposed to be.

It would only work for a specific stack height.
It would not change your effective steering/head angle.
It would do very strange things to your steering.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
no good
when you turn the wheel to the sides, it will change the angle to the sides.
with angleset it will stay angled to the front.
sorry for my english...

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
It would be no different than changing the offset of the crowns or dropouts, just more difficult and it would possibly help with high speed sharp hits by angling the suspension travel more inline with the impacts.

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
i think there is no significant difference in terms of strength if the fork crown's stanchion hole clamps is angled 1 to 2 degrees offset.......let's see maybe in the future someone will fab, test and sell it.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Changes the forks impact angle. Changes fork offset which changes trail.
It can and has been done. (Works supercross bikes have done this in the past)
The stack height hasto be absolutely perfect this is the main problem as anything other than design height would just result in missalignment if you can't grasp that fact, please never attempt to build a tripple clamp or you will probably win a Darwin award.

And what the **** is everyone's obsession with slack slack slack go buy a chopper and ride it down hill won't you. I hate hate hate slack feels like garbage.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
And what the **** is everyone's obsession with slack slack slack go buy a chopper and ride it down hill won't you. I hate hate hate slack feels like garbage.
They only feel like crap if you don't ride fast or on anything steep. Then they feel great.

I still think the slack bikes can turn sharper with an equivalent change to the offset/trail measurement. You'd do the same on a moto otherwise the handling would go to hell quickly.