Quantcast

Fork Oil for Fox Float

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
I called Fox a couple days ago to ask a few questions, one of which was what fork oil should I use. The guy told me any 7 weight oil would work...okay, sounds good. However, today I was reading their warranty information and one of the things that voids the warranty is using "Non-Factory" oil. What's the deal with this, can I use any oil or does it have to be Fox oil? Where do I even get Fox oil? Can anybody help me with this?

Rev.Chuck

Monkey
Apr 11, 2003
Raleigh, NC
In the auto/moto industry they can not void your warranty because you used other than their oil or part as long as you use quality oil/parts. They are covering their butts, don't worry about it, just get some good stuff, moto offers the best oils. I like Golden Spectro myself.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
if you use an oil which damages the fork and it only voids the warrantee with respect to the damage caused by the oil. If for example, the crown cracked, Fox could not void your warrantee for using Torq brand oil because it has nothing to do with the crown cracking. If the man at Fox said use any 7 weight, go ahead. I'm using BelRay in my Fox and it works fine.

Fox don't make fork oil. They buy it in bulk from a company which mixes oils for various uses. I imagine they go to a catalogue of oils and additives and order something to their liking.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Can you change the progression of a Float by adding in a little extra oil?

Or what will a 10wt oil do? Change/slow the compresison?

Rev.Chuck

Monkey
Apr 11, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Ten weight is thicker and will slow the damping. Raising the oil level makes the "spring" more progressive, it's rate ramps up faster.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by Rev.Chuck
Ten weight is thicker and will slow the damping. Raising the oil level makes the "spring" more progressive, it's rate ramps up faster.
Cool... that's what I thought.
:thumb: