Quantcast

Fork update

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I have ~2007-ish Black Market Riot with a similarly aged Marzocchi fork with a front QR axle. I use this bike for pump tracks, a (hopefully) annual visit to Ray's, and general screwing around. I've been thinking about updating the fork because the QR/front axle has developed some play, that I admittedly haven't done any troubleshooting on, and I'm also not sure where to start in terms of servicing the fork which is incredibly sticky and feels terrible. Biggest thing is probably the QR because it's in my mind every time I push into a berm.

I was thinking about updating to a fork with a thru axle, but I can't really justify spending any significant amount of money on it. Need a 1-1/8" steerer. Looking at potentially the ultra cheap Manitou Markhor, assuming it isn't junk, or potentially one of the Circus forks. Any other/better options? Anyone looking to get rid of a ~100mm fork for 26" wheels?

Edit: Crappy Markhor is pretty hard to come by in a non QR configuration, so probably another option.

Last edited:

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I like my Manitou Circus for pumptracks and jumpy stuff, because the damper can be locked out to fully rigid (thickkkk stack), or set to very fluffy. The only annoiance is the clamped 20mm axle mine has, but I rarely have to take the wheel out these days, so I don't care as much anymore.
Lots of people around me just use an old Rockshox Reba pumped up to high pressure. Seems to do the job just fine.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
early gens of the 831 were available in straight 1-1/8 steerer. good luck finding one tho.

i've heard consistently good things about the circus over the years, so that may be your best bet.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Thanks, guess I'll keep a lookout for a deal on a Circus. I remember the 831, but yeah, imagine those are hard to find.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Thanks, guess I'll keep a lookout for a deal on a Circus. I remember the 831, but yeah, imagine those are hard to find.
i have one on my yeti 4x, but not for sale. just super hard to find straight steerer forks these days, especially for DJ.

the 831 was basically a 32/34/36 (depending on the year) with a 100mm air spring. if you could find a straight steerer 36 you might be able to locate the 100mm air spring for it (or modify the air spring if you are SUPER handy)

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
my 831 is on the 32mm platform... and dammit now i want to find a 36 platform one

:homer:
Other thing that I'm contemplating is just to get a newer bike that's a bit longer. I don't get to ride this very often and it's so small compared to anything else that I'm used to riding that it's a big adjustment.

Good luck on the search for the 36.