Quantcast

Forming a secret brother/sisterhood in

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
I'm down, id preffer if it was legal..or maybe kind of forwned upon as opposed to jumping fences and that kind of shiz.

I know one of the dudes who built the stuff up in Capitol Forest recently has a new spot that he says is pretty covert...

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I have to ask this and I mean no disrespect, but what's with the covert, the stealth and the illegal? Is it too much work to try and get permission? You want instant gratification? You've run into a lot of road blocks when trying to get something legal going? Can't handle meetings?

I know every area is different, but we've found the lands people incredibly open to working with us (over here) provided we have some methodology to what we are doing. I'm not ready to unveil what-all we are working on yet, but we have a lot of things cooking here, that were just a matter of a) being organized b) having a plan c) having civilized discussions with the powers that be. I'm not going to stand in judgement and say what you want to do is wrong, but have you even considered going the other way? Sure it might take longer, involve meetings, planning and patience but if you end up with something that it recognzied and not going to be torn down, it's worth it.

geargrrl

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
I'm 24 and only getting older, hehe dont want to wait 5 years for the permission to build a 1ft tall rollercoaster ;)

but as I was saying...none of us have a wooded piece of land?

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
pangeist said:
Capitol Forest needs some backwoods renovations. If they can clearcut.........
I won't be a hypocrite and say don't do covert, but Capitol Forrest?
Your just asking for it to last 3 weeks.
Seems like there is plenty of wooded, hilly areas down that way.
Building in a place that they haven't told you not to build in is one thing, but to go in someplace where they have specificaly said no is just asking for trouble.
My $.02

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
All jokes aside, getting together some footage of some quality built trails (some of that northshore stuff is maticulous) and putting together a presentation in hopes to get a stretch of downhill land somewhere up in the woods doesn't seem toooooooo far fetched. Especially if we could get one that's off the beaten path that dirtbikers and other vulnerable people wont come across.

Like the dude above said, I'd certainly be down to pound some nails but I'd really be stoked to have a trail we could improve on infinitely without worrying our hard work is going to be torn down.

I used to be in Search and Rescue, and I know our organization had received the thumbs up to train on the Simpson property, maybe we could hook something like that up if we cleared the land owners of all liability.

God damnit, people are just to sue happy in this country and it's ruined everything

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
Specifically I am thinking more along the lines of materials found onsite aside from fasteners and the like, not a big construction oriented project, and as far as the approval thing goes, yeah it sounds great. Who wants to start lobbying the local heads for permission? How many months/years does that take? Meanwhile.......................................I just want to build some natural obstacles in the forest, out of the way, under cover of darkness. Move some logs around and ride them, build some hops and jumps, log rides, skinnies..........come on. Where is are first meeting going to take place?

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
And as far as a private landowner, that seems more feasable. Getting the Gov to approve something? Yeah its probably the ethical thing to do.....

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
im with you on the natural thing, dirt kickers reinforced with fallen timber etc

I saw a link a while back about this guy who built a cat walk around a tree and it was insanely maticulous, there's no way anyone could say no to building something like that.

Anyhow I'd be great if we received the ok for a patch of land and could really put some work into it like these folks do with what they have
http://www.nsmba.bc.ca/traildaypics/cbcprob/cbcstepsection.htm

Hell..maybe we could volunteer to do hiking trail maintence or plant some trees in exchange for the ok..

just pitching some ideas

SR

Monkey
Dec 8, 2001
Olympia WA
I've suggested it before in one of the other similar threads, but Tumwater Hill is a pretty good place. We used to have a trail there a few years back. No real point keeping this spot secret since they've recently developed up there so it may be a short lived spot. It would be fun to have a local trail with some stuff. Probably not the best idea to have manmade structures and nails and such with the looming development. But some nice berms, gaps jumps ect would be cool, especially as a temp spot until the long road to "legal" trails is completed. Plus theres a nice sized rock drop at the bottom and some other cool natural terrain that could be put to good use with a bit of creativity :)

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
lets do something.... building some dirt mound kickers on a trail isn't all THAT labor intensive and dirt is free....I'd also imagine DNR wouldn't have as much of a cow over a dirtmound then pieces of wood nailed into stuff.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
thesacrifice said:
lets do something.... building some dirt mound kickers on a trail isn't all THAT labor intensive and dirt is free....I'd also imagine DNR wouldn't have as much of a cow over a dirtmound then pieces of wood nailed into stuff.
Natural tech trail with dirt take offs..... ladders are a beacon to draw more attention....

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
SR said:
I've suggested it before in one of the other similar threads, but Tumwater Hill is a pretty good place. We used to have a trail there a few years back. No real point keeping this spot secret since they've recently developed up there so it may be a short lived spot. It would be fun to have a local trail with some stuff. Probably not the best idea to have manmade structures and nails and such with the looming development. But some nice berms, gaps jumps ect would be cool, especially as a temp spot until the long road to "legal" trails is completed. Plus theres a nice sized rock drop at the bottom and some other cool natural terrain that could be put to good use with a bit of creativity :)
I remember that place.... you guys had a good start....

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
Well....legal or not it sure would be nice to get together and really do something. I think no-tech natural building with dirt and logs is the way to go and less likely to be scrutinized as heavily. After all its biodegradable.....(tongueincheek..get it)

SUMMERS COMIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SR

Monkey
Dec 8, 2001
Olympia WA
I know someone with some property who always says he's eventually going to build some stuff but never does :p

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
SR said:
I know someone with some property who always says he's eventually going to build some stuff but never does :p

Yea, i think i know that guy as well...... :)

Seriously though, i do think of it all the time, its just other things come up..... once the kid is older ill probably spend more time at home having him teach me no handers..... :)

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
SR said:
does his land have any downgrade to it? Hit him up again, tell him you have som eager mo****as who would love to put some time in building in exchange for riding

X-C Phantom

Chimp
Dec 9, 2004
Puget Sound
oly said:
Dont think so, but i met a guy yesterday who talked to me about some stuff on someones private property. Possibly the same?
Well Stella Ridge is on BPA land. It is of the all natural design you all speak of. No lumber, no nails, but some big ass log rides and stump jumps etc.

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
oh ya. if you guys got property, i got a john deere 4310 w/loader. we could dig vast swaths out of "your" property. up "your" probability of a lawsuit. i dont mind, i just have a tractor. kidding aside, it would take alot of the time out of digging a nice, small set of dirt jumps or flow track in someones fallow field.