Quantcast

Forks that won't snap?

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
Im in the process of geting my 07 ride sorted out, i have been offered a 07 glory complete bike super cheep so i can sell the bits i dont want and get my prefered parts/lighten it up a bit.
I was originally going to put a pair of boxxer wc's on it but i just recently snapped my 05 races again! the first time i could see how i did it but they went stupidly easily this time especially considerings i am quite a light rider they just completely folded snapping one of the legs completely in half (under the bushings) where the metal is super thin if youve ever seen a snaped pair.

So have the boxxers been strengthned since 05?
should i keep the 40's/are they ang stronger?
or should i go 888 airs?

My problem is that im a bit of a diehard boxxer fan i like the progressive feel of boxxers and hated the first 888's because their super linear, i hear they put more compression on for 06 but are they much better, also i had a ride on some 40s and although they felt smooth i didnt realy like the felling of having somthing so big on the front of my bike but i guess id get used to that.

:confused:

cheers :cheers:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I would base my choice of fork based on performance rather than which one is most likely to snap...Not sure if the Boxxer lowers and/or the stanchions have changed much since '05, but I know plenty of guys running WCs and none of them have snapped...Hell, Rennie and Peat run'em...Seems that they can develope a leak which manifests itself by dripping out of one othe adjustment knobs, but it's an easy fix...

40's are nice because they are stiff, very adustable, and aren't too heavy...I now run a 888 RC2X and love it - mainly b/c it's less maintenance intensive, pretty stiff, and not overly heavy...But really, any fork can snap if you ride hard (and a lot) or front wheel case a big jump for instance...So if you like Boxxers, just go with the WC...Arguably the best race fork on the market right now...

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
jackalope said it, all forks will snap under certain conditions, some under more normal conditions. imo all top end forks from the main manufacturers will only snap under very special conditions. and all of em have pros and cons. i ve seen all of the models break and leak. if i had the money and the service in my area were any good i would go for the 40, if u re on a budget go for the 888...personally go for the air...so u can give me a review really soon and tell me if it is any good. cheers

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I am keeping the 40 that is coming on my 07 Glory. I ran a 06 Boxxer Team this past season. If you are only looking for weight the 40 is only 1/2 pound more than the WC. I really don't think you will tell a difference in the weight when ridding it. You will find that the 40 tracks better and will hold a steight line better than the Boxxer. I know some will disagree with me on that, but that is my own opinion!!!:cheers:

dhrace507

Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Mountains
Im in the process of geting my 07 ride sorted out, i have been offered a 07 glory complete bike super cheep so i can sell the bits i dont want and get my prefered parts/lighten it up a bit.
I was originally going to put a pair of boxxer wc's on it but i just recently snapped my 05 races again! the first time i could see how i did it but they went stupidly easily this time especially considerings i am quite a light rider they just completely folded snapping one of the legs completely in half (under the bushings) where the metal is super thin if youve ever seen a snaped pair.

So have the boxxers been strengthned since 05?
should i keep the 40's/are they ang stronger?
or should i go 888 airs?

My problem is that im a bit of a diehard boxxer fan i like the progressive feel of boxxers and hated the first 888's because their super linear, i hear they put more compression on for 06 but are they much better, also i had a ride on some 40s and although they felt smooth i didnt realy like the felling of having somthing so big on the front of my bike but i guess id get used to that.

:confused:

cheers :cheers:
The lowers of boxxers have changed only slightly, so strength is about the same. If you are worried about boxxers, then I'd get something else. I've seen a few more boxxers fail, mainly at the arch, than other forks. You should get a fork that you trust more, like a 40 (yes, it's bigger, slightly heavier, but stronger and stiffer, and progressive like you want). The last thing you want to be worried about when blasting down a hill is if your forks are going to break.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I like how when anyone mentions Boxxer some asshat invokes that pic.

"ZOMG HE 50/50'D GOING 40 MPH AND SOMETHING BROKE!?!?!!111 UNACCEPTABLZ!!$1511533"

edit: here, to satisfy the masses

zstyle_22

Monkey
Jan 1, 2004
Centennial, Colorado
So I know everyone has been hating on manitou, but the Travis has seemed to hold up pretty good. I mean our team ran them all year and had no problems (that's 6 forks). And atleast I haven't seen any snap, of course there's always exceptions.

InsideMan

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
On an Island
if the fork holds up then the frame might snap...always something to give when the the pressure exceeds the strength.

Yep, something will break eventually. Its just a part of our sport, look at the conditions we ride in. Last time i checked nothing is indistructable, so if you really like the way the Bxxr's feel then get one. I just bought a 06 Bxxr WC and i wont run anything else it feels like nothing else and made the front of my bike feel so lite.

