Quantcast

Forming a Building/Trail Group

ggriffin80

Chimp
Jun 29, 2009
I am trying to organize a group to do some building in the winchester/front royal area this winter. I would like to see an area with some shore style stuff go in somewhere, but I do not know where. I am new to the east coast, which is why I am trying to form a group. I figure the more people we can get involved the stronger we can make a pitch for building on forest land or some other area. Also, I haven't really checked out too much of the terrain, so any input would be awesome.
In addition to some forest work, it would be sweet to get a pump track or dedicated mountain bike jump line put in somewhere accessible for kids and people in the community. Let me know if you could be interested. Thanks for reading.

S

seespotendo

Hey, Great idea. I live in Front Royal whenever I'm not at college in Lynchburg, but during winter break I'd be glad to come out.

-Nick

Matt 891

Chimp
Apr 14, 2008
Salem, VA
I would guess that there already is an established trail work group in your area. 100 percent sure that the group is XC oriented but joining in and helping work on existing trails is the first step to getting stuff put in that is more your style.

It might take awhile but thats how it goes. Roanoke recently gots its first bit of legal Freeride-ish type stuff thanks to the interest stirred up by the Freeride group.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Hey, just saw this. It's still winter, right?

There are jumps in Winchester, never been but I'm told they're pretty big. Definitely going to need some work when all this stuff melts.

There is also the BMX track off 81.

As for dh riding, you have a couple existing options that I know about but none are particularly convenient to you in Winchester. Elizabeth's furnace has some pretty intense downhills (very rocky) but you've gotta earn your descent. No way to shuttle without a west virginia lockpick. You're also not going to get away with building anything secret in that area I don't think. Too much traffic and ranger activity. I'd love to see that road to the top get opened to shuttle vehicles and maybe cut some mtb specific trails tho.

There are also trails in GW national forest and some others in Cacapon State Park that you can shuttle.

I also have a growing trail network on my family's 10 acres on 601 in Bluemont. Some north shore, some jumps, mostly rocky fast dh with a pretty decent shuttle (gotta push up 100 yards out of the woods for some of the trails). I usually shuttle with my quad, but some buddies have pickups too.

There is also a longer shuttle run down a power line cut near to my place, but you have to pedal through rolling terrain for half an hour to get back to the road. I've been looking for other spots like this and I think there is potential on our mountain, but I've been waiting for the melt out to go prospecting. In general though, Google earth is your friend.

S

seespotendo

where are those winchester jumps you are talking about? I'd be interested.
I'd also be interested in what trails you have shuttled at Cacapon State Park.

and the furnace is a great spot to ride, I plan on taking the downhill bike there asap

there are a couple trails in the GR Thompson Wildlife Area, which is in the Linden area, that are shuttle-able to a degree.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I've never ridden it, but if you get their trail map, there is a dirt road up to the ridge, and you can come down off it back to the parking lot.