Quantcast

Former members of Pantera shot and killed.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
dexterq20 said:
Tee hee hee... your location is a part of the female anatomy. That makes me laugh.
It sounds like it'd be in another galaxy though doesnt it? Like next to Aproxima Centauri or something?

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
BurlyShirley said:
It sounds like it'd be in another galaxy though doesnt it? Like next to Aproxima Centauri or something?
Yeah, but in reality it's right next to Labia Majora, Introitus, Prepuce, and Clitoris. Not so subtle now, is it? :p

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
That sucks so bad. They have been saying on the radio this morning that Vinnie is the other member to have been killed. And the author of the storry couldn't even get the name of the band right. Its Damageplan, not play. Retards.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
SiNNiK said:
Rest in Peace, Dimebag Darrell and Vinnie Paul.
I hope that's not right; I'd heard Vinnie was shot but was going to make it. This just sucks. Those brothers were about as cool and down-to earth as anyone who makes it big. I hung out and partied with them back in the "Cowboys From Hell" and "Vulgar Display of Power" days and one of my fishing buddies was Vinnie P's drum tech/tuner back then. Both were genuine guys, masterful musicians and fun-loving connoisseurs of the K. So fuggin' typical that some low-life loser who has accomplished nothing themself in this life has to snuff out people who have just so that somebody will remember their name and worthless existence. :angry:

Check out some of their awards:
1997 GRAMMY NOMINATION
BEST METAL PERFORMANCE: Pantera, Suicide Note Part 1
1998 GRAMMY NOMINATION
BEST METAL PERFORMANCE: Pantera, Cemetary Gates

2001 GRAMMY NOMINATION
BEST METAL PERFORMANCE: Pantera, Revolution is my Name

METAL EDGE 2001 READERS POLL
BEST GUITARIST #1: Dimebag Darrell
BEST DRUMMER #1: Vinnie Paul
BEST BASSIST #1: Rex Brown
BEST VOCALIST #1: Philip Anselmo
ALBUM OF THE YEAR #1: Pantera Reinventing The Steel
ALBUM COVER OF THE YEAR #1: Pantera Reinventing The Steel

SONG OF THE YEAR #1: Pantera Revolution is my Name

GUITAR WORLD 2001 READERS POLL
MOST VALUABLE PLAYER #5: Dimebag Darrell
BEST METAL GUITARIST #1: Dimebag Darrell
BEST METAL GUITAR ALBUM OF 2000 #1: Pantera Reinventing The Steel

GUITAR WORLD 2002 READERS POLL
MOST VALUABLE PLAYER #5: Dimebag Darrell
BEST METAL GUITARIST #4: Dimebag Darrell

METAL EDGE 2002 READERS POLL
BEST GUITARIST #2: Dimebag Darrell
BEST DRUMMER #2: Vinnie Paul
BEST BASSIST #1: Rex Brown
BEST VOCALIST #3: Philip Anselmo
TOUR OF THE YEAR #3: Extreme Steel
BAND YOU WANT TO SEE ON OZZFEST 2002 #2: Pantera

GUITAR WORLD 2003 READERS POLL
BEST METAL GUITARIST #1: Dimebag Darrell
BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT #5: No new album from Pantera

GUITAR WORLD 2004 READERS POLL
BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT #3: The break up of Pantera

GUITAR WORLD's TOP 100 METAL GUITARIST
TOP METAL GUITARIST OF ALL TIME #7: Dimebag Darrell

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
llkoolkeg said:
I hope that's not right; I'd heard Vinnie was shot but was going to make it. This just sucks. Those brothers were about as cool and down-to earth as anyone who makes it big. I hung out and partied with them back in the "Cowboys From Hell" and "Vulgar Display of Power" days and one of my fishing buddies was Vinnie P's drum tech/tuner back then. Both were genuine guys, masterful musicians and fun-loving connoisseurs of the K. So fuggin' typical that some low-life loser who has accomplished nothing themself in this life has to snuff out people who have just so that somebody will remember their name and worthless existence. :angry:
I just don't understand. How wrong does your brain have to be wired to just decide one day that you're going to go out and kill a bunch of people like that?