Feb 13, 2006
What tends to help prevent "snapping" your fork is a healthy dose of riding skill, coupled with using the proper fork for the proper instance.

PinkBike "huckers" who have no skill and spend most of their time seeing how big a "huck" they can do should be on Monster Ts, on a Banshee Scream or Hood Mussel or Brooklyn monstrosity.

If you've broken a fork before, it's a good chance that it was pilot error then and it will be pilot error when you break the next one.

Sorry for the painful truth, hackamore.

Feb 13, 2006
So I know everyone has been hating on manitou,
"Hating" is only used appropriately where the comments are baseless nonsense.

Actual grounded rational criticism is not "hating."

Basically, Manitou sucks. But maybe now that Hayes bought them, things will turn around for Manitou as they did for RockShox after SRAM bought RockShox.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
What tends to help prevent "snapping" your fork is a healthy dose of riding skill, coupled with using the proper fork for the proper instance.

PinkBike "huckers" who have no skill and spend most of their time seeing how big a "huck" they can do should be on Monster Ts, on a Banshee Scream or Hood Mussel or Brooklyn monstrosity.

If you've broken a fork before, it's a good chance that it was pilot error then and it will be pilot error when you break the next one.

what? because only hacks break things right? your level of stupidity makes my head hurt

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Its time for you to try something different if you are having problems with the boxxer. Try an 888 air.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i'll definately support the fact that manitou has some serious quality control issues, but otherwise, i have been very pleased with a few of their actually well made products. my travis triple has been such a great fork so far, i got it about 9 months ago and i just love it. it is so stiff with the reverse arch, and if you get the titanium spring version, then the weight is brought down a little. the intrinsic dampning is really cool, the fork refuses to dive when cornering hard and it also ramps up nicely on the big hits. my only complaint so far is that i wish it had one of the easier axles to deal with, this one has 5 bolts you need to deal with in order to get the front wheel off. otherwise, it is a great fork and i'd highly recommend it.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
In that broken boxxer picture, isnt that from rotorua this year when he completely backsided that ~25 foot water gap at open slope speed? Any fork would break under those conditions, dont be stupid.

If you are really convinced that you are going to break another boxxer, go with the 888air.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
In that broken boxxer picture, isnt that from rotorua this year when he completely backsided that ~25 foot water gap at open slope speed? Any fork would break under those conditions, dont be stupid.

If you are really convinced that you are going to break another boxxer, go with the 888air.
Naw that was a different one. That image is from schladming, where someone else did about the same thing on a different gap. I was right next to the boxxer in rotorua when it broke shooting the gap. It was an INSANE wreck, but the rider walked away, as did the frame.

Feb 13, 2006
what? because only hacks break things right? your level of stupidity makes my head hurt
I suggest you go find some good headache remedies, because what makes your head hurt isn't my stupidity, it's your stupidity. There's nothing anywhere in my post that said only hacks break things. You'd have to be pretty stupid to think that is what I was saying, or you'd have to be a hack who is oversensitive to people criticizing your hackdom.

I suggest you go look up what is a hackamore, you fuggin' eedjit. Do that right after you take your headache remedies, and BEFORE you try to use another unclever putdown that falls flat like a lead balloon.

big cal

Monkey
Nov 18, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
I suggest you go find some good headache remedies, because what makes your head hurt isn't my stupidity, it's your stupidity. There's nothing anywhere in my post that said only hacks break things. You'd have to be pretty stupid to think that is what I was saying, or you'd have to be a hack who is oversensitive to people criticizing your hackdom.

I suggest you go look up what is a hackamore, you fuggin' eedjit. Do that right after you take your headache remedies, and BEFORE you try to use another unclever putdown that falls flat like a lead balloon.
good on ya tough guys, way to have an stupid argument about absolutely nothing.

digger

Chimp
Jun 21, 2006
nowhere you would want to be
I like how when anyone mentions Boxxer some asshat invokes that pic.

"ZOMG HE 50/50'D GOING 40 MPH AND SOMETHING BROKE!?!?!!111 UNACCEPTABLZ!!$1511533"

edit: here, to satisfy the masses

I never said the the shiver was indestructible. After riding one for sometime and seeing how it came through for me and numerous others who have had one, it is hard to go to anything else again. As for the Boxxer, I know it's a stand-up race force but the 32 mm uppers would leave me feeling unsure about how far I could push it. I have "heard" plenty of stories regarding the boxxers not surviving some drops and/or wrecks and I have personally seen 2 pairs of them fail on other riders. The pic that Blue posted is the first I have ever seen of a failed Shiver. I know nothing is invincible but lightweight riders and dh only riders can have the Boxxer, I will stick with what I can feel safe ripping on.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I have plenty more pics of broken shivers, and i've seen twisted monster lowers and even a broken monster stanchion.

