Quantcast

Fork in the road

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
So I'm at the proverbial fork in the road, I can't decide what to get between a 2010 Manitou Dorado (Aluminum) and a 2010 Fox 40. For all intents and purpose cost is about the same for each. I'm putting it on the front of a Morewood Kalula, the fork will be ridden mostly at Diablo, I'm just looking to see what people (especially those who have rode either or both) would recommend...all input appreciated!

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I have not spent any time on the Manitou, but I see quite a few. Every single person I speak to about it (and I ask everybody I see with one) tells me it is bar none the best fork they have ever ridden. I would give it serious consideration.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm with rigidhack. I've seen quite a few of them this year. If I were in the market for a fork and money wasn't an option, I'd go with the Manitou.

That being said, I'm currently on a 40 and am very pleased with it.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I agree with Demo on hte 40 availabilty and parts/tuning its a great fork, the Dorado seems to have turned a corner I was talking to Ulmer and B as well as the rest of the crew 1-2 years ago when they were riding them (Team KHS) and hands down said it was simply amazing... So Id be inclined to ride one and see first...

As Kranked said "That being said" Im on a Boxxer WC 2010 with Avy cartridge.... Havent ridden the Dorado yet but hands down this is the baddest set up Ive ridden aside of my 7U desert truck...

Last edited:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I would go with the 40. It's the devil you know.
The Dorado may be sweet, but I would give it a year to get wrung out.
Don't forget, 8 years ago, everybody said the first Dorado was the best fork ever. You literally can't give those away now.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Jon maybe we can set up my alum dorado on your cycle and let you ride it for a day. That would be the best decision maker right there.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Jon maybe we can set up my alum dorado on your cycle and let you ride it for a day. That would be the best decision maker right there.
X2 get a feel for it and definently see how it fits you... Seems different forks have different attributes from maintenance/relibility/performance/feel all are individual preferences and rider style will fit each differently like cars, suspension, bikes shoes etc...

If possible try both Ive made it a point not to take someones word in this sport, just take advice and see if it works for me.. Ive tried about everything under the sun and custom tuning is for me all the way...

Keep us posted and why you chose what you did...:thumb:
Good luck

EDIT: Oh hell I thought we were talking to the OP not JK. Hell you couldnt put that fork on that turd he calls a bike and make it ride good it would still feel like sh!t... :D LMAO

Hey Jon........:thumb:

Last edited:

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
certainly a fork donation would be the preferred, but since it's unlikely I'll probably just settle for taking it on some test runs, but we'll see. One of my concerns with the dorado is the air cartridge, I know it's not like the one used in the Marzocchi 888ATA that gave me and many others so much grief, but at the same time it's made me wary of all air products....i gotta say i did test ride a 40 a little last season and that thing just felt sooo smooth

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Don't forget, 8 years ago, everybody said the first Dorado was the best fork ever. You literally can't give those away now.
I think it because 8yrs ago it was the best fork ever. Name an 8yr old fork that you could give away? (Aside from a Super Monster, which retains a good deal of novelty/nostalgia factor).

I think Manitou is trying to learn from Rock Shox/SRAM. Pre-2005 and the introduction of the Pike, RS was the definition of crap. SRAM buys them out and the Pike changes everything. Now RS is back on top of the game again. Everything points to Manitou and the Hayes Group trying to do the same. Less products, higher quality.

As for the air stuff, I know it is not the same company, but I have been riding the hell out of a Lyrik Air for a couple of seasons now with no complaints. Air has come an awfully long way in the last couple of years. I don't think it is as much of a worry as it used to be.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I vote for the 40 as you know, but keep in mind an air can be set for anything and a hell of alot cheaper, if i want to change the rate on my fox 40, its time to buy new springs (yes it comes with them but rarely when u buy used) for a dorado just add moar air

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
don't fear the air spring...had one in a 08 boxxer WC with no problems, now have a 10 team and it's not noticeable, except for the dorp storp, which i'm on the fence about.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
certainly a fork donation would be the preferred, but since it's unlikely I'll probably just settle for taking it on some test runs, but we'll see. One of my concerns with the dorado is the air cartridge, I know it's not like the one used in the Marzocchi 888ATA that gave me and many others so much grief, but at the same time it's made me wary of all air products....i gotta say i did test ride a 40 a little last season and that thing just felt sooo smooth
in regards to the 888ata, it's pretty widely known that there were some underlying design issues. so don't let that ruin your taste for air forks.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
jonboy like i explained the other day, last year when we were testing the 2009 dorado we had some troubles with the air system. but since Manitou has redesigned it and it is working flawless now.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
yea i guess air is certainly more viable in the dorado, guess i might have to take you up on that offer yuroshek and just find out for myself...still waiting for someone to express any interest in my 888...

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
plus there's this great review of the dorado on CRC:

I don't own this Fork, but i've been tryin this in bikeshop, and it was so incredible, also it's really beauty. I would give my bike and 250 dollar for this :D. My bike is worth 600 euro, but this fork is just... FANTASTIC! If you are millionaire then buy this! That's the best fork in world!
:D

i'm a fox 40 fan but haven't ridden the new dorado. i can attest to the fact that in recent years the quality and CS of manitous has been pretty good in my direct experience.