Quantcast

Fork Q...07 40?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So as I'm tussling with my Boxxer and trying to get it where I want it to be, I'm thinking about the possibility of buying a backup or even replacement fork. Anyways...I'm looking at a used Fox 40 RC2, year 2007. I guess it was rebuilt in september and has the direct mount crown. I have no experience with Fox forks, but I've heard they're good performers. It's a cheap fork, I could probably sell my Boxxer for more than I'd pay for the 40, but am I going to enter a world of even higher maintenance and warranty issues? I've heard bad things in the durability department. I don't know if it's fair to assume the fork has slightly updated (ie 09/10) internals or if it's more likely to have the same 07 damper.

Anyways, any help would be appreciated, I simply don't know that much about the 40. Contemplating the 888 as well, but that's a whole different story.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
also...I'm not afraid of some maintenance (ie, dropping the lowers on my boxxers every couple of weekends) but I don't want to have to worry about internals and things like that, if possible.

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
Fox sells a retrofit 2011 damper that you can drop in the old forks. I think they want around $400 for it though

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
if the chassis is good, go for it. new internals are compatible. If you can get it by this weekend, Fox will be at Plattekill and will rebuild it.

in terms of maintenance, its really not that bad. if I ride every weekend, i clean and lube the dust wipers twice a month, and change the oil in the lowers once a month. once you get used to the process, its maybe a 20 minute job.