Quantcast

Fork, what Fork?

hitekrdnk

Monkey
May 15, 2006
Picked up a Sept. issue of MBA today (I am on the road looking for cheap thrills, what can I say?) mainly because it had a pic of one of the camo Intense spiders on the cover. First off is a pic of a Kona humma--------that some British gent made in to a 29"er and won last months "make it shonky" contest. A little further in it had a whole page dedicated to letters to the editor on the previous issues 26/29 blind comparison test, all in favor. A pretty glowing review of the Spider, and even a heading under Racers, Hardtails and 29'ers in their mini bike test thing towards the back with a Paragon and the Carver 69er.

One thing also which relates to the latter however was in the "What ever happened too...." section of notable disappearing acts in the mtb industry. One of the topics was 24" wheels which they admitted that they had heralded the potential benefits of, but time, public opinion and technology put to rest. They went on to say that "simply put different wheel sizes turn in different arcs, complicating handling."

Wouldn't that same simplicity apply to a 69er if it were that simple?

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
Remember the Beast of the East from Cannondale? Being from that era, I still want one LOL.

I'm not sure why they'd say the 24" setup would work more poorly on a 26er than a 26" on a 29er...

There are also quite a few folks in the DH set who still like the 24" rear.

El Caballo

Chimp
Nov 21, 2004
East Bay, West Coast
"Different wheel sizes turn in different arcs" is false. AFAIK, physics says that for a non-sliding turn, turning radius has to do with the location of your center of gravity versus the line drawn between the wheels of the bike.

I think people didn't like 24" wheels for a couple reasons:

1- The same reason we like 29" wheels -- smaller wheels get hung up more on bumps.
2- Chainstays that short hang the average adult's ass right out over the rear axle. Unless you're a trials rider, this isn't good for handling.

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
El Caballo said:
"Different wheel sizes turn in different arcs" is false. AFAIK, physics says that for a non-sliding turn, turning radius has to do with the location of your center of gravity versus the line drawn between the wheels of the bike.

I think people didn't like 24" wheels for a couple reasons:

1- The same reason we like 29" wheels -- smaller wheels get hung up more on bumps.
2- Chainstays that short hang the average adult's ass right out over the rear axle. Unless you're a trials rider, this isn't good for handling.
You tend to take more of a beating on a 24"er too.