Quantcast

fork ideas

N

nbrocks

hey, im into riding street and im looking for a new fork, iv got an 05 norco 125 and im sorta looking at a 05 66vf or a z1. i'd like something around 130-150 maybe for some drops and stuff or stairs... any thoughts or maybe other suggetstions, id like to stay under $700CAD if possible. thanks a lot

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
a 150 fork will slacken the bike way to much for street even djs. not to mention that will feel like riding a dh bike. the 05 66 is the longest 150 sc fork you can buy. putting it on a 125 will make it feel like **** and snap the ht if you do anything big.
go for a djI, RS pike, manipoo gold lable or, what i would do, wait till the next version of the 36 talas comes out (with the incremental adjs.) and buy one of the used ones that some rich dude sells when he buy the latest and marginaly greatest. run that at low to mid travel and watch your homies drool all over it.

N

nbrocks

any ideas where i could find a 36 talas? and by the next 36 talas do u mean 2006 or wait for next year?

skurfer333

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I have the gold label myself and it is a great street/dj fork. I have the 80mm and its super short and stiff making the bike ride perfect. If you're looking to do large drops or stair gaps I'd definitely steer you somewhere else though, this fork is not meant to be versatile.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The 36 isn't really a good DJ fork IMO. It feels way to linear. I would run a RS Pike if I were you, plus you can find some good deals on the internet right now on 05's. Another option would be a Gold Label but I personally wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole.

Pete Malloy

Chimp
Mar 5, 2006
Guelph Ontario, Canada
I definately wouldn't go for the 66, way too much travel (and as mentioned would change the head angle)I have a Pike u-turn which is good for street or dj because of the adjustability. Shorter travel is what you need.

N

nbrocks

so bottom line, go for a pike?... or i'v found good deals on an 05 fox vanilla R fork, its got 90-130 of travel? what one?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
nbrocks said:
so bottom line, go for a pike?... or i'v found good deals on an 05 fox vanilla R fork, its got 90-130 of travel? what one?
Do you have a F wheel? If so, get whichever fork will fit it. The Vanilla is a quick release axle. The Pike is a 20mm through axle.