Quantcast

Fork idea

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
A Cannondale Lefty hub along with the axle mounted to a one legged rigid fork on a DJ/Park bike. Fully custom of course, I wouldn't be using anything but the axle off the Lefty.

Thoughts? There is a full lockout option on the Lefty fork, I've heard the hub/axle will take all the abuse you can throw at it. But can it hold up to DJ'ing and park on a rigid?

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Gracia and A. Chase have both rocked them hard at several events in the past...

would be an interesting project for sure, and no doubt start some conversation at the trails.

Try some of that "Aero" style tubing like GMD has been using on his sweet forks, just to get a little more rigidity over what one regular round tube might offer...

cully

Chimp
Jun 1, 2007
I personally think that you should have suspension if you're going to use a one legged fork design. with the lefty the suspension gives but if you make it rigid I don't imagine the energy transferring up the for leg into the bike but buckling at some point or at least flexing a lot.

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
I personally think that you should have suspension if you're going to use a one legged fork design. with the lefty the suspension gives but if you make it rigid I don't imagine the energy transferring up the for leg into the bike but buckling at some point or at least flexing a lot.

The lockout on the lefty is a full rigid lockout, no give at all, I've ridden one.

Cru with the extensive old school knowledge. So what's the reason those went by the waste side?

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Cause they were: not lighter, flexed more, seemed 1000% more attracted to pedals to rip spokes out, and failed often.
Yep. I know a few people that ran them that never had problems with them, though. I remember they looked crazy when I first saw them, but for a few years there, I got used to seeing them at race tracks.

It'd be interesting if a bmx company took another crack it it... especially with the light weight craze that's going on right now. There's has to be some heat treating or something that could be done now to make them strong enough and stiff enough, but still be lighter than a normal fork.

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
The main difference I see between the old style and the Lefty is the mounting of it. With the Lefty the stantion continues straight up on the side of the head tube, with mounting brackets on the bottom and top of the headtube with a dummy steer tube. I would think that would resolve some of the flex. I'll sketch something up on cad to look at when I get a few free minutes.