Quantcast

Fork service for dummies

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
I'm one of those heathen's who has never actually had any suspension serviced on my bikes. I've meant to send in our forks to have it done, but never actually gotten around to it. (Side note: All the bike shops around here are trash and I wouldn't trust them with my bikes, so getting it done locally isn't really an option.)

This winter I feel like I should have a go at doing it myself if it's feasible. What sorts of special tools would I need to do it properly? I've got a variety of forks to deal with, a Fox 34, an MRP Ribbon air, and a Cane Creek Helm coil.

I also have a couple Fox rear shocks that ought to be serviced, but maybe those would be best sent in for now.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
All of the above should hopefully have service manuals available on their websites. Out of them all, if those are Fox float rear shocks, those are simple to do.

Atomic Dog

Oct 22, 2002
Are you talking just seals and oil? Or total break down service?
Seals and oil at a minimum, total breakdown if it's something that is doable at home.

I assume I'll need some sort of press for the seals, I haven't looked into what other special tools I might need to do anything else.

Out of them all, if those are Fox float rear shocks, those are simple to do.
Wife's bike has a Fox Float Factory CTD and mine has a DPX2.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Have you changed the travel on your helm coil? When I did mine, I had to buy some tools I didn't have and also bought a nice adjustable torque wrench.

It clunks so maybe I did it wrong but it seems to ride well.

Atomic Dog

Oct 22, 2002
Have you changed the travel on your helm coil? When I did mine, I had to buy some tools I didn't have and also bought a nice adjustable torque wrench.

It clunks so maybe I did it wrong but it seems to ride well.
I have not, but I'd like to. The previous owner of the pedalhead had it set at 160mm. While it rides surprisingly well that way, I think it's a bit overkill.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
CTD's are super easy, I presume a DPX2 is similar but I've never done one.

I think the only tool I use servicing a CTD is pick and toothpicks to pull out the o-rings I'm replacing.