Quantcast

Fork Help

bent_steel

Monkey
Jun 19, 2007
South
So I am building up a dj/freeride hardtail and I am looking at 3 different forks to compete the build. I am on the heavy side at 240lbs and want to run around 100-120mm up front.

Right now my options are:

Marz. DJ1
Marz. 4x WC
Pike 454 U Turn
Argyle 302

Price isn't a huge concern, just want a fork that is going to hold up.

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
I have ridden a few marz. dj forks in the past, usually abusing them for more than intended and they always held up great. The internals are incredibly simple, thus difficult to destroy. I'd stay away from the 4x WC. I believe they're an air spring, which may not hold up as well under your girth. As far as the pike goes, I've never owned one, rode a couple, but most owners I've talked to weren't impressed too much with them.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I have ridden a few marz. dj forks in the past, usually abusing them for more than intended and they always held up great. The internals are incredibly simple, thus difficult to destroy. I'd stay away from the 4x WC. I believe they're an air spring, which may not hold up as well under your girth. As far as the pike goes, I've never owned one, rode a couple, but most owners I've talked to weren't impressed too much with them.
Get the '07 4X WC. It is a coil fork and I believe 120mm for the stock travel. I am riding a lowered one and have zero complaints so far.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Get the '07 4X WC. It is a coil fork and I believe 120mm for the stock travel. I am riding a lowered one and have zero complaints so far.
The 07 is 110mm of travel and isn't really a true "coil" fork. I wouldn't use it for everyday abuse and thinks like freeriding. It's a 4x fork and wasn't designed to take drops or cases on a consistent basis. If you're gonna go with a Zokie the DJs are the way to go, cheaper, stronger, easier to service.