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
Back in the 90’s Pantera was huge here in Texas and I saw them many times from small venues to stadium size shows and they still kicked ass as the only band that could maybe rival Slayer for a live metal show. Pantera’s “vulgar display of power” is one of the cd’s that I normally listen to when I’m warming up on the trainer before a race. I hope we find out why the guy shot Darrel.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
Hello Kitty said:
Back in the 90’s Pantera was huge here in Texas and I saw them many times from small venues to stadium size shows and they still kicked ass
Yah, dude. . . accessible metal gods for sure.

If I remember right, some of the members opened up a strip club near Dallas and would hang out there regularly. I wonder if it's still around?

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
Fathead said:
If I remember right, some of the members opened up a strip club near Dallas and would hang out there regularly. I wonder if it's still around?
Correct. It's called "The Clubhouse".

From their website:
Dimebag Darrell, Four Others Killed In Ohio Concert Shooting

Dimebag Darrell, guitarist for Damageplan and Pantera, was killed during a shooting spree at a Columbus, Ohio, nightclub Wednesday night. He was 38.

Darrell, real name Darrell Abbott, was among the five dead in the incident, including the as-yet-unnamed shooter and two fans, Nathan Bray and Erin Halk, according to Columbus Police public information officer Sherry Mercurio.

Damageplan had just begun their first song in front of several hundred at Alrosa Villa when the gunman jumped onstage, made a comment about Pantera's breakup, and began firing at close range into Darrell's body, shooting him several times before opening fire on the crowd.

Mercurio said an officer in the vicinity heard the call of shots fired shortly after 10 p.m., snuck in the back door of the venue and confronted the gunman onstage. When the officer took the stage, he observed one victim and the gunman holding a hostage by the neck. The officer opened fire on the male suspect, whose name has not been released pending notification of next of kin. Mercurio said the fifth victim's name and those of the two wounded have also not yet been released. Several reports stated that the club had no metal detector, though Mercurio could not confirm that at press time and a club spokesperson could not be reached.

"If the officer hadn't acted when he did and how he did, we'd probably be looking at more dead, because this guy was actively shooting," said public information officer Sergeant Brent Mull. Following the incident, police took more than 200 patrons onto three city-donated buses to interview them about the shooting.

"The ones that were inside and witnessed this ran for their lives and were in fear for their lives," Mull said. "They are victims too, and we want to take care of them."

As news of Dimebag's tragic demise rippled through the metal community, the news was met with shock and sadness.

"I'm speechless," former Rob Zombie/ Ozzy Osbourne bassist Rob Blasko Nicholson said. "This is totally unreal. Dimebag is a f---ing legend and this is total bullsh--." Damageplan also features Dimebag's brother, former Pantera drummer Vinnie Paul; singer Patrick Lachman and bassist Bob Zilla.

"This is insane and this is beyond travesty," Killswitch Engage frontman and former Damageplan tour partner Howard Jones said. "This is beyond anything I've ever heard. This shouldn't happen in or outside of the rock and metal community. He will be missed and mourned as a person, as a musician, and as a friend."

I really don't think Vinnie was killed. I heard he was shot and hit the floor, but that he's expected to survive.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
www.knac.com is playing pantera/damageplan all day long.
crank it up!

for those that don't know (shirly..) Dimebag got his nick name in a kind of round about way. back when pantera was a wuss rock band (hair band) he went by the name of diamond darrell (hahahahah).
later, he started smoked large quantitys of weed and someone called him Dimebag because, well, you know, weed comes in dimebags....:D

that is how I heard it, who knows, it may be incorrect.

anywho, tune into knac.com and crank that sh1t up!

