Quantcast

Fork Mechanics

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Ok, I have found a site, ParkTool That showd me how the head stock is put together and how to size a fork. Is it me, or did they over complicate it just a little.

The question I have is, do I still have to pop the bearing, upper and lower, to remove my fork and install a new one?

I know that I have to make sure the fork stem height has to be measured and or cut.

Any help would be great!!!! Thanks

chunk

Chimp
Aug 10, 2001
Virginia
I'm sorry, but what are you trying to do?

If you're just replacing the fork, you only have to remove the lower race from the old fork and put in on the new one.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Thats it? what about the spacers? use only what I need obiously.

Is the lowert race a press fit as well? Thanks!!!

Where in VA are ya?

chunk

Chimp
Aug 10, 2001
Virginia
I'm in NOVA, Sterling to be exact.

Personally I'd use the same number of spacers that were on the old fork. This will allow you to adjust the stem height to a comfortable position.

You're also going to have to cut the steerer tube. Measure the old steerer tube length and cut the new one the same size. Use a pipe cutter to cut the steerer tube instead of a hack saw. It's easy to **** it up.

Use a file or sand paper to smooth out were the steerer tube was cut and put in the star nut. This is another tricky maneuver since you need to get the start nut straight. I've had luck using a long screw and a hammer but it wasn't easy.

Reassemble the opposite from the way you had disassembled. Be sure to take the opportunity to service the headset since everything is already disassembled.

Cool?

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
You're installing a new fork, right? Yes the headset will have to come apart but only the crown race needs to come off and put on the new fork. If you have a loose or caged ball bearing headset you should clean and regrease it. Note the direction the caged balls go in. If its a "sealed" cartridge bearing unit, check the bearings for roughness or play and replace if needed. You can also carefully remove the seal with a sharpedged blade and clean and repack those bearings too. You mention the new fork already has one????? Is it the same? It has to be the same as your existing one to work. The crown race is a press fit so you need to bang off the old one with a hammer and punch. To install it on the new fork you grease the parts and with a tube that just fits over the steer tube pound on the race all the way. Good idea to cut the new steer tube to the same length as the old one but test fit everything before you cut. You can't lengthen it if you cut too much. The star nut can be tricky to install. If you get your shop to do it they will(or should) use a tool for that purpose. I use the long bolt, and aluminum top cap method.

LoonyOne

Chimp
Aug 19, 2001
Iowa
SK6, where'd you get the kickin' Iron Maiden pic? I have all of their pre-85 stuff. They still match up with anything out there.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
The Z2 does not need to be cut.....and the guy at the LBS said the lower race should work.........

So well see..............any advice?

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
I'd love to give some advice that just says "Here, look how easy it all is!"
Alas, I can't. I was making the attempt at doing the same with my bike, realized I was in over my head and just went ahead and had a mech. do it for me. That's my advice.
But, if the mech. is a pretty cool guy/girl (they usually are), he/she may not have a problem explaining to you what's being done.
Sorry that my only advice is to have a prof. do it.:(

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
Are you using the same head set ?:confused: ,If not you may have a diffrenet stack height and end up with a short steerer tube not good :eek: If you have that many questions take it to your LBS and have a pro do it :) you will be safer and :D good luck