Anything is going to break if you beat on it hard enough, I too would be inclined to buy a fork based on its performance benefits - unless you regularly 50/50 case big gaps. In which case i'd suggest a different sport - maybe highjump would teach a few lessons :)

digger

Chimp
Jun 21, 2006
quit doing drops to flat and big, stupid hucks and it should hold up as it should.
I hope you are not referring to me with that statement because I hate drops to flat and I always avoid them, stupid hucks have never been my style either..... I like a smooth landing with plenty of transistion.
With that being said, UDI, I would like to see "the pics" you have of broken Shivers. Not that I am trying to be a diVk, but I have never seen any until tonight.
Besides, there is NO argument, the Shiver is a more superior fork to the Boxxer any day. The Boxxer may be lightweight, but com'on fellas.... it's a girls fork :biggrin:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I hope you are not referring to me with that statement because I hate drops to flat and I always avoid them, stupid hucks have never been my style either..... I like a smooth landing with plenty of transistion.
With that being said, UDI, I would like to see "the pics" you have of broken Shivers. Not that I am trying to be a diVk, but I have never seen any until tonight.
Besides, there is NO argument, the Shiver is a more superior fork to the Boxxer any day. The Boxxer may be lightweight, but com'on fellas.... it's a girls fork :biggrin:
Please go back to pinkbike, thanks. :rolleyes:

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
That broken Boxxer is from the Willingen WorldCup. He cased a medium sized jump, maybe 20 feet long, not going that fast. His rear wheel hit the top of the landing, and the fork slapped down while it was still extended. The stanchions just shot through the lowers rather than compressing. I've seen three Boxxers break myself, one in Vigo, and two in Willingen.

I say keep the 40, they're light, stiff, and adjustable hella. Plus, you already have it.

digger

Chimp
Jun 21, 2006
digger, your ignorance makes my head hurt :twitch:
Jeez, relax! Can you not tell when someone is shelling out sarsacm? My point is simply this... my shivers have NEVER let me down, even though they have more weight by todays standards, which is their only flaw. I have seen these forks rip through all sorts of heavy hits and still perform flawlessly. The Boxxer, like I stated earlier, is a good fork but it has had a more destructive reputation then the Shiver ever has. I feel safe on a Shiver from my personal experiences with the fork and witnessing what the fork is capable of. On the other hand, from what I have heard of and have personally seen, I wouldn't feel so safe on the Boxxer. I am not bagging on R.S. I am just saying I wouldn't run a Boxxer. As a matter of fact, I am seriously considering a Totem.... but then again, the 888 is a great fork too that has already been proven.

digger

Chimp
Jun 21, 2006
That broken Boxxer is from the Willingen WorldCup. He cased a medium sized jump, maybe 20 feet long, not going that fast. His rear wheel hit the top of the landing, and the fork slapped down while it was still extended. The stanchions just shot through the lowers rather than compressing. I've seen three Boxxers break myself, one in Vigo, and two in Willingen.

I say keep the 40, they're light, stiff, and adjustable hella. Plus, you already have it.

I guess you didn't read my eariler post stating that I have personally seen 2 sets of Boxxers fail! :bonk:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
In the awful long time I have been working, riding and racing in this industry, I can say I have probably seen close to every single mtb product ever created fail. Your statement is ridiculous and you sound like an ignorant 15 year old, so you should probably stop.

Rye_Bread

Monkey
Mar 22, 2006
Boulder

I guaranteee you that you will take a million hits way harder than your average pinkbike huck on a typical Mt. Snow DH course....

Feb 13, 2006
I guaranteee you that you will take a million hits way harder than your average pinkbike huck on a typical Mt. Snow DH course....
I think you're missing my point. It's not that there aren't DH race courses that can deal out the pain. No doubt that there are plenty of them.

The point has to do with what happens when you snap a part, whether it's a fork or a frame or a handlebar or a stem or a pedal spindle. Unless the part was defective, usually it's when you're doing something less than smoothly. Maybe a 50/50, maybe a teeny'd landing of a gap, maybe just getting out of shape when you come into a corner a bit too hot.

If it breaks on you and you're riding well, smoothly, etc., then it's probably defective, or you're over its weight limit, or you didn't install or adjust it right. Usually.

