Quantcast

Fork Swapping

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
OK - time to move the forks around - I am considering a few used options. Can you help me with some questions???

I have a 2001 Marzocchi X-Fly 100 air/oil that I ride pretty stiff - I only use about 65 to 70 mm. I like it fine but am comsidering a 2002 Marathon 80 mm as a replacement. The X-Fly was the older XC model and the Marathon seems to be it's replacement.

Anyone have experience with both?

The other option is a rebuilt 2001 SID. I have a 2002 SID SL and I like it.

I am building a beater hardtail and won't be buying anything new for it. The only other fork I have lying around is a 1997 Judy XC. I can also get a Duke cheap.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Hey SM, I just purchased a cartridge tool, oil, and rebuild kit for the SL. I will have a full report in a week or so on how it is to rebuild this thing. Of course, by then you won't care. But, just so you know...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by ghostrider
Hey SM, I just purchased a cartridge tool, oil, and rebuild kit for the SL. I will have a full report in a week or so on how it is to rebuild this thing. Of course, by then you won't care. But, just so you know...
Actually I will care - but I need one that has not been cut. The bike has a head tube of 6.25" most of the forks out there have been cut to under 7.5" :(

So nobody admits to knowing anything about XC forks??? ;) :p ;)

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Actually I will care - but I need one that has not been cut. The bike has a head tube of 6.25" most of the forks out there have been cut to under 7.5" :(

So nobody admits to knowing anything about XC forks??? ;) :p ;)
I know that I'd sell you an EXR w/ a steerer that is 8.5" long for $100 shipped. :)