Quantcast

Forks - 04 Z150 SL and 05 All Mountain SL

J

JRB

So I ended up ordering an 04 Z150 SL on Wednesday night. Well, the confirmation came and I realized I was getting an 05 All Mountain SL 150. I called Performance and told them the description was wrong and charged a Z150 and they waived shipping. Well - the AM SL came, and minus the QR20 dropouts, it is very nice. I got a hucker bike, but won't hit anything huge, so the machined crown and the QR drops shouldn't be an issue. Thing is, the adjustments on the AM seem bad ass. The Z150 has ECC5, but just cycling it off of the bike, it feels like crap. The rebound is too fast when it's wide open, and the first click has a bad top out. The AM has rebound on the bottom and has adjustment to 130mm by negative air. They are the same weight, until I add the axle, which is nearly 1/4 pound, believe it or not. The weight is no biggie. Thing is, the AM is to be sent back. I guess if I send the Z150, I should pay shipping, since I kept the wrong one. I guess the question is, for a trail bike, as the X2 is, should I keep the All Mountain or the Z150. My hub is convertible, so that is not an issue. Is QR20 that much stronger in terms of preventing flex, or shoud I just stick with the QR on the AM? I have roof racks that it will work on if I do. Help a brutha out. I want to mount one in the next few hours, but want it to be the right one, and don't want to lose a ton in shipping. The AM was $400 and the Z150 was $420.

J

JRB

Wumpus said:
Did I miss something the other day? I would have sworn you said you wanted a coil, and here you are asking about two air forks.:confused:
Uhm - yeah - I have had a little change of heart in the matter. I like the Z1 FR SL I have, but want more travel. One of these two should do it.

*but that isn't helping. Give your input.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
loco said:
Uhm - yeah - I have had a little change of heart in the matter. I like the Z1 FR SL I have, but want more travel. One of these two should do it.

*but that isn't helping. Give your input.
You should send both back and keep the Z1. I don't use all the travel on my bike(Z150 for those that don't know).

Then buy Caroline something nice with the money you save.

J

JRB

Wumpus said:
You should send both back and keep the Z1. I don't use all the travel on my bike(Z150 for those that don't know).

Then buy Caroline something nice with the money you save.
Exactly - I did on Sunday, so there must be a need for an extra inch. :think:

*Caroline will do OK. I may keep the Z1 for her.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
loco said:
Anyone with any good thoughts?

If you are worried about the quick release verus a 20m thru axle I wouldn't let it stop you.Back years ago when i had my Str8 it had an old JR T on it with a standard QR.Did up to 12 foot drops and raced some gnarly terrain @ Windrock and it never gave me any problems.

J

JRB

Hmm - as stated in the DH forum, the AM would be worth more to resell, but I wonder about the machined crowns. They both look the same with regards to the lowers.

J

JRB

Well - as Julie pointed out, I ordered the Z150 and wanted a 20mm axle, so I put the Z150 SL on. If I hate the air, I can always change the cartridges. I did a little ride that just has some short 100 yd downhills, with a couple of 1 foot drops. It was fun. It climbs a little silly on my bike, but I quickly got used to it. It goes down really well. There is a little down with a couple of small jumps and a rythm section (tiny at best, but rythm none the less) and it was awesome. I need a little more air, and may put 10 wt in one side, but I like the ride. :thumb: The AM goes back when the call tag gets here.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
No matter what, a 20mm vs. QR fork the 20mm is going to feel tons stiffer. But QR's still can be ran on almost anything anyways. I just happen to have all 20mm on my bikes, makes things on the front ends easier.

Don't the newer Z1 FR have 150mm of travel? I saw one on a bike at supergo and thought it looked pretty beefy. Almost like a marzocchi copy of the Fox 36. For some reason though the AM series of forks don't seem to be all over the place. I dunno what the deal is, but if you think about it you don't see many around on new builds or ebay etc....It's probably just because it's a newer fork and hasn't hit the masses yet.

If the z150 has no springs (I dunno this fork) I'd say up the oil level if you can and add a little pressure if needed. Thank god zocchi forks are so easy to adjust and figure out.