Whether Mt Snow is rougher than some of the stupid big road gaps that some of the PinkBikers try to hit, or fantasize about trying to hit, really isn't the point.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
But maybe now that Hayes bought them, things will turn around for Manitou as they did for RockShox after SRAM bought RockShox.
hahaha, i dunno about that one! Its not like Hayes has some incredible record for stellar products or something. Randomly exploding master cylinders, line connectors that snap if you fart audibly, pads that practically dissolve in mud, and lets not forget the monster flop the El Caminos were to the DH community.

The best thing Manitou did this year was stop trying to be some highend fancy ass tech company, and dumbed down every product they made. The Travis is an excellent example of that. Simple damper, with rebound. The progressive damper adjustments on the Intrinsic damper are kind of silly, but hey, maybe thier racers don't like compression damping adjustment. The Nixon is another perfect example of that.

Get rid of the fancy crap and get yer **** right first, then start adding trick stuff, EXACTLY LIKE ROCKSHOX, FOX AND MARZOCCHI DID. THe 888 is a great example of product evolution. From Rebound and Compression, to an air sprung monster with enough adjustments to dial it in for anything ont he planet. Same with Rockshox and the Totem, and Fox's RC2 cart.

As far as becoming a big player against SRAM and Shimano, Hayes is part of that PeteSpeed group, with B1 I think. They are the only gearbox i'd run at the moment, and seem to have the best potential. Now, if they could only make it smaller then a refrigerator, they'd be rocking.

digger

Chimp
Jun 21, 2006
In the awful long time I have been working, riding and racing in this industry, I can say I have probably seen close to every single mtb product ever created fail. Your statement is ridiculous and you sound like an ignorant 15 year old, so you should probably stop.
Granted I have not been afforded the opportunity that you have been to be as involved in the MTN biking community as you have, nor have I had the experiences or connections that you have been graced with, again, involving the biking community. But wholly crap, what is your problem? You just sit back and bag on everyone who is not directly involved in biking as a business, you constantly insult, smear,and make to look like a fool, anyone else who does not have your experience in this industry. I have read more posts from you where you just flat out insult people because you know more then they do instead of passing on friendly advise to others that enjoy the sport and who enjoy sharing their opinion. But I guess in Transend's world, the rest of us monkeys have to sit back and let you just correct us when we are wrong and insult us when we state an opinion because you know everthing. I guess you are the Ridemonkey God! Or at the very least the idoit who is trying to rip off other monkeys by trying to sell a "good" condition orange frame that was riden to $hit and was probably given to you. And you are trying to sell it for an over-priced amount that dosen't even include a shock.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
In the awful long time I have been working, riding and racing in this industry, I can say I have probably seen close to every single mtb product ever created fail. .
Sure everything fails. I entirelly agree. The first step to creating a superior product is to admit earlier flaws. The boxxer have had a tendency to sheer-off legs more than the other brands. It remains an awesome fork but it IS an issue and unlike all the groupies closing an eye saying the problem doesn't exist, I am sure the engineers at SRAM at least look into it and see how they can make a great product even better. Let's face it if "casing a 20' gap at slow speed" once in a while makes you a hack they are a lot of them on this board. Forks should be able to take that kind of hits. I also have seen a buddy shear off a leg on his boxxer team before my eyes at whistler. I am sorry but it IS an issue (the same way 40s crowns had issues and 888 casting had issues). How can you fix something if you don't recognize it?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Not to stroke RockSHox or anything, but I would bet my nutsack they are aware of the issue, and are working to fix it. They have been on top of every other issue the Boxxers have had, in a very impressive time. I can imagine though that redoing the castings for the legs will take a while.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Granted I have not been afforded the opportunity that you have been to be as involved in the MTN biking community as you have, nor have I had the experiences or connections that you have been graced with, again, involving the biking community. But wholly crap, what is your problem? You just sit back and bag on everyone who is not directly involved in biking as a business, you constantly insult, smear,and make to look like a fool, anyone else who does not have your experience in this industry. I have read more posts from you where you just flat out insult people because you know more then they do instead of passing on friendly advise to others that enjoy the sport and who enjoy sharing their opinion. But I guess in Transend's world, the rest of us monkeys have to sit back and let you just correct us when we are wrong and insult us when we state an opinion because you know everthing. I guess you are the Ridemonkey God! Or at the very least the idoit who is trying to rip off other monkeys by trying to sell a "good" condition orange frame that was riden to $hit and was probably given to you. And you are trying to sell it for an over-priced amount that dosen't even include a shock.
You make yourself look like a fool, I don't need to do anything except point it out.