Quantcast

Fork upgrade

jessem19

Chimp
Feb 23, 2010
My team is about to do a SRAM order soon, which means that I'll be able to get a good price on a new Rockshox fork.

My current setup is a 2009 Gary Fisher Piranha with a p.o.s. 100mm Tora. I'd like to upgrade to something with a bit more travel, maybe something with 120-140mm? Would that mess with the geometry too much? Eventually I'd like to get a decent full suspension frame for trail riding and such, so I'd like to have a fork with enough suspension to handle that. Suggestions and opinions are appreciated.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Whether it will mess up the geometry too much depends on what your definition of too much is. The conventional wisdom is that an inch of extra fork height (don't know the exact axle to crown measurements of these forks, but it may be worth checking) makes the head angle 1 degree slacker and of course raises your front end, which can be at least somewhat compensated for by changing stem/spacer setup. My guess (and it is really a guess; suspension setup, bike fit and a-c lengths vary) is that 120mm would be noticeable, but probably okay; 140mm might be pushing it.

Something to consider is that depending on what FS frame you might decide to get, a 100mm fork might be just fine. But if you want more travel then I'd suggest just getting one with adjustable travel that goes down to at least 120, preferably 100.

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
Check out a Rockshox recon, lighter than the tora, can get adjustable travel in the u-turn model or air model(via spacer)
I suggest one with the motion control damper. Look around, they can be had very cheap...