Quantcast

Fork oil leakage. Damaged seals?

Dec 18, 2019
Hi there,

I have this 2009 RockShox Argyle 318 fork that I want to sell. It is brand new, never mounted, never used. I had it sitting around in its box since I bought it. The only problem is that a few years ago I laid it down on the floor (not standing, to clear up any confusion) and when I checked back on it a few months later (~ 10 months ) I noticed oil had been leaking between the seals. Right after I put the fork in the standing position. The amount of oil that was leaked wasn't much at all. Is this normal to happen or the seals were damaged during that period of 10 months? Or were they just temporary damaged, so to speak, as seals are made out of elastic materials. And as it is with elastic materials, they turn back to their initial form once force ceases being subjected onto them. The seals present no cracks whatsoever. Also, how come all the oil didn't leak? Could've something else been damaged during that time as well?
I don't want to hide anything from the customer, all I want is to get a fair price for what it is.

Thank you!

P.S.: The temperature I kept the fork at was ranging between 32 F ( 0 C ) and 95 F ( 35 C ), no humidity, and I kept it away from sunlight. There weren't any sudden changes of temperature.
I'm selling the fork only in my country, which is not part of America.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Why do you hate Murica?

In case you're not a bot, squish it up and down a few times and see if it pukes oil or anything else untoward.

Dec 18, 2019
I don't hate anyone, it just comes from experience. I've met cases in real life where a newbie seller would come to a forum to ask for some pieces of advice regarding the product he was about to sell, and some people over there instead of helping him out with true answers, they put the product in a bad light for him on purpose (pretending they're experts), so he would drop the price. As he dropped the price, then themselves went on to buy his product, hence hustling the seller. So the lesson I took from this is never ask where you're going to sell.

Otherwise, thank you for the help!