Quantcast

fork for 04 bighit spec

specr690

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
seattle, washington
some suggestions for a new fork for my bighit spec? I just got a new rear shock (fox vanilla r: $20 :) ) but the stock front fork is a terrible match with the fox. im thinking between 4.5" to 6" travel single crown. thanks

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
DownhillnDunkey said:
WHy you putting money into a bighit spec?... buy a new frame before fork.
I agree, both frame and fork on that bike just arent that great. Find a better frame that suits you and then get a fork. Buying used frames works good usually because you can find great deals.

afroboy

Chimp
Oct 23, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
Hey, just want to give my 2 cents
First, I'm not sure where the disses are coming from on the Big hit. I have had one for two years, worked on them for 3 years, and had many buddies riding them. Overall, they are one of the best all rounders I have known. I ride mine for DH and some trail riding (XC), with a Z 150. This is an excellent match for what I do, but I do agree that this is not a great setup for Dj-ing. If you want a great setup for riding everything but parks and dirt jumps, a fork like the Z 150 would be nice. It, like the frame, is built to take a beating. If you are going to dirt jump, go ahead with a Dirtjumper. They are inferior interms of travel performance for hitting things, but fine for what they are intended for. I have one on my hardtail and it pales in trail performance (yes, factoring in travel difference). That's it. Don't let these guys convince you that your frame sucks. Just figure out what you need and give er'.

Dec 6, 2004
Santa cruz Mountains
afroboy said:
Hey, just want to give my 2 cents
First, I'm not sure where the disses are coming from on the Big hit. I have had one for two years, worked on them for 3 years, and had many buddies riding them. Overall, they are one of the best all rounders I have known. I ride mine for DH and some trail riding (XC), with a Z 150. This is an excellent match for what I do, but I do agree that this is not a great setup for Dj-ing. If you want a great setup for riding everything but parks and dirt jumps, a fork like the Z 150 would be nice. It, like the frame, is built to take a beating. If you are going to dirt jump, go ahead with a Dirtjumper. They are inferior interms of travel performance for hitting things, but fine for what they are intended for. I have one on my hardtail and it pales in trail performance (yes, factoring in travel difference). That's it. Don't let these guys convince you that your frame sucks. Just figure out what you need and give er'.
are you talking about the spec? or the FSr suspension one.

afroboy

Chimp
Oct 23, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
By spec do you mean the single pivot model (cheap) (called the Comp in Canada?) If so, 'my bad', I am referring to the FSR Big hit. However, in principle, the single pivot bike should be ok with a good rear shock (sorted), and good parts. I am not sure that the stock version was any worse than any bike in the same price range...you? FOr a fork, I would not run one longer than 5" on the single pivot frame, unless you want a chopper. Obviously, for dirtjumping, steeper is better than slacker for headangles (within reason of course).

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Dont let people here talk you into hating your bike. Their right, it is a lower end full suspension bike, but its a good bike to start on and now that youve got a decent shock on it its definetly not a bad bike. If you feel like you've outgrown the bike and you have the money then sure, go ahead and upgrade but if the bike can handle what you are throwing at it (smaller drops/jumps, trails, ect) ride it till it falls about. Ive always been a fan of the rock-what-ya-got mentality

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
And to get back to the question you started this thred about before everyone started telling you that you needed a good bike, we really need more info about you and your riding style before we can recomend a fork, but one of the marzocchi DJ's would probably do great with you bike. Look for a used one, or a used z1 or even a manitou sherman, and you will be able to get a good fork for pretty cheap

Dec 6, 2004
Santa cruz Mountains
Im just talking about experience, i found that even the small jumps/drops ive been hitting on it, it didnt perform to well at all. i had the bike for about 2 months and decided not to upgrade anymore and to just buy a new bike.I have a 2005 manitou stance blunt, that came with my 2005 bighit, that is pretty much brand new, it has brand new lowers and seals. i had it on a hardtail for a few days and it was a pretty good DJ fork cause it was stiffer fork. it has 130mm travel. if you want it,i can sell it to you for $175. i have an 8in adapter for it too if you need it. It is your decision whether you should stick with the frame or not, maybe it will perform good for you, but a lot of people, inculding me where not satisfied with it. so anyways good luck with the bike : )