Quantcast

Fork fixin...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
You'd think it would be harder than it is.

Swapped oil in the AM3 from 7.5 wt to 10wt resulting in absolute rebound perfection.

In doing so I inspired myself to undertake the real task of pulling apart the Black. Lots of plunger looking things, springs, rubber seals and metal washers galore. All in all it wasnt very complicated. Black works perfectly now. Somehow the travel adjust knob had gotten twisted inside the knob so the knob wasnt getting a full turn (problem fixed), and the rebound plunger was locked at a fully open setting (also fixed).

I'll never be afraid of fork repair again. Now what do do with a perfectly good extra fork... sell on e-bay or use as an excuse to build a new bike :think:, singlespeed maybe... possibly lightish XC bike? What to do, what to do.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
golgiaparatus said:
You'd think it would be harder than it is.

Swapped oil in the AM3 from 7.5 wt to 10wt resulting in absolute rebound perfection.

In doing so I inspired myself to undertake the real task of pulling apart the Black. Lots of plunger looking things, springs, rubber seals and metal washers galore. All in all it wasnt very complicated. Black works perfectly now. Somehow the travel adjust knob had gotten twisted inside the knob so the knob wasnt getting a full turn (problem fixed), and the rebound plunger was locked at a fully open setting (also fixed).

I'll never be afraid of fork repair again. Now what do do with a perfectly good extra fork... sell on e-bay or use as an excuse to build a new bike :think:, singlespeed maybe... possibly lightish XC bike? What to do, what to do.
Good work. :thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Forks and wheels... Everyone assumes they're black magic. They're about as simple as mechanical devices get, though.

Good job on the fork. :thumb:

It's amazing what you can fix when you just start unscrewing bolts, isn't it? I think it was kidwoo who said, in response to how to disassemble a Marzocchi, "Just start unscrewing stuff until oil comes out."

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
binary visions said:
Forks and wheels... Everyone assumes they're black magic. They're about as simple as mechanical devices get, though.

Good job on the fork. :thumb:

It's amazing what you can fix when you just start unscrewing bolts, isn't it? I think it was kidwoo who said, in response to how to disassemble a Marzocchi, "Just start unscrewing stuff until oil comes out."
LOL! Thats pretty funny.

I knew where to replace the oil in the AM, but after draining the oil from the black I was pretty much just unscrewing things in the most logical way I could imagine... my only worry was... "man I hope the spring doesnt come flying out and shoot my eye out"... didnt happen though.

NOTE: by comparison I found a lot more plastic in the black than I did the Zoke. I thought that the main caps on the top of the legs (the plugs you screw out to remove the oil and get to the dampening plungers) were crap... On the Zoke they are machined aluminum on the Manitou they're friggin plastic :rolleyes:. Talk about easy to strip.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
golgiaparatus said:
my only worry was... "man I hope the spring doesnt come flying out and shoot my eye out"... didnt happen though.
:rofl:

Like the Simpsons where Homer offers Lennie a can of nuts and the spring pops out and sticks in his eye? :p

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
binary visions said:
:rofl:

Like the Simpsons where Homer offers Lennie a can of nuts and the spring pops out and sticks in his eye? :p
that is the exact same reaction one will get from taking apart an X9 shifter.
Those a real hoot to put back together as well.:dead: