Quantcast

Forks, sprockets and chains...

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
So after ALOT of failed atempts at getting sprocket stalls down iv'e got a few questions. (I'll post pictures tommrow)

1.My fork bent in a bit, Well the lowers right were the seal's go has bent in a bit. It's not leaking or anything but is this to be a concern?

2. I have bent the hell out of the teeth on my sprocket and the sprocket it's self. It's a profile imp...I like it..Alot.. But im looking for something i can just beat the hell out of...A Tree maybe?

3. Chains well my chain is just the standard single speed chain, is
1"8th or what ever it is worth it?

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
can't comment on the fork (for me it's all about rigid), but for 2 and 3: after bending many sprockets and wrecking as many chains it was clear to me that either you don't do sprocket stalls, or you buy some really heavy stuff. I went with the last one and the gear lasts for over 2years now. Not bad, regarding my main interests on concrete are sprocket-related.

chain: basic small motorcycle ones last forever. I'm using one from the Regina brand, might be this one: http://www.reginachain.it/eng/products/production_range/scheda_standard.shtml
sprocket: it has to be really thick else it bends. I'm using this: http://www.hangloosebmx.com/images/hng-busty.gif

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Back in my younger days I did tons of stuff on sprockets. I started racing so I ran light ones and I would bend and shave off teeth and elongate the spindle hole almost right away. Stronger sprockets started to come out but they all mushroomed.

Then, one day, a little company called Tree appeared on the Map. I started running their stuff about 4-5 years ago, and I actually still have the same one on my 20". The teeth don't bend, the spindle hole never elongated, and worked really hard to break it. They are bombproof, probably the best part on my bike. Without a doubt get one of those.

As for the chain, I've run a lot of different stuff there as well, and snapped a lot of stuff. Go to your local bike shop or order a KMC 510HX or 610HX. They come in a gold box that has the word premium written on it in silver letters. These chains are smaller, but they are heat treated and I have never broken one.

Basically with that combo you should be able to bash away.

One question about the fork, what do you have, first, and are you sprocketing so your ft wheel lands on something or is it hanging over. I'm assuming the first. I can imagine that would put a lot of pressure on a suspension fork, especially something that is extended out (not lowered). I have never done that type of riding on a MTB so I can't say (unless you count big logs). If your really riding a lot of street a rigid might be a good idea or something a bit more burly, I just picked up an Argyle and it looks good, but again I haven't done anything like that with it.

Anyway, get your tree and a premium chain and start there.

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
totally agree on Tree (btw sprocket picture I linked to is actually a Tree one).
As for the KMC chains though, they are indeed quite strong, probably the strongest bmx chains on the market, but still not comparable to the Regina chains. I wrecked a 510 in a few months. Might be fine if you're a weight freak though, and willing to check them for errors before every ride.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Alright the Tree sounds good, along with the chain. As for the fork it's an 06 DJ 2. How im landing is with my front wheel hanging over, it's just a little wall. But when i tired hoping backwards off the wall i sorta brought the bike with me half way and droped it on the wall.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Try the Odssey MDS (million dollar sprocket) with the inner guard too. Then you don't have to worry about bending teeth, nor jacking the chain plates.

...as for the fork... are they aluminum stanchions, or steel? Either way, I'd be worried, haha...

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
I dont know...But as far as going with a bigger chain im going to need a bigger what ever the hell in the back? Iv'e got a Gusset SS kit back there.