Quantcast

Forkskins - great name, questionable product

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Hmmm I remember someone had that name and .com a few years ago LOL.... Good product but clear protectors show off the graphics and do a custom print then laminate it you have whatever you like... Good idea though if it can be even more conveinent then zip ties you could slap it on quick for shuttling and certain things then unvelcro (hint hint) and it would be in the pack...

Aside of that they did a hell of a job on the mold and fit, now do it in clear plastic....

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Definitely not a questionable product for the UK market where bikes get raped on shoddy uplifts!

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Someone needs to make a product called Forskins and have it look like this:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
reminds me of the clear poly that Highland has ziptied to their rental Trek downtubes.

Kind of a cool idea, but (in the case of the Trek) it seems a little silly to build a bike so light that it needs that kind of aftermarket protection.

ucsbMTBmember

Monkey
Nov 20, 2009
Aside of that they did a hell of a job on the mold and fit, now do it in clear plastic....
due to them being cnc machined its not possible to make them out of a clear plastic and have the plastic stay clear. the plastic colors and turns white once you take an end mill to it.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
due to them being cnc machined its not possible to make them out of a clear plastic and have the plastic stay clear. the plastic colors and turns white once you take an end mill to it.
That's an easy fix:thumb: When i worked in the advertising/signage industry we used to get things cnc/router cut out of clear acrylic or polycarbonate. This did leave a white edge which can be made to disappear by quickly passing a flame over the machined surface, kind of fusing the edges back into a clear finish:D

DHPeteinSC

Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
In the KY (jelly) E-town
That's an easy fix:thumb: When i worked in the advertising/signage industry we used to get things cnc/router cut out of clear acrylic or polycarbonate. This did leave a white edge which can be made to disappear by quickly passing a flame over the machined surface, kind of fusing the edges back into a clear finish:D
You are correct!!! or you can buff it out with compound.:D

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
reminds me of the clear poly that Highland has ziptied to their rental Trek downtubes.

Kind of a cool idea, but (in the case of the Trek) it seems a little silly to build a bike so light that it needs that kind of aftermarket protection.
I don't think Highland was concerned about the weight, probably more concerned with dented downtubes on their rentals..

I thought the idea was dumb when I first saw it on Dirt, mainly b/c they used the CF overlay, I'd agree that clear would be much nicer, but I can see overtime the clear getting cloudy and mud getting stuck underneath it.. zip tie, velcro, rubber strap system where it could be easily installed and removed would be a better solution(at least more aesthetically pleasing)

Last edited:

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
"They are CNC machined in the UK, from approximately 2mm abs carbon looking plastic"

I'm not gonna say total BS, but that is being economical with the truth "A little machining/drilling to make sure you can put your axle, etc through" is gonna be more like it

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
I say we bring back fork boots!

Those guards are a nice idea but a pretty ghetto excecution. Would be much nicer to see a manufacturer step up and include a nicely integrated system on their product.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Are you saying the forkskins are ghetto? They actually look pretty nice, IMO. If you're saying that about the Core Rat guards, then yeah. The zip ties are ghetto, those could be done better.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Do people really puncture their lowers that often?

$50 dollars for something that's only purpose is to help with resale? I mean it's not like it adds aesthetically to the fork and it's just going to get nackered, nicked, and dirty like any fork lower so it's not adding anything to the actual riders experience as far as looks go....

Also, I think high fork turnover, the internet, bro-deals, and sponsored riders selling their 1 year old stuff at super low costs has more of an effect on fork resale than how it "looks".

Pretty silly product IMHO unless your ripping open your lowers all the time because of where you ride.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
I like the idea but think the carbon weave looks cheap and nasty. I can see them being of benefit considering how rubbish the paint and stickers are on the new boxxer. I've mine since Feb and even with bike tape on to protect them i still have loads of scrathes and bits missing from uplifts at races.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Jul 14, 2010
I agree.... Why Titanium.. Just why.. Aluminum would be good enough and have adequate strength:rant:
I'm from Drift, we actually tried a number of different materials when developing the product. Including Steel, Aluminium and carbon fibre. Unfortunately Aluminium was just too weak at 0.5mm, it is literally like the foil you cook on. Steel was pretty cool as it was so easy to form and tough, however it was too heavy. Carbon Fibre was actually totally hopeless, at the grades to make it economical it was too brittle. So in the end we used ti, which works the best although is difficult to form.

If you do read this, i'd be interested to hear what you think about using a heavier material like steel. The protectors would probably weigh about 200g, but would that worry you?

Anyway, drop me an email if you've got any thoughts, I've got some bits and pieces to give away so please do get in touch.

James

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
Did you think about Aramid(kevlar)? Very high puncture resistance an good with abrasion too..... After all your fork protectors are sorta like a helmet/ bullet proof vest for your fork legs:D

Just an idea:thumb:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Lexan? I remember my RC car days from 20+ years ago that the stuff was used for the car body material. From what I remember it was fairly tough and easy to mold. Perhaps there is a modern plastic that has replaced it, or would be a better option.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
James, not sure what it is but I dont think many would go for the steel ones. It's not something that's worth taking off for races to save weight, as your fork would just get battered on that uplift instead.

75g's on the other hand is just a fit and forget item - just a shame my fork already bares too many battle scars to make it worthwhile :(

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
It's called flame polishing........words really well when done right.