Quantcast

Formula 1 returns to the States

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
We finally are getting F1 back into the States! the only downside is that its in Austin,Texas. :think:

Formula One World Championship Limited and Formula One Administration Limited (together, the F1 Commercial Rights Holder) and Full Throttle Productions, LP, promoter of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™, announce that a historic agreement has been reached for Austin, Texas to serve as the host city of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ for years 2012 through 2021.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/5/10824.html

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Any team based in the US is bound to fail.

You'd be a retard to base a NASCAR team out of London or Rio, right? Why is a US based F1 team any different?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the race should have stayed in Monticello...
http://jalopnik.com/5548584/how-new-york-got-screwed-by-formula-1

Any team based in the US is bound to fail.

You'd be a retard to base a NASCAR team out of London or Rio, right? Why is a US based F1 team any different?
USF1 picked its location because of the large population of qualified mechanics and the new state of the art wind tunnels in and around the Carolinas.
plus they were also going to have a HQ in Europe, since most of the season is spent there and in Asia.
its too bad Ken Anderson had to find out the hard way that corporate sponsors are hard to come by.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
its a little clearer now...$25mil to Bernie :rolleyes:

Money in this fund was initially supposed to go to local governments, but a rewrite last year by the Texas Legislature to the state law dictating how the fund can be used allowed the State Comptroller's office to do whatever it needs to do for "attracting and securing eligible events."

This means the money for local governments to improve infrastructure is going to pay the hefty $25 million Formula 1 sanctioning fee
http://jalopnik.com/5553427/texas-taxpayers-fork-over-25-million-to-f1
http://www.statesman.com/news/texas-politics/texas-taxpayers-would-foot-1st-formula-one-bill-721621.html

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
IMO this is better than rumored jersey city/nyc. Hopefully by 2012 we will also have a better rule book and I'll be excited for every race, but i digress.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
IMO this is better than rumored jersey city/nyc. Hopefully by 2012 we will also have a better rule book and I'll be excited for every race, but i digress.
they were never really in the running. especially after the mayor shot it down.

Monticello's private race track was thought to be top-runner and they were expecting to have a press conference to announce that....but then Austin came into light.
then again, its not like the deal for Austin happened overnight. its been in works for some time now.

i personally like some of the rules...no refueling results in blazing fast pit stops. KERS is out (although can still be used if wanted).
slicks are back and the cars looks great again

Last edited:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
On a similar note, I'm actually quite excited about the Baltimore GP next year. Mostly because its a 10 minute walk to the course. A nice residual perk is that the city is repaving/improving tons of roads in preparation for the race.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
On a similar note, I'm actually quite excited about the Baltimore GP next year. Mostly because its a 10 minute walk to the course. A nice residual perk is that the city is repaving/improving tons of roads in preparation for the race.
should be interesting to see the new cars for next year. IndyCar has finally made it to spec racing
racing in downtown Baltimore should be sweet. might have to make the 2 hour drive down there!