Quantcast

Fork Mechanics

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Ok, I have found a site, ParkTool That showd me how the head stock is put together and how to size a fork. Is it me, or did they over complicate it just a little.

The question I have is, do I still have to pop the bearing, upper and lower, to remove my fork and install a new one?

I know that I have to make sure the fork stem height has to be measured and or cut.

Any help would be great!!!! Thanks

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
When I replaced my fork I was pretty happy with the stem height of the old one. I took the old fork off and had the new fork cut to the same steertube length as the old one. If you do it this way make sure you take the crown race off of the old one before you measure it. If you are not happy with the height, or you got a new stem with a larger or smaller steertube clamp (is that what it's called?) you may need to follow the steps Park prescribes. Whatever you do, I would measure a couple of times before you cut. Maybe even mark your cut with a pencil, put the crown race on your new fork and put it all on your bike, stem and spacers too. Yeah the tube will be too long, but you should be able to see if you're cut is going to be off.

Good luck!