Quantcast

Fork geometry and Fit questions.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I've found a steel road frame that I'm interested in, but I have question about what rake the fork should I have. The frame has a 71.5 degree headtube and what little I can glean from a google search a 50mm rake fork might be ideal. Am I off base or would a more standard 43mm rake be better?

Re: fit. Say this frame I found is 1cm too short (I'm going to try to get measured and whatnot this week) can I compensate by getting a 1cm longer stem and/or layback post? I'm assuming I need a 53 or 54mm ETT and this frame has an ETT of 52.5.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
From reading:

Ideal trail is between 50 and 60mm with 57/58mm being the best.

Using this formula: http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/elenk.htm

A head angle of 71.5°, rake of 5 cm(50mm) and tire diameter of 68.5* cm gets you pretty close -- trail = 5.6cm(56mm).

Less rake(43mm) = more trail(63mm)

Can you tell a difference? I don't know.

*I couldn't find much on tire diameter, but they seem to range from 67cm(700cx23) to 70cm.

Here's Grant(Rivendell Bikes) messing around with extremes of trail and the results:

Last edited:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
As far as your extra centimeter, you could probably just slide your seat back a little(5mm) with a regular post. Also, don't forget about the reach of your bars, you can make up a little there.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Never compensate fore reach issues with saddle setback. Setback is one of those things like saddle height that is either right, or wrong.

Sounds like you need a 50mm rake fork to me. Is this a touring frame? If so a higher rake fork would probably be better to compensate for things like the lower bb and longer stays.

Need more info.

moff_quigley

Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
It's not a touring frame (doesn't have canti bosses anyway) best I can tell. Frame is a NOS RM Solo ST Classic with Columbus Spirit tubes.

Here's the geomoetry:
GEOMETRY
Size 50
Head Angle 71.5°
Seat Angle 74.5°
Horiz. Toptube Length 525
Headtube Length 102
Chainstay Length 400
BB Drop 70
Wheelbase 970
Front-Centre 581
Standover Height 767

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
The numbers on that bike are really, really odd. Whats your saddle height and saddle tip to bar center reach on your current road bike? Unless you are around 5'2-3" and have a real short torso that bike is going to handle pretty oddly. It's for Birds, methinks

moff_quigley

Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
The numbers on that bike are really, really odd. Whats your saddle height and saddle tip to bar center reach on your current road bike? Unless you are around 5'2-3" and have a real short torso that bike is going to handle pretty oddly. It's for Birds, methinks
Kinda what I was thinking. Sigh. I'm about 5'8" or 9". I'll measure my seat height as soon as I can, but I don't think the saddle to bar measurement will be reliable as the bike I'm on is way too big for me. It's an old Miyata and it measures almost 23" C to C (TT). My hands are going numb/falling asleep on me when I'm riding my rollers. Don't notice it so much out riding...although it does happen. The place that has the 50cm RM also has a 56. But I still think it will be too long and tall.

56cm GEOMETRY
Size 56
Head Angle 72.5°
Seat Angle 73.5°
Horiz. Toptube Length 560
Headtube Length 155
Chainstay Length 405
BB Drop 70
Wheelbase 994
Front-Centre 599
Standover Height 822

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
fyi, the owner of my shop, a master fitter, would not sell you a fork unless he knew exactly the rake and axle-to-crown of the previous fork.

Maybe he was being too much of a worry wart, but I wouldn't play around with rake unless it was less than 3mm.