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Damn, so Dimebag is dead huh... That guy was one of the baddest guitarists in Metal... RIP dude. Wonder what the shooting was over? The dude obviously had a beef with DD.

[edit: guy was screaming about Pantara's breakup before opening fire... WTF!!!]

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
well if that's true, he should have shot phil. :D

knac.com <--- go, listen. crank it!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
This fuggin sucks. How sad! Dimebag and Vinnie were awesome musicians and nice people. I mourn their loss.

As for the cowardly POS who did this, I hope they fry :angry:

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I don't think vinnie is dead. but the shooter is, unfortunitly. cop shot him.

knac.com <--go, listen. PANTERA!!!!!!

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
Echo said:
One of the news stories said the guy was pissed that Pantera broke up.
Well that makes a lotta fargin' sense! Your favorite band is no longer making music together so you go and kill it's founding members??? Sounds like the same kind of nutjob loser that kills his own kid just to get back at his ex-wife. The only good to come of this story is that at least the loser died in the same manner as his victims, although the officer was undoubtedly a better shot and loser suffered less. :angry:

"...I'd kill myself for you;
I'd kill you for myself..."
-from "This Love"

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
:(

This sucks. All those guys from Pantera are good people, I toured w/ them a bunch in '96 and '97. From what I'm hearing, I've lost at least three freinds in this.

RIP

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I updated my avatar to honor the loss. Cemetery gates is on the I-tunes now and it has new meaning.... :(

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
Hawkeye said:
Didn't the shooter just hear Motley Crue got back together? I mean there was hope for a Pantera reunion.
Further evidence that there is no justice in the world.

Grendal

Chimp
Mar 30, 2003
Down South
I would have loved to been the one who shot the sob who killed Dimebag. I met them at there strip club once, it was an honor...

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
BurlyShirley said:
WTF kind of name is Dimebag Darrell?

Sucks he's dead though I guess.
You Guess ?!?!?! Pantera is was/Is one of the Best Bands in the world IMO!
Dude, I'm so upset and pissed off that I can't even see straight.
Pantera was/Is my Favorite Band in the world.
I was just warming up to Damage Plan, And I love the new stuff.
I also love Phil's bands Down and Super Joint Ritual.
I was hoping for a Reunion someday. Now it will never happen
Thanks to some A-hole whom commits a senseless crime.
How do people become so f....ed in the head??? WTF????

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
bpatterson6 said:
You Guess ?!?!?! Pantera is was/Is one of the Best Bands in the world IMO!
Dude, I'm so upset and pissed off that I can't even see straight.
Pantera was/Is my Favorite Band in the world.
I was just warming up to Damage Plan, And I love the new stuff.
I also love Phil's bands Down and Super Joint Ritual.
I was hoping for a Reunion someday. Now it will never happen
Thanks to some A-hole whom commits a senseless crime.
How do people become so f....ed in the head??? WTF????
Exactly my thoughts although I loved DamagePlan from the get go. I feel so lucky now. I got to see them on the Headbangers Ball Tour back in March. They played at this little club in Johnson City called Rafters. It was the best concert I have ever been to. Got to say a few things to the brothers and they both were really nice guys. Of all the people in the world they had to take a good one. This sucks.

flow

Chimp
May 6, 2003
Vancouver
So sad. Pantera has always been one of my favourite bands and Vugar Display of Power has been in my car CD changer for the last year. Dime and Vinnie are my favourite guitarist and drummer and I can't believe someone who would call themself a fan would do this.

I was on vaction in Texas a couple years ago and went to some meat market called Cowboys in Arlington. I noticed that Dime, VP, Sweet Pea and few others in the VIP section so went over to Dime and offered him a shot of CrownRoyal. He was so stoked to meet a Canadian in TX who was into Pantera that we ended up getting absolutely wasted together. They were so down to earth and approachable, even though I was hung-over for the next two days, it was a night I'll never forget.

RIP Dime :cry: