Quantcast

fork question

Truckie

Chimp
Sep 5, 2001
New Mexico
What if I put a 99 Jett XC on my old rigid bike to hold me over till I can save up the $ for a new bike? I can get one for $65.

Problem is that I need a brake hanger. Could upgrade the brakes from cantis to v-brakes but my shifters are 7sp and are mounted to the brake levers. I don't want to upgrade everything on this bike.

Does this sound like a good idea?

Any other ideas?

Last year I put a fork on my Rockhopper which had canty breaks too. I put a manitou on it and it was ok, except I lost some breaking power. The guy at the lbs said it would be kinda expensive to upgrade and not worth it.

So, I guess my advice would be, try it before you decide to upgrade it.

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
If I recall correctly, the 99 Jett has a port for cantis. Go by your lbs and have them take a look. I think you're already set for cantis or v-brakes.

Truckie

Chimp
Sep 5, 2001
New Mexico
Yeah that is the ONLY reason I was looking for a 99 Jett because some of them came with the brake hanger like the one I found. I can't do the v-brake thing unless I start doing a lot of upgrading.

Truckie

Chimp
Sep 5, 2001
New Mexico
Originally posted by chunk
Your LBS might also have a cable hanger that mounts below the stem.
That might be why you had some problems. The cable hanger needs to be on the arch of the fork. If it is not then the travel of the suspension will put slack in the brake cable.

Dirtsurfer

Chimp
Sep 8, 2001
'Burbs of Chicago
Originally posted by chunk
Your LBS might also have a cable hanger that mounts below the stem.
Sorry Chunk but that won't work with a suspension fork. Not sure about that fork, but most others have a tapped hole at the center of the brace for mounting a cable stop for canti brakes. Another option would be to buy some lower end V brakes, end of year clearances would make it the right time to buy.

novice

Chimp
Aug 8, 2001
Madison, WI
stay with the rigid for now, a jett probably will not make you any faster. The jett is both heavier than a rigid fork, and is a pogo stick. It has almost no small bump absorbance, and when you do hit something it will spring back at you just as quick. This is because the jett has no damping either. If you really want to switch to a suspension fork now I would reccomend that you check ebay for an older judy with the hanger for canti's, this will probably be the cheapest thing to do. It will also get you a better fork than a pos jett. Also avoid the indy as it was the predicessor to the jett. And stay away from judy tt's, as they have the jett internals.

Truckie

Chimp
Sep 5, 2001
New Mexico
novice,

That was what I was wondering. I knew it was not a great fork but it seems like a waste. I am not concerned about going faster, I just need to take the edge off the harsh ride of my aluminum frame and fork.

Dirtsurfer,

I can't switch to v-brakes unless there is a 7sp pod shifter available. The only one I have found is a grip shift and the old thumbies which I hate. Plus that would involve more cost than I want to spend on this bike.

Thanks for the help!

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

Hey Truckie, you can adapt v-brakes to older levers with a device that converts the two. I think it's called a "Travel Agent" and looks kind of like a snail on the top of the v-brake where the "noodle" used to be. Real cheap solution to getting better brakes. I would suspect that Performance or one of the bigger online stores would offer such a device under "brake accessories". Much cheaper than buying a cheap-ass fork that you will want to get rid of later.

Then again, you may be into the retro thing, what do I know. :D

M

MuDHoG

Originally posted by sirknight6
I have a 2001 jett if anyone is interested!!!
ahhhh.....sk6 always the opportunist eh, lol! Didn't you sell that fork anyhow? :D

M

MuDHoG

I'll give ya 5 dollars for it (canadian of course, so thas about 78 cents your currency lol)looking to make a off road pogo stick!!!!!!!!:D